Who makes this rack? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 12th, 2008, 12:35 PM
owen
Owen Jones
Yellow`95 D90 ST #2188

Registry
Who makes this rack?

Can anyone help identify this rack and ladder and and where it can be sourced?

I saved this photo from a thread - and now cant find the thread again to ask the owner! The thread was about this beautiful ST to SW conversion by a member in Cal moving out East.

The rack doesnt look like a Safety Devices model...

Thanks in advance,

Owen
Attached Images
File Type: bmp Yellow ST wRack.bmp (648.8 KB, 244 views)
Advertisement

Old April 12th, 2008, 01:22 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by owen
Can anyone help identify this rack and ladder and and where it can be sourced?

I saved this photo from a thread - and now cant find the thread again to ask the owner! The thread was about this beautiful ST to SW conversion by a member in Cal moving out East.

The rack doesnt look like a Safety Devices model...

Thanks in advance,

Owen
It's Jim's truck, our good old friend and new moderator! It is a SD rear ladder with a custom made Rover Hybrids basket. I've seen it in person and it is quality. Shane at Rover Hybrids makes some great parts.

note the front of the basket is open so a tent can be opened and lay flat on it.

Jim can tell you more about it.
1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV
Old April 12th, 2008, 02:22 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Hey Owen - big points to you for flattery. I could repeat all the stuff here, but its easier just to give you the thread:

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=11073

I can't remember what thread had the pic you saved though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 12th, 2008, 03:31 PM
oldscratchggf
nate
95 d90

Owen- just to forewarn you- the SD rack won't work so well with that Shrockworks tire carrier. It'll take some crafty engineering or removal of the carrier to make SD ladder happen. I was debating keeping the tire carrier and fab'ing up a custom ladder, or just ditching the tire carrier, but obviously I never got around to it.

How is the truck holding up, anyways?
Old April 12th, 2008, 05:05 PM
owen
Owen Jones
Yellow`95 D90 ST #2188

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldscratchggf
Owen- just to forewarn you- the SD rack won't work so well with that Shrockworks tire carrier. It'll take some crafty engineering or removal of the carrier to make SD ladder happen. I was debating keeping the tire carrier and fab'ing up a custom ladder, or just ditching the tire carrier, but obviously I never got around to it.

How is the truck holding up, anyways?
Hi Nathan, I feared as much but if forced to, I would load the spare up top until I could get the OEM carrier. Truck runs great. Heading to Moab in a couple of weeks and just finishing off some serious inside storage - I'll post when done.

Best,
Owen

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
Hey Owen - big points to you for flattery. I could repeat all the stuff here, but its easier just to give you the thread:

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=11073

I can't remember what thread had the pic you saved though.
Thanks Jim, thats the thread. And when I copy your conversion next winter will it then be 'sincere'?

Question, your ladders dont look like the SD pictures I have seen on their website. They look much better without that joggle around the licence plate. Were they stock as ini88 said?

Thanks!

Owen
Old April 13th, 2008, 05:05 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Yeah, its a stock NAS rear ladder and stock crossbars. You're thinking about the NAS 110 rear ladder that has the "bump-out" for the license plate.

You could just as well get a ladder and crossbars from Urban Offroad - the design has gotten much more similar to the NAS one. I still recommend Shane for the rack part though.

And of course, let me know if you need any advice on the Soft Top to Station Wagon conversion - and several other guys here have done it as well.

Old April 13th, 2008, 10:54 PM
owen
Owen Jones
Yellow`95 D90 ST #2188

Registry
Thanks Jim, didnít realize that the 110 was different...

One other question - you had the NAS tire carrier installed with the ladder, how do the upper RHS brackets fit together? Do they sandwich together or is a new combined bracket needed?

I'll give Urban a call in the AM, my emails all bounce back.

Thanks for your kind offer to help with some hints on the SW conversion! I'm looking to start late this fall.

Thanks

Owen
Old April 13th, 2008, 11:25 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Its a sandwich!

Old April 13th, 2008, 11:34 PM
owen
Owen Jones
Yellow`95 D90 ST #2188

Registry
Magic!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, rack