Why did my truck pop the bottom hose? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 2nd, 2010, 07:08 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Why did my truck pop the bottom hose?

Ok so I've been using the car fine all day, just went to move it and got stuck in some traffic, the temp gauge kept rising and I could get it back down only when moving. Got home asap and parked up and found coolant coming out of the area near the bottom hose on the water pump.

I need to move the truck by end of tomorrow, so options:

Best case - it's popped the bottom hose because the fan failed to cut in? Reseat / repair hose - limp to somewhere I can work on the truck properly?

Should I throw in some Radiator stop leak?

I checked the fan operation only yesterday ... but Is suspect it's a bit temperamental ... is that possible??

Is it possible to force the fan to run all the time?

Worst case ... Fan clutch? Water Pump?

------ Follow up post added October 2nd, 2010 08:03 PM ------

OK so a bit of torch light spannering, removed the hose and reseated it ... the jubilee clip didn't look like it was in a great place ... so hopefully have put it in a better location.

I did notice in the workshop manual that the thermostat needs to be orientated with the little hole at the top ... I didn't know this so will need to investigate that ... can cause an air lock and associated fluid loss ....

Nightmare scenario head gasket?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 3rd, 2010, 09:20 AM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
Ok, why don't you start by telling us what changed since you have this problem. You installed a new Thermostat? Did you bleed the cooling system?
What type of coolant are you using?
When is the last time you fluted your cooling system?
Typically, the problem you describe is due to a failed or failing fan clutch (that is "if nothing changed since it worked"). But of course, there could be other issues.
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )
Old October 3rd, 2010, 11:40 AM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonLand View Post
Typically, the problem you describe is due to a failed or failing fan clutch (that is "if nothing changed since it worked"). But of course, there could be other issues.
x2
Probably simple.
Evaluate the fan clutch (search here) tighten the hose. Re fill the system and bleed.

Dont let it get hot though. If that does not do the trick... look at your radiator, then start thinking about bigger things.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 3rd, 2010, 12:13 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Head gaskets aren't that big a deal. Time consuming but not difficult.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old October 3rd, 2010, 09:06 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
The water pump decided to retire .... What a pig of a job! I couldn't get the fan off, was worried I'd break something to took out the rad to get the clearance for some long bolts ...

I'm just about to order up some spares ... Is the consensus to change the fan clutch at the same time?
Old October 4th, 2010, 05:44 AM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
I would re-bleed the cooling system and make sure there is enough coolant. Did you crank up the cabin heater up to force the air out? Of course you have to make sure the thermostat in correctly installed too since it seems it was not. Personally, I would not throw parts at the problem. You can check that the fan clutch is working (do a search here) [actually... Why don't you change it, I'll buy your broken one for $30 including shipping! ]
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )
Old October 4th, 2010, 08:47 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonLand View Post
I would re-bleed the cooling system and make sure there is enough coolant. Did you crank up the cabin heater up to force the air out? Of course you have to make sure the thermostat in correctly installed too since it seems it was not. Personally, I would not throw parts at the problem. You can check that the fan clutch is working (do a search here) [actually... Why don't you change it, I'll buy your broken one for $30 including shipping! ]
Every time I've tested it it seems to lock up ... I can't count the number of battered rolled up newspapers I have ... any more parts I should change? ;-)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions