Which Roofrack is compatible with the NAS 90 Rollcage? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 11th, 2008, 04:52 AM
V890spain
Mc
Land Rover Defender 90 V8

Which Roofrack is compatible with the NAS 90 Rollcage?

I see many NAS 90's with roofracks and would assume that due to the complications of the roof to go over the rollcage that a special roofrack is compatible with the rollcage???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 11th, 2008, 01:48 PM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
Have a look at the various vendors. Rovers North, Atlantic British, etc.. They all sell roof racks compatible with NAS Defenders. Some mount to the rain gutter, others mount to the roll bars over the doors.
I assume you are speking of the roll bar extrusions above the door. The only thing that I have heard about is that you have to make sure the rain gutter clamps for your particular rack don't line up where the roll cage comes back through the roof and into the truck.

97 D90 SW
Old March 11th, 2008, 07:36 PM
JackW
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel

A Hannibal will fit if you cut a gap in the gutter rail to go over the cage. I'd drill and tap a couple of holes on either side of the slot toward the upper edge of the rail so you could install a "bridge" over the gap after mounting the rack on the truck. Hannibals are strong, light, quiet and well worth the money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 12th, 2008, 01:30 AM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Are you looking for the NAS look? Take a look at Urban Offroad.
Old March 12th, 2008, 01:58 AM
LenB
Len Bruffett
NAS '97 ST /SW-POE Config

Registry
Hi Mc,

I put a new hannibal on my NAS D90 hardtop last summer- there was no cutting of the truck or rack to install it. I bought it because it is lightweight, very strong, and very low profile. If you want even a lower profile you can un bolt and remove the side rails. I have driven many highly off camber, shelf roads no wider than my truck and looked straight down into 2000' vertical drops from the drivers seat - you seriously start considering the center of gravity of your truck. I attached some pics so you see what it look like on the truck. No it does not look factory (your friends may even look down their noses at you) and yes it is made of high grade aluminum extrusions and will never rust.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	d903.jpg
Views:	499
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	12573   Click image for larger version

Name:	d908.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	12574  

Name:	d904.jpg
Views:	417
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	12575   Click image for larger version

Name:	d902.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	12576  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old March 12th, 2008, 05:45 PM
JackW
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel

You've got the version of the Hannibal made to fit on an NAS truck - mine is the Euro version with the full length gutter rails - that looks great. I haven't seen that version in person but it looks really nice. In my opinion the Hannibal is much better than the factory racks - they are lower, stronger. lighter, make less wind noise, are easy to tie stuff down to with the T-slots and tie down rings and at around $1200 a much better value than any other rack out there.
Old March 12th, 2008, 08:05 PM
LenB
Len Bruffett
NAS '97 ST /SW-POE Config

Registry
Hi Jack,

Yes, we are like minded! I have ridden in a couple of trucks with the stock safari racks - they look cool - but at freeway speeds it always sounds like your in an LZ for helicopters!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old March 12th, 2008, 09:36 PM
steinhnj
Neil Steinhagen
1990 Perentie GS

Hard to believe that Len owns an alluminum roof rack

I have the Hannibal like Len's. I love it. Another advantage is the width of the slats make it walkable without having to go the chicken-coop-flooring-route. Simply my opinion, but it gives the Rover the Rover-with-a-roofrack-look vice a Roofrack-with-a-Rover look.

-Neil
Old July 10th, 2010, 04:20 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Converting Legs to fit the NAS cage.

I ended up getting a Front Runner Roof Rack. It is essentially the same as the Hannibal and Big Country Racks. I was going to install it today when I noticed that the legs won't clear the cage in the front. I guess I need to convert the front legs and go with two clamps on each foot like Len has on his Hannibal Rack (see picture above). Has anyone done this? Does any of the handy fabricators out there have suggestions for me?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0049.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	29255   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0050.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	29256  

Old July 11th, 2010, 10:59 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I'm thinking about having the feet that interfere with the roll cage modified to attach to the gutter similar to the way my rear ladder attaches (see last picture). I also need to remove that box on the leg. I haven't seen the Hannibal leg up close but it looks like its similar to this bracket idea. Has one anyone done this?

Don't ask how this happened. I should have bought the Hannibal Rack to begin with and saved me the hassle. Front Runner promised it would fit.... which it didn't.... and now I got to deal with it.

Helpful advice appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1000689.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	29277   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000684.jpg
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	29278  

Name:	P1000682.jpg
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	29279  
Old July 12th, 2010, 10:08 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal View Post
Front Runner promised it would fit.... which it didn't.... and now I got to deal with it.

Helpful advice appreciated.
Seems reasonable grounds for returning it no?
Old July 12th, 2010, 10:31 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Definitely, but there's a couple reasons I want to make it work. This is the only rack that will clear the parking garage where I park (by a whopping 1/2"). This one doesn't have side railings like the Hannibal rack. The other reason is that front runner has bike and kayak attachments that i need. Hannibal doesn't. Martyn at Adventure Trailers where I bought it from is going to help me find a solution. By the time I have returned this one and recieved another rack I will have (hopefully) already fabricated the extra set of legs.

Anyone that has a Hannibal rack on an NAS, I need pictures of the front legs. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
Seems reasonable grounds for returning it no?
Old July 13th, 2010, 07:29 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I found out that Front Runner has NAS compatible feet that attaches to roll cage. Being shipped from Europe shortly.
Old July 14th, 2010, 01:19 AM
Chaucer
Will
93 110 | 97 90

I used to own a Hannibal rack on my old D-90 and the front mount was not like the two rear mounts. It did not have the protuding mount piece that is interfering with the front roll cage bar. So imagine yours without that piece. the way the Hannibal mounted was with two C brackets - the bottom of the C would hold to the bottom of the roof gutter, and the top of the C would hold the top of the upside down T of the front rack foot. Wow that's a mouthful. There were two C brackets one on either side of the T bracket. Each bracket had a bolt too...

Found a picture ...

Hope that helps - I'd grind off the interfering mount thingy and put some C clamps...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	rack_feet.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	29336  
Old July 14th, 2010, 01:28 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Thanks Will!

I appreciate the description. That is pretty much exactly what I was going to have fabricated. I had two L brackets instead of the C type.... C makes more sense. Glad to confirm i was on the right track. I had it all built up in CAD when I got the word that the distributor of the rack I got over in Europe has made feet that are compatible with the Safety Devices roll cage. They are sending me a pair. Hopefully it works out but it if it doesn't i have drawings for a back up solution. Thanks for confirming my assumptions and thanks for the picture!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaucer View Post
I used to own a Hannibal rack on my old D-90 and the front mount was not like the two rear mounts. It did not have the protuding mount piece that is interfering with the front roll cage bar. So imagine yours without that piece. the way the Hannibal mounted was with two C brackets - the bottom of the C would hold to the bottom of the roof gutter, and the top of the C would hold the top of the upside down T of the front rack foot. Wow that's a mouthful. There were two C brackets one on either side of the T bracket. Each bracket had a bolt too...
Old July 14th, 2010, 07:04 AM
maleger
Marc-Andre Leger
94D90 CDN#18 http://rover.leger.ca

Registry
I found these from Florida: http://roveracks.com/
Old July 14th, 2010, 07:47 AM
NoVaKevin
Kevin
sold#1469

I dont own a Defender (yet), but I am certainly not a fan of Hannibal and their look. Square tubing on the basket, and the mounts are hideous. Wolf Fabrication (member here) made a few custom d90 roof racks that look and function awesome. The tubing is rounded and gives it a more sporty look.

Also, there were some limited edition SD racks that came out and I saw one a few months ago (guy slept on it at night ) while we were camping.

http://www.wolffab.com/ Not sure if he still makes them????
Old July 14th, 2010, 08:43 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVaKevin View Post
Yes, I still make them! I am just finishing up a custom rack for an ECR/Copley truck a customer in WA just bought.

Semper Fi!
Old July 14th, 2010, 02:15 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

To each his own, NovaKevin. If I wanted a tubular rack I would get one from Jonathan for sure but I'm not a fan of the tubular look/functionality myself and I find that the aluminum racks offer several functional benefits over tubular steel racks. Personally I never find functional objects "hideous" but I do find decorative objects quote often so. Here's a few reasons why I chose this rack over the steel tubular kind:

Price. I paid $1040 for the rack (extra for accessories).
Weight. I prefer not to have more weight up top than necessary.
Appearance. I think the Alu rack look is simpler and cleaner. My personal opinion.
Profile. The Wind Cheetah (by Front Runner) is the lowest profile rack I have found.
Versatility. I need Bike and Kayak mounts. Water tank, tent mounts, etc also available.

Quote:
I dont own a Defender (yet), but I am certainly not a fan of Hannibal and their look. Square tubing on the basket, and the mounts are hideous. Wolf Fabrication (member here) made a few custom d90 roof racks that look and function awesome. The tubing is rounded and gives it a more sporty look.

Also, there were some limited edition SD racks that came out and I saw one a few months ago (guy slept on it at night ) while we were camping.

Old July 14th, 2010, 02:19 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
I there were some limited edition SD racks that came out and I saw one a few months ago (guy slept on it at night ) while we were camping.

These are still available. In stock and ready to ship:
http://www.eastcoastrover.com/SafetyDevices.html

------ Follow up post added July 14th, 2010 02:20 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Fabrication View Post
finishing up a custom rack for an ECR/Copley truck a customer in WA just bought.

What truck? I haven't sent anything out to WA in quite some time.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, ac, cage, nas, rack, roof