Which Roof Rack - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 10th, 2011, 08:35 PM
USLandy
Andrew
defender 90

Which Roof Rack

So I have an 84 defender and thinking about which roof rack to put on top of it. I've been leaning towards frontrunner, but not all to sure yet. Does anyone have any roof racks which they really like and would recommend?

Also not worried about fitting into garages, with the lift kit it doesn't already so I leave it outside where it's supposed to anyway.

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 10th, 2011, 08:47 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
I love my Hannibal. Front Runner and Hannibals are about equal I believe. Question is, what do you need a roof rack for? That would need to be answered first.
Old November 10th, 2011, 09:28 PM
USLandy
Andrew
defender 90

wouldn't mind throwing camping gear on top instead of in the back, there isn't too much load space if I throw my pup back there, spaniel is small but he likes some space. Otherwise extra tire, bike mounts, sand tracks on the side, maybe one of those small water tank things in the future.

Do you think the basket racks are nicer than the flat ones like the Front Runner???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 10th, 2011, 09:31 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
NO! They are much less versatile. go with a flat one. my hannibal came with removable side rails on half the rack. Plus the flat south african racks all have cargo rings that slide along the length of the runners.
Old November 10th, 2011, 09:56 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I have a Front Runner Wind Cheatah on the double cab and like it a lot. Very high quality compared to SD on my other truck. Tina the SA lady who is the US importer/distributor is pretty cool to deal with.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old November 11th, 2011, 12:18 AM
USLandy
Andrew
defender 90

Ok, I like the idea of removable side raise on half the rack. Where did you find a US dealer for the Hannibal? I think it will between Hannibal and Front Runner
Old November 11th, 2011, 09:05 AM
CDNRover
Jeff Labbé
110 Ex-Mod FFR 200tdi

Registry
I dunno what you're going to use it for but I can share my experience. I have a 110 with the usual ladder type galvanised roof rack with access ladder. I use it to carry wood and it never fail to do it's job as meant to be. In my leisure time there's a roof top tent on it and a steel box for storage. Between the tent at the rear and the box up front, I bolt a piece of plywood to be able to walk on put a chair. Usually it is use for extra carrying space (fuel and bulky object). Last spring I had a contract in a remote area and needed to carry everything needed for a week. I had the 110 loaded and the rack must have had 500lbs on it. The kinda rack built for toughness. If you need specific set-up they're easy to bolt on, strap or tie down. I can't remember how much I paid for it but, somewhere around 200cdn$. It was second hand. No rust nor maintenance needed. I don't want to hurt anyone's feeling on that forum but, I think those hannibal rack are greatly too much for what most of us actually do and they're not cheap either. Affordable and simple that's what a rack need to be for me.
Old November 11th, 2011, 10:11 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I have a Front Runner Wind Cheeta on my 90 and it's the cats pajamas. Love it. Very durable, lightweight and doesn't rust. Why have an extra 100lbs of weight up there if you don't need to? Endless opportunities for attachments that fit into the slots: bike carriers, gas can holders, tent and light mounts, etc etc. Price was very reasonable as well. I ordered mine from Adventure Trailers.
Old November 13th, 2011, 12:17 PM
USLandy
Andrew
defender 90

I agree with CDN rover that $1400 is a little much for me to spend on a rack, yet Front Runner I have seen for around $1100 so they aren't that cheap either. The more I look into the racks the more I do like Front Runner and I think I may wait and save a little more cash to buy one of those.

Unfortunately just yesterday I was driving out to Indiana, only 2 hr drive, and when I got there I got out of the car and my front door lock was gone! the tumbler had fallen right out... So I'm going to have to take some cash out of the roof rack jar to pick up a new set of locks.
Old November 16th, 2011, 07:32 PM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

Alternative one that I had made. I can detach the roof top tent and affix a basket to the rack or other items

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32547
Old November 16th, 2011, 10:06 PM
CDNRover
Jeff Labbé
110 Ex-Mod FFR 200tdi

Registry
Nice set-up you have there Clay!
Old November 17th, 2011, 07:33 PM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

cage

Jeff,
Thanks. It is simple but effective.
Clay
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDNRover View Post
Nice set-up you have there Clay!
Old November 17th, 2011, 09:01 PM
jaygoss
Jay Goss
'60 Series II Station Wagon

Overland Journal has a shootout this issue on roof racks. Those included are: Baja Rack, Front Runner Slimline 2.2m, Gobi Stealth & ARB Alloy. That might give you some ideas on what they look like and are capable of.
1971 SIIa SWB (sold)
2000 Disco SII (sold)
1995 RR Classic SWB TWR edition (sold)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, rack, roof, roof rack