While changing spark plugs - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 29th, 2005, 07:51 PM
mdmccallum
Mike
'97 Defender 90 SW

While changing spark plugs

I found 1 or 2 plugs to be a little oily compared to the others. I know that this can mean that the piston rings may be worn or the cylinder walls or valve stems are worn. So my questions is can it be inconsequential if it is only 1 or 2 plugs at this time or is there something I can do now.

Also when changing the plugs, one always seems to be difficult to get screwed in all the way. Acts like it is stripped. The plug ends up sticking out of the hole a slight amount. Is this going to cause misfires and if so would it be detected by the ECU and cause the check engine light to come on if it is misfiring? The engine seems to be running fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 31st, 2005, 10:04 PM
48vphantom
Jeff Hoien
1997 NAS D90

Mike, i wouldn't worry about the fouling of the plugs. Pretty typical for the engine. I ran the Champion plug next up the heat index and although the plugs looked great, too many misfires caused by the plugs preigniting the mixture. switched back to the oem's and all is well. as for the threads, get yourself a spark plug thread tap available at any auto parts store and clean out the threads, hopefull not damaged, i thought i had a similar problem but turned out that the spark plug socket was to big and getting stuck in the hole. put it to the grinder and took off a few thousandts..as long as the plug is firing the ecu probably won't know the difference, but yoiu could have some compression leakage at the threads
jeff
Old October 31st, 2005, 10:49 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Differences like that are actually somewhat normal. No matter what you do, there will ALWAYS be variations between cylinders of fuel mixture, wear, operating temperature and all sorts of other issues. As long as they aren't dripping with oil and affecting the engine performance, I wouldn't worry.

If you want to sooth a paranoid nerve (we all have them sometimes), you can do a compression test and see if the cylinders in question are a bit lower than the rest. But it might also just be that those plugs don't burn as hot as the rest, which is nothing to worry about.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 1st, 2005, 10:19 AM
mdmccallum
Mike
'97 Defender 90 SW

Thanks Jeff and Hans. I was starting to think that it was a stupid question (maybe it is) and nobody wanted to answer it. I think that I may be having some compression leakage at the plug like you said Jeff. However, everything runs well. I'll try the tap and I will see if it is actually the socket that is getting in the way.
Thanks Again.
Old November 1st, 2005, 10:21 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

When you tap the threads how do you keep the filings out of the cylinder?
Old November 1st, 2005, 10:27 AM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

Pack the flutes on the tap with grease.
Old November 1st, 2005, 10:33 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Great idea! Going to have to remember that one!
Old November 1st, 2005, 11:48 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

WARNING, DANGER. I am almost out of beer! That said, and now that I have your attention, let me point out a caution point when installing new plugs. The spark plugs go into a recess in the engine that most (not all, but most) plug wrenches commonly available (SnapOn/Mac people exluded) bind when putting in the plugs. Sure, you may say I am full of hot air, but the dog that just ran from the room would disagree---but I digress. I am in possesion of no less than 3 different spark plug wrenches that will bind before the plugs will get tight--I THOUGHT THEY WERE TIGHT, but it was the wrench. Sorry to ramble on, but I qualified that early on...back to your regular programming....
Old November 2nd, 2005, 07:53 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

I have a sears one that seems to work, I can't turn the plugs by hand after I tighten them down with the wrench. Oh and Chris, you should have been out with Jimmy, Scott and I, there were 17 Guinness on the tab and I don't drink!
Old November 2nd, 2005, 09:12 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Mike, I may just take you up on that offer! Also, I forgot to mention that you can take some hose and shove it into the cylinder and put the other end in your shop vac and sort of cup the two hoses together with your hand or duct tape and give a good vaccum to the combustion chamber after tapping. That grease idea is great--I had not used that before but I see how it sure would help.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions