white smoke...yup electrical short, need help please!! - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old January 20th, 2014, 12:48 AM
El Solis
Chris Solis
Camel Trophy 110 sorta :)
white smoke...yup electrical short, need help please!!

So I upgraded my Defender 200TDI to a 130 amp alternator (whole issue with that) and my headlights were upgraded with a relay (power to fuse block under hood from battery, then to relay). I went to check everything, engine running, battery charging (dual battery, national luna split charge) and then turned on the head lights, they came on just fine but no dash lights (they worked after the alternator went in for a test of a new LED strip for the dash).

any-whoo.....all of a sudden white smoke. shut off power/engine, etc smoke stops. Take the gauge cluster off and it appears that the wire coming from the main harness to the dash gauge lights (not warning light, the actual lights for the gauges) was melted, bare for most of the length of the visible wire.

So....my questions are (I know I have to find why this happened before just replacing things):
1. could the higher output alternator have caused this? (not sure how but just asking)
2. Where to get the multiple wire bullet connector things? (since I will have to redo the whole thing). I have looked at britishwiring.com
3. I know it is hard to sat but is this just a short length of wire that can be replaced easily without taking the whole *&!#* thing apart?

here are the pics:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5370.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	88202   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5371.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	88203  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions