Which car to tow with - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 19th, 2007, 09:35 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

Which car to tow with

Here is the problem.. Need to tow my racecar to the track 100 miles away in PA. Got two cars to do it with
#1) 1994 bone stock d-90 st.
#2) 1999 Lexus rx300
Trailer is rougly 4500 pounds with the car on it and the max trailer weight on the lexus is 3500. I test drove the trailer with both cars. Lexus has tons more power, ABS brakes, better MPG, more reliable. When I got back to my driveway and shut it off.. lots and lots of popping and cracking noises from underneath from what i guessed was a hot tranny. However I have a really steep, long driveway that might have heated it up.

The defender. suitable on power but constantly having to rev is up to 4 grand. The weight makes stopping a bitch (no trailer brakes). Temp gauge is higher than normal on the highway. when I come to a stop, temp gauge pins to the right side of the gauge. Tranny has really old ATF in it. Pocono mountains (or hills for the colorado folk) in a 3.9 with 4500 pounds in tow scares me.

Which one do I take? Need to leave at 3 am. Does being a 1K over the max trailer weight really matter if I take it easy? I'm not staying up and troubleshooting the 90 or changing out fluids.
Advertisement

Old July 19th, 2007, 09:40 PM
Paul Davis
Paul Davis
97 ST

I can't believe a Lexus can trailer even 3500 lbs. At least the 90 has a transmission cooler. You better find a friend with a truck or something.
Old July 19th, 2007, 09:41 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
a defender isn't a car! So the problem is solved. Now you need to figure out whether to tow with the car or truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 19th, 2007, 09:53 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

The RX 300 is a sport ute by lexus standards. Garages certainly slap me with the SUV tax when I drive it. It's a really a lifted camry. I wish I had a friend with a truck.. it would make this so much easier. LEXUS has more cup holders too and AC. Dont know if it has a tran cooler or not though. When I got back with the defender there were a lot of smells coming out of the thing that weren't there when I left so i'm worried about the 90. Then again I'm concerned about over loading a lexus like that. I put a 800 pounds of tongue weight on the rear bumper of the 90 without incident but I think the defender is a little tougher to say the least. what to do what to do.
Old July 19th, 2007, 09:59 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Uhaul!
Old July 19th, 2007, 10:11 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

they want 500-600. already tried. And no rental trucks allow towing they have a locking cord through the reciever.
Old July 19th, 2007, 10:14 PM
dkjbama
Derek Johnson
'97 D90ST - Lil' Mule

Sounds like the cooling system on the 90 is marginal at best. With neither being a good choice, i must regretfuly give the nod to the lexus. Inflate the rear tires on the suv to max pressure to handle the tongue weight. Take it slow... like slower than the speed limit and keep the tranny in 3rd gear. If the temp gauge starts climbing, SLOW DOWN, turn off the A/C, and turn the heat on. Also, you really might consider having someone drive another car and carry people/gear. The more weight you can get out of the lexus and off the trailer the better. You do have one thing on your side; towing at night there's less traffic and the air is much cooler. Oh yeah, be prepared for the grins and snickers when you pull into the pits in the grocery getter race car in tow.
Lil' Mule - 1997 D90 ST Monza Red #1254
Old July 19th, 2007, 10:19 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Isn't the 90 supposed to tow 7700 pounds? I would try out the 90, drive around town and get a feel for it. Or rent the Home Depot or Lowes truck. I am sure someone you know has a Yukon or Tahoe you could use. I used to tow my 90 around with my RR 4.6, it worked like a charm. Borrow someones RR Classic.

If you want to come down here, I will let you borrow my Yukon XL 2500 series.

Old July 19th, 2007, 10:30 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

Yeah I know the 90 has way more towing capacity (theoretically). I mean power wise it seems the lexus should be the one towing 7700 pounds. Surprisingly, i really don't know anyone with a truck especially not one I can get in the next 7 hours. I'm leaning towards the 90 but I got that murphy's law feeling going on. I appreicate the offer on the truck, wish i was closer. A yukon would make short work of 4500 pounds. Anyone live along I-80 that might be able to offer emergency service if need be? I'll carry a costco case of coronas in the trunk incase i need to call upon someone's services or if I flip the racecar again i'll just drink it myself.

Wish my 90 was running. the 4.6 would be nice.
Old July 19th, 2007, 10:49 PM
JackW
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel

That 7700 lbs is in low range - a 4500 lb trailer is eriously overloading either of your vehicles and is very unsafe especially with no brakes on the trailer. The (relatively) short wheelbase of the D-90 just compounds the problem. You need to beg, borrow or get a real tow vehicle - talk one of your friends with a big truck to go to the races with you - offer to pay his way (meals, lodging etc.)

I won't tow anything much over 1500 lbs with my D-90 and upper limit for a short tow (25 miles or less) would be around 2500 lbs. I towed a 3500 lb trailer with my Range Rover once and it got very spooky....
Old July 19th, 2007, 10:50 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Check Craigslist and buy an old pick up truck for $500.00. Or find a car dealer with a 3 day "bring it back policy" and get a nice Ford F350 dulley.

Or, Move to Georgia and you can borrow my truck whenever you need it.

Old July 19th, 2007, 11:07 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Towing is not something to screw around with. You dont want to be the guy who has an at-fault accident while pulling 1000 pounds more than your vehicle is rated for. Max I've towed with the Defender is about 3000 pounds (using the V8) and its slow going, and at least my trailer weighed less than the truck. At 4500 pounds, the trailer outweighs the truck by 500-1000 pounds. Call Enterprise and try to rent a full-size pickup for the weekend. Otherwise, please just write this trip off to bad planning and live to tow another day.

Lots of people here and elsewhere have done lots of risky towing, but there is a difference between what can be done and what should be done.
Old July 19th, 2007, 11:44 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

love to rent a pickup if they had hitch receivers on them. Only place to get a tow vehicle is uhaul and it's a box truck.
Old July 20th, 2007, 12:22 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

You owe it to everyone and yourself to find a different vehicle to tow with. If you hit me towing something that heavy with a Lexus I would sue the shit out of you. And I don't sue people.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old July 20th, 2007, 02:51 PM
draaronr
Here
LR3

Dude honestly if you tow with either you are retarded and an accident waiting to happen. If it is a one time trip then suck it up and rent something. If it is regular then figure out your prioritization of your toys, but don't tow with either of them.
Old July 20th, 2007, 05:02 PM
Caribsurf
Donald McDowell
Black 1997 D-90 soft top

throw a license on the back of the race car and drive that...it'll be 3 am noone will see
:-)
Old July 20th, 2007, 05:17 PM
dkjbama
Derek Johnson
'97 D90ST - Lil' Mule

Let us know how it turned out. Any carnage?
Lil' Mule - 1997 D90 ST Monza Red #1254
Old July 20th, 2007, 05:50 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

I'll add my opinion to the others in that neither is a good option. I won't call you an idiot as that's already been taken care of.

U-Haul has cargo vans. You may want to check if they have receivers on them. If so, they're more comfortable than the box trucks, easier to drive and you can comfortably sleep in them if need be.

Are you sure all rental places don't allow towing? Enterprise? I could swear seeing a pickup truck at a local Enterprise with a receiver and ball.

--------------------------------------------
Guess the job's done by now.
Old July 22nd, 2007, 05:03 PM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflash868
they want 500-600. already tried. And no rental trucks allow towing they have a locking cord through the reciever.
Hum.... You sure? UHaul rents trailers and vehicule dollies. I have seen quite a few trucks with trailers. Might not look cool, but would work.
No idea what the price is, if you drive far, that might end up being expensive; UHaul charges per mile, right?
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )
Old July 22nd, 2007, 11:07 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

the defender towed fine. got there and back safe. racing also went well finishe first in my class. However first day during practice i spun at 90 mph and wore a hole right through one of the brand new hoosiers. rough way to start the weekend. I will post a pick tomorrow of the tire... all the way to the belts in 3 seconds.

p.s. before i get the "you got lucky" speech the regular tow vehicle is a Range rover HSE so this was a one time thing. Although I was able to reach 75 and maintain it in fifth gear which surprised me. Accelerating was sllllloooowwww going however

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions