Which way to run the cord for a microphone? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 6th, 2012, 08:35 PM
wilyliang
Peter
'95 D90 SW #441

Registry
Which way to run the cord for a microphone?

Fellas

Any wisdom on which direction to run the wire for a microphone coming off the cubby box stereo ('95 d90 SW)? Destination is probably the visor, or possibly closer to my face by the sunroof. I know it's a joke to try a phone conversation in these things, but maybe they will hear me at stop lights.

Is it harder to go forward and up through the dash... side post? Heat/interference issues? Dash assembly issues?

Or has anyone tried running sideways and up the post next to the door strike?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 6th, 2012, 08:43 PM
Defender90_218
Trenton Smith
1997 D90

I have run many things though my dash and pillar, other than taking a while to do I have never had any problems.
Old January 6th, 2012, 09:17 PM
kolvedic
Bill Lewis
1995 White SW 339/500

Registry
Mine goes out of the box, along the lip between the front and rear, up the side under the plastic trim panel behind the drivers seat and i have it it mounted there next to my head. Closer than the visor and works pretty well.

I suppose it would be easy to tuck it under the head liner to get it to the front.
bill
Advertisement

Old January 6th, 2012, 10:17 PM
aaronlam
aaron lam
1997 Alpine White D90 SW #2212

Registry
Mine goes out the bottom of the cubby, along the rear of the driver's seat, up the inside of the trim panel where the seat belt is and stops there... so it's basically hanging at the top left corner of the driver's door when closed. I found this to be closer to my mouth than the visor and kind of discreet and out of the way. You can also route it here without detaching any trim.. just tuck it in.

I might move it to the moon roof when I recover my headliner but it feels like it's more trouble than it's worth... might look strange for something to hang out. Also, I figure it would be louder when the moonroof is open. I close my window if I am talking.

According to people I am talking too... it's no louder than any other car. I think it's perfectly possible to have a bluetooth conversation in the D90 SW.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	45729  
Old January 8th, 2012, 01:07 AM
wilyliang
Peter
'95 D90 SW #441

Registry
Thanks for that picture. I'm going to try the horizontal route. What mic/stereo do you guys use?
Old January 8th, 2012, 01:16 AM
aaronlam
aaron lam
1997 Alpine White D90 SW #2212

Registry
I have a Sony MEX-BT5700U... I know Sony But I've always liked their head units. I like this unit b/c I can also stream music via Bluetooth from my iPhone and now with the updated Bluetooth... can actually control the tracks/pause and see track info from the headunit.
Old April 3rd, 2012, 08:36 PM
wilyliang
Peter
'95 D90 SW #441

Registry
Wanted to post a follow up for anyone out there considering a new head unit and/or mic install.

Got the Sony DSX-S300BTX head unit (come on... Sony's are nice! and it was on sale for $160 plus $40 mic) in the center cubby console and ran the mic wire left to the driver side pillar. Love the bluetooth music function (it's ready to pick up where I left off on my iPhone music within seconds of turning on the engine... I just push (un)Pause on the unit and back in business) and the bluetooth calling has been great. No complaints on road noise! Plus the functionality of music pausing with a call is really sweet. The remote control is obviously useless and seeing the display in the center console is difficult, but having the volume knob right under my hand at all times is great.

Proclip mount (didn't take the backing off the sticker so it's removable, but still it's a pretty strong mechanical/friction grip) for the iPhone and I'm styling with maps, music and texting-while-driving!

Put some Polk Audio DXi650s rear speakers in the back (in foam baffles) and now I can tell I have to do the fronts too. An amp/subwoofer would be nice.

Thanks for the advice and feedback guys. Great forum.
Old April 3rd, 2012, 09:38 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

On the silly side...you know I have a mike going along the pillar side...the funny thing is I cant even have a conversation between 70 and 80 mph with a person let alone hands free on the phone! It's just not possible!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions