Which engine? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 25th, 2008, 11:43 AM
WEMICHENER
Bill Michener
1997 Defender 90

Which engine?

Im coming to the end of my 4.0l V8 in my 1997 D90 and was wondering what year of the 4.6l V8 will just bolt in without any modifications to the tranny and engine compartment. Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 25th, 2008, 03:04 PM
NashvilleRedD90
Will Peters
'97 NAS D90 ST #1704 -4.6

You need the distributor-less gems 4.6, its a P38 motor... I put one in my '97 back in the fall and its a direct replacement. I've put about 4K on it and run Mobile 1 full synthetic and really like it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old April 25th, 2008, 03:20 PM
Tim Scully
Tim Scully
95 D90 SW/ 95 RR LWB

Yup you are looking for a 4.6 from a range rover. You are looking for 95-98 year motor. 99 to 02 used a Bousch DIS system on the 4.6. You could use a later model 4.6 you just have to change the crank position sensor mount in the block. They also used the 4.6 in Dicso II for 04, you would have to do some research on that as they may have changed some oil passages in the block for the pickup to the oil pump!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 25th, 2008, 03:57 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Any 4.6 short block will bolt in, but if it is a bosch motor you have to swap over the senor plate welded on the back.

If it is a long block, a bosch block will work with a GEMS front cover and the sensor plate (make sure to find one withou air injection or plug the holes in the head).

If it were me, I would find any short block, recondition my existing heads, and fit a new cam, lifters, etc.

A full motor, I would stick with a GEMS motor.

Note, you will have to figure out what to do about the ECU. ECR has access to chips/tuning. The stock one will work but you will not see all the power increase you could.

Ron
Old April 25th, 2008, 06:29 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij
Any 4.6 short block will bolt in, but if it is a bosch motor you have to swap over the senor plate welded on the back.

If it is a long block, a bosch block will work with a GEMS front cover and the sensor plate (make sure to find one withou air injection or plug the holes in the head).

If it were me, I would find any short block, recondition my existing heads, and fit a new cam, lifters, etc.

A full motor, I would stick with a GEMS motor.

Note, you will have to figure out what to do about the ECU. ECR has access to chips/tuning. The stock one will work but you will not see all the power increase you could.

Ron
Ron, can you just directly swap in a 14cux control until from a 4.2 RRC into a D90 without opening them up and swapping the chips? Just curious as I'm about to do the swap myself.

Robert Deniro

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
engine