Why does my truck reak of gas? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 29th, 2007, 09:22 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Why does my truck reak of gas?

I just filled up and when I parked my truck in my garage I thought I was going to pass out. It smells like I dumped gas on the floor. It seems to smell like this in my garage everytime I get home lately. I am not dumping any gas that I know of so what gives?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 29th, 2007, 11:09 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
You probably have a split breather hose somewhere. Either the return hose to the filler or one of the small breathers coming off the top of the tank leading to the vapor recovery unit.
Old November 29th, 2007, 11:42 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

I'm assuming the Vapor Recovery Unit is the metal box in the RR wheel well with lines going to the tank? If so, is it the same on a 90 and a 110 and does anyone have a good one? Mine isn't leaking but it is so horribly rusted that I would prefer to replace it while I am doing all the rest of the work.
Advertisement

Old November 30th, 2007, 12:53 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Is it an easy fix?
Old November 30th, 2007, 07:19 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
At least on the 94 and 95 defenders, the vapor recovery system goes through a plastic unit in the wheelwell and is routed all the way to the inside of the front right fender behind the headlight for the actual canister. Its super-easy to fix when you find the problem, but in Barry's case, the leak is probably on top of the gas tank, to which access is, to say the least, difficult. Both my 90's developed breaks on the vent hose running to the filler neck where the passed over the chassis rail. This resulted in a very clean trailer wiring harness, but an environmental disaster every time I filled the tank.

Follow-up Post:

Here are a couple pics of the top of the tank. I didnt need vapor recovery for the diesel, so you can see where I blocked off the vapor recovery fittings. Note that there is also frequently fuel leakage from around the fittings themselves - the rubber gaskets dry out and leak fuel down the side of the tank and onto the skid plate, so you never see it, but you smell it. The blue hose (yours will be black) is the one that broke on both my the 90's - right where it passes under the wiring harness (note the harness on NAS trucks runs through the chassis rail).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_DSCF0035v3.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	11185   Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_DSCF0034v3.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	11186  

Old November 30th, 2007, 10:14 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Thanks for the info. Do I have to pull the tank to fix? Do I want to do this myself or bring it in?
Old November 30th, 2007, 01:54 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

I have not looked at the filler neck of the d90 before but if it was like my old range rover check the hose from the filler neck to the tank, make sure it isn't loose. My old rover reaked of gas after I filled it up also for this reason. Finally one day I was wheeling and got stuck while off camber got out only to witness gas pouring out from the filler neck. Probably not it but just a thought.
Old November 30th, 2007, 03:09 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

thanks I will check that out
Old November 30th, 2007, 05:04 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf
I just filled up and when I parked my truck in my garage I thought I was going to pass out. It smells like I dumped gas on the floor. It seems to smell like this in my garage everytime I get home lately. I am not dumping any gas that I know of so what gives?
Have you checked your diet? Maybe you need to cut down on the burrito intake?

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old November 30th, 2007, 07:14 PM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
I had a dry rotted filler hose and it was split and would spew gas after I filled up.

97 D90 SW
Old November 30th, 2007, 08:46 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

any time i park the truck stinks. So is this a do it yourself job?
Old December 1st, 2007, 12:11 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Its DIY as long as you can get your skid plate to come loose (perhaps youre in luck if your truck has always been in LA). Best thing to do is buy all new hoses (filler, vent, breathers) and cut the ones you have to ease removal. The tank also needs to be pretty empty before you try to drop it unless you dont mind wresling a 75+ pound gas filled box out from under your truck.
Old December 1st, 2007, 12:49 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

I was actually thinking of replacing the skidplate too. Here is a question, what happens if I do nothing?
Old December 1st, 2007, 12:57 AM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

This...

But seriously, there is no definitive answer as to what will happen but it is absolutely something that should be repaired ASAP. Not to mention, if you are parking it in your garage it is filling the garage with fumes which are highly explosive. It is a misconception that fuel is explosive. Fuel itself is highly flamable but it is the fumes that are explosive and far more dangerous.
Old December 1st, 2007, 12:59 AM
1000kva
paul girard

http://splodetv.com/tannerite-3-gallons-gas-fun
Tannerite+3 Gallons of Gas= FUN! | SplodeTV.com

Or I would assume something like that

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
gas