Which D90 to buy - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 30th, 2004, 10:56 AM
mdmccallum
Mike
'97 Defender 90 SW

Another thought that hasn't been mentioned John is to get one from a dealer which will probably be marked up but they will certify it and you don't have to worry about the repairs. I did this a year ago and have been really happy. While I have had no real problems with mine, I have had to use the warranty for a few things. Alternator went out in the woods far from home and civilization. LR sent a wrecker to pick me up, tow me home (140 miles) and fixed it, to the tune of $50. Not a bad deal. A couple more trips like that and I think LR and I may be even with the markup I paid. Oh, and mine is an everyday driver and still loving it. Some Dealers can't get them. I got mine in Albuquerque and they found exactly what I wanted. Check em out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 30th, 2004, 11:04 AM
Joe P
Joe Pfeiffer
Black 97 D-90ST #0605

John,

Check out craigslist.com. Specifically the Bay Area in Northern Cal. They always seemed to have quite a few D-90's. Also, check all the BBS. SCLR.com, norcalrovers.org, tntl.com, roversnorth.com, lrx.com, d-90.com, etc. I actually found mine listed on the norcalrovers site.

Joe
Old April 30th, 2004, 02:17 PM
Screehopper
Joey C.
97 Disco 5-sp

Quote:
Originally posted by Joe P
Check out craigslist.com. Specifically the Bay Area in Northern Cal. They always seemed to have quite a few D-90's. Also, check all the BBS. SCLR.com
I agree about the Bay area comment. Everytime I head into SF I see many D90s out there. Driving through SF I literally counted over 8 parked D90s within a 10 minute drive. If I see one D90 on the road or parked in LA I'd be lucky. Excluding my friend who lives a few blocks away from me who has a D90.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 30th, 2004, 07:11 PM
Johnnyb
John Bombara

I posted, I regret buying it, it should be "not buying it"
I already understand the following, I have just about every truck around here down, and will take drives, just to look for them. I will take all the advice given, and look all over before I make a purchase. I feel like this is the truck I want, I just have to figure out the payments. By the way, what do you guys pay in insurance. Are there any tricks to get around paying ridiculous amounts??
Old April 30th, 2004, 08:54 PM
Joe P
Joe Pfeiffer
Black 97 D-90ST #0605

I pay about $1,100/yr for insurance with Farmers
Old May 1st, 2004, 01:39 PM
Johnnyb
John Bombara

My wife and I have a 2003 VW jetta (which is what I'm selling right now to fund the D90). Geico told me I would be paying about $350 more per year for the defender. I just thought it sounded a little high. That would be like $2600. I am 26 years old, and the only blemish was when I got hit 2 years ago (settled at 90% the other persons fault).
Old May 1st, 2004, 02:21 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Man, I have a BAD driving record (numerous Speeding tickets) and I only pay $1,800 a year for the Defender through Progressive.

Edit: Oh yeah I'm 25.
Old May 1st, 2004, 03:15 PM
mhansen
Mike Hansen
97 D-90 SW #2243

John-

Since we all did such a good job at trying to talk you out of it , and I am guessing that this will be your first rover, Take another unbiased long time rover owner with you to test drive/look over. Spend an hour,at least, pouring over everything. Take coveralls and a creeper and spend some time under it. Work EVERY switch and control. Drive it in high and low range diff locked, and unlocked. If it looks, sound, or smells screwed up to you, I probably is.

If the owner is uneasy about you doing so, then I may not be the one you want.

I was able to get a substantial amount of money off the asking price when I pointed out the flaws in what the owner listed as "flawless".

The rose colored glasses are thick and hard to get off your face when defender shopping.

Good Luck
Old May 3rd, 2004, 04:32 PM
newfD90
Chance
93 NAS 110

Quote:
Originally posted by Johnnyb
By the way, what do you guys pay in insurance.
I'm with Allstate. I don't have it broken out by car, but I pay about $1600/yr for a 97 D-90, 02 Disco, and 01 VehiCROSS. I use classic car insurance ($80/yr) for the old car.

"Fossil Fuel Rapid Disposal Unit"
Old May 3rd, 2004, 06:46 PM
Johnnyb
John Bombara

Thanks guys, big help with the insurance, I am def. not rusing into anything, but I do want one. I will most likely use the summer to search, and will go into the fall and winter if I have to (hopefully not). Now, is there a big difference (mechanical wise between a 95 and 97?? I am just trying to figure out if I should go for one or the other.
Mike, many people have tried to talk me out of it, so I am def. going into this with awareness. I don't know anyone familiar with Rovers mechanically. I was going to have a pre-purchase inspection done at a dealer, maybe slip the guy an extra $50 to go over everything??? Is a pre-purchase inspection at a dealership a good idea? Thanks.
John
Old May 3rd, 2004, 07:46 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
the 95 had a manual tranny and the 3.9. the 97 had the autobox and the 4.0 (distributorless ignition). other than that they are pretty much the same.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, d90