Whom rebuilds r380's in the US? - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 3rd, 2015, 11:30 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
i looked into both, and was still able to get a rebuild with no core from ashcroft for less and only took a week.. Rob's advantage is stateside warranty
And he's a good guy...with firearms...just sayin...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 3rd, 2015, 02:07 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Locally:

For the automatics: Delgado Transmission in Kyle, Tx (512) 801-1692 ask for Richard

For the manuals it's Pistole's in Austin, Tx (512) 280-0300 ask for Sunny Pistole's Transmission - Transmissions done right the first time.

Both great down to earth guys, family owned shops that will do you right.
Old March 3rd, 2015, 02:14 PM
ezzzzzzz
Mark Garrenton
Too many here or gone to list here

Build it yourself. It's just a gearbox. It won't leak out magic smoke when you open it up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 3rd, 2015, 02:20 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezzzzzzz View Post
Build it yourself. It's just a gearbox. It won't leak out magic smoke when you open it up.
And if you want the magic smoke in the box, have it rebuilt in Denver.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old March 3rd, 2015, 02:20 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Lol ...it won't?? No magic smoke?? damnit! But Sunny has been rebuilding manuals since 7th grade. He loves it
Old March 3rd, 2015, 02:32 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Larson View Post
And he's a good guy...with firearms...just sayin...
If I was farther west, then Rob would have the price advantage as I consider by reputation Ashcroft and Rob as equal and highest quality. But from the East Coast, it's just cheaper to have an Ashcroft shipped, plain and simple. And when it's your daily driver like mine, the time your vehicle is down factors in to cost, financially and from a family convenience standpoint.

Old March 3rd, 2015, 02:38 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
When I rebuilt my LT77, I considered having Rob do it, but the shipping costs were simply astronomical - almost as much as the rebuild itself.

I ended up rebuilding the tranny myself and learning a lot about the LT77. In the end, the cost of parts and tools were pretty cheap.

That said, it would be a pretty sad tranny shop that couldn't rebuild an LT77 or an R380. Once you get inside one of these transmissions, you quickly learn why Rover used them for decades. It's really so simple that almost anyone in a remote third world country could fix. Given the right tools and parts, you could probably do a trailside rebuild of either transmission.
Old March 3rd, 2015, 04:34 PM
WildBoar
Derek Borror
109 withdrawals filled by a 110

Registry
Interesting..doing it myself...I would love to but what about the "special tools" deemed necessary?

Did you improvise or did you search for the very expensive specialty unicorn $h!Znit required?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
When I rebuilt my LT77, I considered having Rob do it, but the shipping costs were simply astronomical - almost as much as the rebuild itself.

I ended up rebuilding the tranny myself and learning a lot about the LT77. In the end, the cost of parts and tools were pretty cheap.

That said, it would be a pretty sad tranny shop that couldn't rebuild an LT77 or an R380. Once you get inside one of these transmissions, you quickly learn why Rover used them for decades. It's really so simple that almost anyone in a remote third world country could fix. Given the right tools and parts, you could probably do a trailside rebuild of either transmission.
------ Follow up post added March 3rd, 2015 04:35 PM ------

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbfritz_03 View Post
Locally:

For the automatics: Delgato Transmission in Kyle, Tx (512) 801-1692 ask for Richard

For the manuals it's Pistole's in Austin, Tx (512) 280-0300 ask for Sunny Pistole's Transmission - Transmissions done right the first time.

Both great down to earth guys, family owned shops that will do you right.
Old March 3rd, 2015, 04:42 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBoar View Post
Did you improvise or did you search for the very expensive specialty unicorn $h!Znit required?
Parts: You need a full seal kit, new oil seal collar, oil pump gears, new synchros all around, and all bearings. Replace shift forks as necessary - they are white metal and wear as well. New synchro slippers and springs are also highly recommended. New large nut for the constant mesh gears.

Normal Tools: Air impact wrench, Bearing Separator Kit (full-circle style), usual complement of wrenches. Hydraulic bearing press. You need something to hold 5th gear while tightening the large nut, but that could be done with a 1/4" diameter steel bar.

Special Tools: Only one: You need a tool to press in the oil seal collar. This was the only tool I improvised, and it worked well. I used a piece of large metric threaded rod, nuts, a large washer, and pipe.
Old March 3rd, 2015, 05:00 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
Given the right tools and parts, you could probably do a trailside rebuild of either transmission.
Trailside? unless it dun blowd up, in tcase low range, you can probably get to help in 4th gear slipping the whole way. you'll slip the hell out of the friction plate, but what the hell, if you have to pull the tranny then you're going to replace the clutch anyway.

I would have to be broke down and stranded in the middle of the kalahari with my emergency r380 parts kit and hitch mounted hydraulic press, with night falling to even think about trailside tranny removal and rebuild. And that idea would be seriously in competition with vehicle abandonment.

Rebuild if you have the tools, knowledge, time and thirst for knowledge. Everyone else just order a rebuild and slap that bitch in.

I personally have no interest in rebuilding the transmission for the first time unassisted in a daily driver. That's got the be the most difficult powertrain component to remove (in amount of crap to remove to get it out) if you find you have a strange clunk or noise after installing your DIY rebuild.

Old March 3rd, 2015, 05:16 PM
WildBoar
Derek Borror

Registry
Alright, I am not scared. I am up to the challenge to do it myself. What is the worst thing that can happen? I send someone a empty case and a bucket of bits to fix what I screwed up? Or maybe a strange clunk and then no movement under power once I get it back together and installed. Either way if I screw it somebody will be able to put it back together.
Old March 3rd, 2015, 05:23 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
I would have to be broke down and stranded in the middle of the kalahari with my emergency r380 parts kit and hitch mounted hydraulic press, with night falling to even think about trailside tranny removal and rebuild. And that idea would be seriously in competition with vehicle abandonment.
hahah...thanks for the laugh mark. you're right, my claim is a stretch
Old March 3rd, 2015, 11:12 PM
rlynch356
Robert Lynch
1995 NAS

Derek - "Special Tools: Only one: You need a tool to press in the oil seal collar. This was the only tool I improvised, and it worked well. I used a piece of large metric threaded rod, nuts, a large washer, and pipe. "

This i have - an improvised version anyway which should work.. more porsche stuff - you know what i mean - the pipe will need to be sized to the collar but thats doable

we'll need a press though..

95' D90 - daily driver..
Old March 4th, 2015, 12:43 AM
WildBoar
Derek Borror

Registry
Thanks Rob! Porsche stuff again....very nice.

Working on a press.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlynch356 View Post
Derek - "Special Tools: Only one: You need a tool to press in the oil seal collar. This was the only tool I improvised, and it worked well. I used a piece of large metric threaded rod, nuts, a large washer, and pipe. " This i have - an improvised version anyway which should work.. more porsche stuff - you know what i mean - the pipe will need to be sized to the collar but thats doable we'll need a press though..

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions