Whine anyone? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 9th, 2003, 12:27 PM
Quimbola
Josh
1994 #1695 Not stock.

Whine anyone?

Allright, this is driving me nuts. When the car is idling at cold temperatures, I get a high pitched whine from the engine. It goes away at higher rpms. And once the engine reaches running temp. I have spent a great deal of time sitting in the engine compartment and i CAN'T track it down. Facing the the rover it seems to be comming from the right rear of the engine. I think I have checked everything, still whinning.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 9th, 2003, 02:17 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
altenator? or that pully bearing on the fan belts, i really should know what that is called.
Old December 9th, 2003, 03:39 PM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
The same thing was happening to me. I cut my A/c belt since I won't need it until summer and that solved it. Mine is either the a/c compressor or the pulley.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 9th, 2003, 04:19 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
I know a guy whose AC belt was causing a whine
Old December 9th, 2003, 06:02 PM
Quimbola
Josh
1994 #1695 Not stock.

Good suggestions, I don't have an AC, and it is comming from the rear of the engine, sounds like a vacuum leak, but I can't track it.
Old December 9th, 2003, 06:11 PM
WhiteD90
Johnathan Tisdale
93 110, 90 RockRR buggy

Try a telfon lubricant like TriFlow from a bike shop. This usually cures it for me, spray it while the engine is running on the pulleys. Most bearings are sealed so if one is bad this wont help. I'd say it's the tensioner or alternator making the noise, if you have a 5 speed it could be the throw out bearing.

Tis
Old December 9th, 2003, 08:21 PM
scot
Scot Yount
95 Coniston Green D-90 SW

if you really wanna know what is causing the whine...use an old mechanic's trick. check the suspected parts (the ones mentioned above) with a long handle screwdriver. put the screw end on the suspect part (for example the alternator) and put your ear on the handle end...you will instantly be able to tell whether the part you are "listening" to is the problem....if not, go on to the next suspect until you find the culprit.
Old December 9th, 2003, 08:26 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Tis good call.... forgot about that. If its coming from the rear of the engine it could be the throw out bearing. My 65 vette had that prob with a brand new bearing.. had to rip the trans out and do it over again.. what a pain in the ass that was
Old December 10th, 2003, 11:48 AM
vesparover
brian bertolini

I've got that whine going on right now too! I suspected a slipping belt- but it does seem to be coming from the rear of the engine. Mine is sort of like a chirping at low rpm's. I still have to tighten up the belts a little more and let you know.
brian bertolini
Old December 11th, 2003, 02:26 PM
Quimbola
Josh
1994 #1695 Not stock.

Havent had time to check the belts, plus been too cold. But, I don't know if this is related, but my MPG has dropped a lot, about 2 MPG. Started about the same time the whine did.

Any help much appreciated!!!
Old December 11th, 2003, 02:34 PM
Glenn_Guinto
Glenn Guinto
94LWB; 99D1; 06RR S/C

Registry
Exclamation Damn... 2MPG?!

Are you sure you don't have a leak somewhere where you are spilling gas? If you smoke, I wouldn't do it around the truck.

As far as the whine is concerned, that happened to my Disco and it turned out to be the bearings for the belt tensioner. $20 bucks from NAPA and it's gone! Goodluck!

Glenn
Old December 12th, 2003, 09:44 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
ha ha! mine did that this weekend while i was driving through the cold NE snow storm. It went away at high revs, and after annoying me for about 20 minutes, never came back. My roadside diagnosis blamed the belt, but I dunno...
Old December 15th, 2003, 05:19 PM
Quimbola
Josh
1994 #1695 Not stock.

Whine cont.

Well the saga continues. No belt whine, no throw out bearing. Borrowed a stethoscope, I think I have it tracked down to a fuel injector making the noise, with the MPG drop I tend to believe that this is the culprit. Ideas? Thoughts?

-Josh
Old December 15th, 2003, 05:25 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I thought I noticed a MPG drop in the tank prior to experiencing the whine - it was an unscientific observation though, so I chalked it up as a misperception.

Any ways to check injectors other than pulling them and having them flow-tested? Probably cheaper and easier to replace them, but I sure hate the "replace and observe" diagnostic method.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions