Why can't someone just stamp out an aluminum Guage Bezel for our D90's? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 4th, 2011, 07:31 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Question Why can't someone just stamp out an aluminum Guage Bezel for our D90's?

Mine has seen better days, and I know I brought this up awhile back but it sure would be nice if someone could biuld a Bezel out of aluminum by stamping it on a die and trimming it for fitting and its guages. Sure I could do this myself, but, it would look like shat. Anyone ever thought of this, I mean we got guy molding door cards already, why not dash bezels?

Robert Deniro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 4th, 2011, 07:48 PM
kevkon
kevin
1994 D90 300tdi #730, SIII 88

If you mean the main instrument panel,I just made a carbon fiber one for my D90. You can get a plain stainless one from the UK. I also made carbon fiber switch and center instument panels.
Old February 4th, 2011, 08:02 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevkon View Post
If you mean the main instrument panel,I just made a carbon fiber one for my D90. You can get a plain stainless one from the UK. I also made carbon fiber switch and center instument panels.
Nice, did you use the original as a mold? I think I've seen the stainless ones from the UK but its just the face plate cover, not the entire piece right?

Robert Deniro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 4th, 2011, 09:32 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Niel,

I have a guy that can lazer stainless or punch aluminum. let me know what you want, shoot me a PM and I will get them banged out and we can push them out at cost. If anything my metel guy will charge me a case of beer.

PS. Stainless is cheaper to work with than aluminim..
Old February 5th, 2011, 10:37 AM
kevkon
kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McCauley View Post
Nice, did you use the original as a mold? I think I've seen the stainless ones from the UK but its just the face plate cover, not the entire piece right?
Neil, are you talking about the entire front panel assembly?
Old February 5th, 2011, 12:19 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Quote:
Neil, are you talking about the entire front panel assembly?
Yeap, the whole shebang, mine has cracks all around it, and the mounting tabs (ears) have long been broken off. The previous owner did some crazy shat to it.

Robert Deniro
Old February 5th, 2011, 12:29 PM
the_eaze
Eric Brown
1997 Arles SW

Quote:
I'd love to see some pics of the carbon fiber ones you made, they sound cool.
Old February 5th, 2011, 12:35 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
For some reason putting Carbon Fiber anything on a Defender just seems wrong. Kind of like putting a lift kit on a Porsche.
Old February 5th, 2011, 01:22 PM
kevkon
kevin

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0493.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	35477

Quote:
For some reason putting Carbon Fiber anything on a Defender just seems wrong. Kind of like putting a lift kit on a Porsche.
As opposed to plastic, imitation vinyl, aluminum, stainless, and whatever else? Besides, most of the Porsches ( and their owners) around here could use a lift kit
Old February 5th, 2011, 01:41 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

That is nice, but I was thinking making the whole thing (entire piece) out of carbon fibre, stainless steel etc. I know it would be difficult but I think biulding something that would last is a great idea. Last time I checked, this dash piece is now NLA.

Robert Deniro
Old February 5th, 2011, 03:38 PM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
Not sure you could stamp it out of 1 piece. I think its too complicated a shape. You'd probably have to build it out of 3 or 4 parts and create an assembly. Maybe you could mould something out of fiberglass or something like that that could be reinforced and made stronger than the original?

Whatever, I am interested in seeing what somebody comes up with as mine is also pretty banged up. I have one of Steven's Cowls that is really well done and now the bezel just seems really bad.

Ian
Old February 5th, 2011, 03:54 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by navydevildoc View Post
Hey, I'd strangle a puppy for one of the Dakar prepped 911s, it's not as silly as it sounds. Of course you could have my firstborn for the new street version of the Bowler Nemesis.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Old February 5th, 2011, 03:59 PM
kevkon
kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McCauley View Post
That is nice, but I was thinking making the whole thing (entire piece) out of carbon fibre, stainless steel etc. I know it would be difficult but I think biulding something that would last is a great idea. Last time I checked, this dash piece is now NLA.
I think the problem would be, where do you stop?. If you make an entire panel out of aluminum or CF then you get into the adjacent plastic pieces. I thought ( briefly) about making an entire panel assembly, but had no need to go that far. Another thing, Land Rover Defender dashs are not a model of precision fit and finish. In many ways the stock plastic unit works better than something more substantial because it has some give and play. Going to something far more rigid could pose many installation headaches.
IMHO, if I were to get away completely from the plastic, I would first do an entire re-think on the existing design of the entire upper console.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, aluminum, d90