Whistle noise from exhaust manifold? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 4th, 2005, 01:09 PM
markurski
Mark Kurzinski
95 D90SW 046/500

Whistle noise from exhaust manifold?

All. I have a whistle noise coming from the exhast system somewhere under the hood. It sounds like it is coming from the drivers side possibly from the manifold area. The whistle increases in pitch as the rpm's increase (if you have ever driven next to a tractor trailer on the freeway, it sounds like the turbo booster "whistle" on a tractor trailer's diesel engine). I have read on other posts that a manifold leak sounds like a "tick", whether it comes from the manifold/head junction or the Y-pipe junction. Could this be a sign of another problem, or is the gasket on the manifold/Y-pipe leaking? Comments/suggestions greatly appreciated...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 4th, 2005, 02:17 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Could also be an intake leak, which tends to whistle a lot more often than exhaust leaks do.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old November 14th, 2006, 08:45 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
I have noticed this on my truck occasionally? I have replaced the intake manifold gasket and was pretty methodical with tourqing etc cleaning the surfaces blah blah blah. I cant seem to tell where its coming from seems like the air intake well at least the front half of the truck. Any thoughts?
Advertisement

Old November 14th, 2006, 11:10 AM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

Noisey alternator bearings?
Old November 14th, 2006, 11:47 AM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

I noticed yesterday that the a/c pulley bearing whistles a little.

Neil
Old November 14th, 2006, 03:56 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
it doesnt seem bearing related, i dont really ever use the AC. I will pay more attention and report back? COuld it related to stepper motor or something in the top end of the motor? All the hoses on the air intake are tight so i am confused.
Old September 20th, 2007, 12:55 PM
markurski
Mark Kurzinski
95 D90SW 046/500

I don't own the D90 anymore but wanted to follow up on what this turned out to be for the benefit of this forum. The "whistle" turned out to be the bearings in the alternator as Rodesiderob suggested.
Old September 20th, 2007, 01:37 PM
Gore Ranger
Jeff
1989 RRC

Over the past weekend, my alternator developed some really bad whining/whistling (a lot of noise) and when I popped my hood, it was throwing a lot of sparks. Needless to say I had it towed home and am about to put in a new alternator.

I have never heard of an alternator sparking. Is this common? The tach also stopped working.
Old September 20th, 2007, 04:20 PM
minorthreat
Lance
1997 LE, 1997 Black ST

Did you have one of these installed?
Old September 20th, 2007, 07:06 PM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

Sometimes (rarely) when I start the truck, I get your whistle -- and also lower rpm. I re-start, and the whistle is gone and rpms return to normal. So I'm thinking that there's some electronic actuated valve that doesn't set properly during the starting process that's allowing a small hole or air leak into the intake system. Weird. If it was happening all the time, I'd have to sort it out....
Old November 25th, 2007, 07:40 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Revisting the whistle thread. I have begun to notice this again. It is most noticable at 2000-2300 rpms, but while the engine isnt under much "load". It has been intermitent for sometime, based on the last post over a year. It sounds exactly like the turbo charger when tractor trailer is passing by. If I am maintaining speed it will appear but if I mash the gas it goes away imediately. I am not convinced it could be my alternator. Any other thoughts? Has anyone had a similar noise?
Old November 27th, 2007, 08:39 PM
dkjbama
Derek Johnson
'97 D90ST - Lil' Mule

Rover4x4:

One diagnostic would be to drive the truck without the trumpet on the air filter housing. If the whistle is coming from the throttle butterfly or stepper motor, the noise will be louder without the trumpet. I get the whistle sometimes when Lord Lucas aligns all the cosmic tumblers; pretty often actually. I've convinced myself it is the sound of engine sucking the air; rushing past the the nearly closed throttle butterfly at part throttle. i believe this because, just like you said, the noise ceases as soon as you press on the gas and the throttle butterfly opens.

DKJ
Lil' Mule - 1997 D90 ST Monza Red #1254

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
exhaust