Which side is the return on the auto cooler? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 7th, 2011, 10:04 PM
Broncoduecer
peter
D90

Which side is the return on the auto cooler?

So like it says. What side of the cooler is the return on the autos? NAS drivers or passenger?

I am going to flush the tranny soon and want to remove the return side of the cooler when flushing.

Thanks,
Pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 8th, 2011, 01:15 AM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

IF your '95 D90 has the Zf 4HP22 auto trany in it, as does my '97, here's the deal, in this transmission, the flow through the lines is one direction for gears 1 through 3, and in 4th (which is over-drive & torque lock-up) the flow reverses through the cooler (which, to be sure, is located below the radiator). With the flow reversal, you would NEVER want to install an in-line filter on this trany.

Also flushing a Zf 4HP22 is not always a good idea UNLESS the trany has had the fluid changed regularly (60K miles). What will happen on un-maintained tranny's is the new fluid will cause the liberation of tiny particles from the clutches and cause plugging of the valve body. These particles go right through the screen filter in the pan. It's best to change out 1 quart per year in this case. Bad fluid will smell burnt.

Should you decide to put an in line temp guage sensor on it, you'd want it on the fluid out line for gears 1-3 (4th gear only kicks in at about 52 mph). This is the line coming out of the trany at the front bottom. Bad thing about the cooler location is that at low crawling speed (where elevated trany temps are most likely to occur, unless your towing) there is no "forced air cooling" as there is in the radiator with it's fan.... bummer huh?

The Zf 4HP22 is a "most excellent" trany. My '85 BMW 524td (same gear ratios as the D90) has one and is still performing wonderfully after 26 years with only fluid and filter screen changes
Old December 9th, 2011, 11:37 PM
Broncoduecer
peter
D90

Dennis,

Thanks for the write up and the info!

The trans is from a 97 disco. I don't recall the mileage, but I think it is about 80k now. I dropped the pan and changed the filter about 500 miles ago. The fluid was pretty burnt smelling before I changed it. The trans cooler was bypassed, and I recently installed a trans cooler from a 97. So after changing what's in the pan it's a good color now, but still burnt smelling. I put in amsoil ATF.

Interesting though, not sure what to do now. I was going to drain the pan, fill it back up, undo the return, and then start it up and replace what comes out until its not smelling. But knowing this now, maybe just do a bit every now and then?

How hard is it to clean the valve body if it gets clogged?

Thanks,

Pete

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions