Who has done an aftermarket cam? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 29th, 2005, 12:16 AM
Bowtracer
Peter Sherman
NAS 110

Who has done an aftermarket cam?

I am going to put a cam in my 110I only have 42000 but I have had a sticky lifter for as long as I can remember. The truck is waiting for a friend to weld my frame & I thought I would reseal the engine as it leaks wayyy too much. I would like to know who's cam you all sugg. I will also put in a double roller timing chain.
Do I need new head bolts?
Should I do steel or the newer head gaskets? Any recomendations would be great!!
Peter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 30th, 2005, 05:22 PM
Bowtracer
Peter Sherman
NAS 110

bump!!
Old March 30th, 2005, 05:39 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

The guys at D&D engine builders STRONGLY recommend a specific Crower cam (www.aluminumv8.com). The one thing to remember is that you might need new valvesprings too if you are swapping cams. I'd ask the guy what he recommends. That starts to get tricky to do without removing the heads, thought it is possible. I believe they have some tools that use air pressure or other methods to hold the valves in place. If you go with a cam that doesn't need new valvesprings, then you don't have to even worry about removing the heads unless you want to.

IF you do remove the heads, go with new bolts. I used ARP head studs, but regular head bolts will work too at half the price. Choosing between composite or steel is up to you, I went composite for the better sealing, but the composite will drop the compression ratio. Make sure to look up (or ask) for the revised torque specs either way. Definitely spring for the composite valley gasket and newer valve cover gaskets, as they make a big difference for those areas.

If you do it in the truck, you will have to remove the radiator and grill. While it's out, go to a radiator shop and have them put a damned drain spigot on the thing... what a Pain In The Ass without one.

Of all the things to do, you MUST take the oil pump apart, pack it full of vaseline, and prime up the oil system before starting the engine. I used a 12mm socket driven by an electric drill down on the oil pump driveshaft and spun things until oil was dripping out the top of the pushrods.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 30th, 2005, 06:16 PM
Bowtracer
Peter Sherman
NAS 110

Thanks Hans! I think I am going with the crower cam, rhodes lifters & undecided timing gears. I am going to take off my heads & have them worked over. I was told that I could reuse my head bolts but?
I am still figurn stuff out. The rad drain is pretty helpful as well I may have the rad recored depending on how it looks..?
Nice heads up on the oil pump prime. I knew about packing with vasiline.
Peter
Old March 30th, 2005, 08:33 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

I used a crane cam and lifters from Summit Racing. Works fine. Just another option.
Old June 25th, 2009, 03:16 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
How much do the composite head gasket lower the compression?
Old June 25th, 2009, 05:26 PM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
Don't know how much the compression changes. I replaced my head gaskets last year with composite gaskets. No noticable change in performance...

Cheers...
Old June 25th, 2009, 10:17 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Same here, didn't notice any change in performance. I did notice a dramatic decrease in the price per gallon of the gas I could use though. I've been using 87 octane ever since, and not even a hint of a ping. With the original gaskets, I had to always use 91 or 93.

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions