Which Diesel for Towing? - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 22nd, 2014, 04:30 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I have towed a fair bit with disco/D90/RRC including towing car trailers with other rovers on them and towing my series on a towbar (unbraked). Once I towed a series behind a disco where the brakes on the trailer did not work. Still ok, but not great and would not recommend.

The rover brakes are fine and better than my K1500 suburban. The suspension, especially with OME HDs and sway bars, is quite sufficient. The downfall is power, but with a V8 and a stick in 4th 5500lbs up east coast hills is fine. Wheelbase never bothered me and an anti-sway weight distributing hitch, I would have no concerns.

OTOH the Rockies are really high and it kills the power and any diesel is going to be a dog flashers on crawling up at 20mph the hills.
Advertisement

Old May 22nd, 2014, 10:47 PM
]-[ @ n $
Hans
Hunting

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
I have towed a fair bit with disco/D90/RRC including towing car trailers with other rovers on them and towing my series on a towbar (unbraked). Once I towed a series behind a disco where the brakes on the trailer did not work. Still ok, but not great and would not recommend.

The rover brakes are fine and better than my K1500 suburban. The suspension, especially with OME HDs and sway bars, is quite sufficient. The downfall is power, but with a V8 and a stick in 4th 5500lbs up east coast hills is fine. Wheelbase never bothered me and an anti-sway weight distributing hitch, I would have no concerns.

OTOH the Rockies are really high and it kills the power and any diesel is going to be a dog flashers on crawling up at 20mph the hills.
Good info. Thank you.
Old May 23rd, 2014, 01:09 PM
meatblanket
Mike Simpson
1955 86 1986 ExMOD 110

Registry
Quote:

Turbocharged diesels are preferable to a naturally aspirated petrol engines at high altitudes. You lose roughly 3% of your power for every 1000 ft above sea level with a naturally aspirated engine. So at 11,000 feet your power will be decreased by 1/3.

So a big turbocharged 'Merican diesel (Cummins, Powerstroke, Duramax) is what you want. Good luck stuffing one into a 110 though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 23rd, 2014, 01:20 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatblanket View Post
Turbocharged diesels are preferable to a naturally aspirated petrol engines at high altitudes. You lose roughly 3% of your power for every 1000 ft above sea level with a naturally aspirated engine. So at 11,000 feet your power will be decreased by 1/3.

So a big turbocharged 'Merican diesel (Cummins, Powerstroke, Duramax) is what you want. Good luck stuffing one into a 110 though.
I get that turbos maintain more HP at altitude, but you are talking about starting with 111hp on a Tdi. Janey was a fairly strong V8 110 carbed truck, and she was struggling without a trailer to get up the mountains. I can only imagine a 2.5 NA diesel with a trailer would be relegated to low range.

Big 'murican diesels I am sure would be fine.
Old May 23rd, 2014, 02:02 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Quote:
I get that turbos maintain more HP at altitude, but you are talking about starting with 111hp on a Tdi. Janey was a fairly strong V8 110 carbed truck, and she was struggling without a trailer to get up the mountains. I can only imagine a 2.5 NA diesel with a trailer would be relegated to low range.
I don't think you could make it over a Colorado pass in a 2.5NA with a trailer. My truck was huffing and puffing with just itself. It started missing every 5 seconds or so at about 8500' and by 11,000', it was missing multiple times per second. I was going about 5-8mph as I crested the pass. I was going easy on the motor and giving about 2/3 throttle but not flooring it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/
Old May 23rd, 2014, 05:09 PM
meatblanket
Mike Simpson
1955 86 1986 ExMOD 110

Registry
I flogged my 110 with 2.5na mercilessly and was able to keep it over 20 mph.

Agree the trailer absolutely won't work with a 2.5na and a Rover Tdi would be marginal at best. The Tdi at 11,000 ft would probably be comparable to a carbed Rover V8.
Old May 24th, 2014, 04:40 PM
UnfrozenCaveman
Keith Armstrong
Various

Having (1) towed a 109 from VT to IA with the Disco (2) driven the same Disco all over the inter mountain west and finally (3) towed a 32 foot enclosed trailer with the Series 1 inside it with a V10 Dodge 3/4 ton truck....don't count on the Defender towing that Airstream anywhere with comfort above about 1500 feet above sea level.
Old May 24th, 2014, 05:26 PM
jafir
Jafir Elkurd
Flaky Green 198something ex-mod 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatblanket View Post
I flogged my 110 with 2.5na mercilessly and was able to keep it over 20 mph.
Were you in high or low range? I'd be tempted to try low if 20 was all I was going to get.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
diesel, wing