White Smoke Cloud - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 3rd, 2014, 06:11 AM
richord
Richard Ordowich
1987/D90

Registry
I looked on Rovahfarm and although the description for the cap says vented, I don't see the vents in the photo.

Ref: NTC2757 / Price $18.99 Application: Defender AA259678 - WA159806 unleaded, two prong, black vented non - locking fuel cap. Diameter 3 3/8"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 3rd, 2014, 08:48 PM
Greg S
Greg Sutfin
1986 90

I don't know what models or years have what in the way of fuel caps but my 1986 90 with 2.5 na has a cap that doesn't let air IN. Every time I open the tank to fill it, there is a big whoosh of air into the tank. Runs fine and has for the 48 thousand kilometres I've put on it. (30,000 miles).

I don't know if it vents OUT due to expansion or not.

Mine looks the same as the locking one the OP posted.
Old July 4th, 2014, 06:09 AM
richord
Richard Ordowich
1987/D90

Registry
Greg, that's interesting. Everything I read about diesels is a vacuum buildup in the tank isn't normal. I had a similar problem with my Harley gas tank. The over flow vent valve was installed backwards at the factory. I bought it new and did all my own service and never touched that valve. The bike ran fine for 10 years. Then it would stall after driving about 3 miles. I would lose the gas caps and it would run fine. But each time I left the bike for a few days and started it up it would happen again.

My truck was running fine but then I had the white smoke problem, just once so I started diagnosing and the vacuum was one of the symptoms.

The gas cap John posted is different than mine. My cap has no vents like the one he posted. My truck is a ROW version.

I'm no expert but seems to me a vacuum build up isn't normal and with pollution control systems they installed no end of canisters and devices to vent without venting to the outside air.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions