Which Badger soft top?? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 8th, 2005, 01:02 AM
CDN38
Scott Pelly
2000 110 TD5

Registry
Which Badger soft top??

I am looking at replacing my Bestop with a Badger top. I know that Rovers North sells a top made by Badger, and Badger also sells direct. As well, Badger has available, a galvanized gutter kit, which looks like it would be a great addition to help stop the annoying leaks along the back, top and front corner of the door where it meets the windscreen frame.

So I am looking for some guideance. Firstly, how much better is the standard Badger top vs. the Bestop for door leaks? Is the gutter system really needed, and is it a pain to re and re?

Thanks for the feedback...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 8th, 2005, 10:31 AM
ronward
Redsrover
None - sadly

Just ordered a Badger II from Chris at Badger Coachworks. Requires the galvy gutter kit a la Series trucks and is a useful and good looking addition. I'll know more once it arrives.
Old February 8th, 2005, 10:45 AM
roverboy
Thomas
Booger

I have the Sonneland Grey Badger top with galvenized rain gutters on mine and I can't say enough good things about it. You can run it with or without the rain gutters, although they are a bit of a pain to install and remove. My factory hard top leaks like crazy, but the Badger doesn't. Go figure. My Badger top doesn't leak, it's quiet, it looks awesome and has a nice, tight fit. I leave it on throughout the winter and sometimes in the Summer when it's hot and I want to run the A/C. I NEVER put the hard top on it anymore.

Do yourself a favor and order a drop curtain from Badger or Art Vigil when you get your top. It's a nice addition and will make your heater/AC work alot more efficiently as well.
Advertisement

Old February 8th, 2005, 04:15 PM
jorge
JORGE ESPINOZA
97 ST WHITE MODS SUPERCHARGED

Registry
I have both tops ,my 90 has the R.N. top & my wife's 90 has the badger top with the gutter kit in lite grey. The badger is draft free due to the gutter kit which make a great seal around the door.I'm very happy with the R.N. top but the area around the door doesn't seal as good as the badger.I live in the Northeast and the tops have kept the heat in very well even in single digit temps (not including the wind chill factor and cruising at about 65 mph).The 90s are our daily drivers for work .
Old February 8th, 2005, 04:55 PM
PT94D90
Phil
Currently Defenderless

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorge
I have both tops ,my 90 has the R.N. top & my wife's 90 has the badger top with the gutter kit in lite grey .

His and Her D90's???

You are my idol, Jorge!
Old February 8th, 2005, 05:32 PM
Mark M
Mark Mathews
'94 Beluga Black ST

I currently have the Rovers North/Badger top and have been very happy with it. During the recent monsoon rains here in Los Angeles it kept the water out. Too bad the seal around the windshield didn't, but that is a project for another day...

Before you make up your mind call Chris at Badger and have him send you a copy of his catalog. I was perfectly happy with the Rovers North top until I saw the Badger II. It has sides that completely roll up resulting in a top that looks like a surrrey. I ordered one last week. In around 18 weeks I'll be able to rave about how great it is.

Whatever you decide you will be a lot happier (and dryer) than you were with a Bestop.

One final note, with the Rovers North top (and I assume with all the Bager products) the initial fitting requires a little patience. These tops are tight. After the first fitting they will stretch a bit and subsequent fittiings are easy. But the first fitting is a 3 beer operation
Old February 8th, 2005, 07:21 PM
bjenk
Brian Jenkinson
1994 D90

Scott, when you do get your new top I would be interested in your old top. I will even pick it up.

Brian
Old February 8th, 2005, 08:03 PM
CDN38
Scott Pelly
2000 110 TD5

Registry
Badger II top...

Anyone have any pictures of the new style top? I'm also still curious how the metal gutters and frame attatch to the body. How much of a pain is it to re & re? Any one have pictures of the set up?

I figure the B II top will be the way to go. With all the rain in Vancouver during the winter I think it will be a great solution. And in the summer if the top can be used without the gutters, it's a bonus for those times where it rains for just a day or two and I want to take the top off.
Old February 9th, 2005, 08:21 AM
EnduroPro
Stephen LeBlanc
1994 Defender 90

How much $ is the B II selling for, roughly? I was thinking about reconditioning my original one, but maybe I'll just buy new.
Old February 9th, 2005, 10:36 AM
PT94D90
Phil
Currently Defenderless

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN38
Anyone have any pictures of the new style top? I'm also still curious how the metal gutters and frame attatch to the body. How much of a pain is it to re & re? Any one have pictures of the set up?

Scott - I have photos of the Badger II. If you still need them, give me an e-mail address to send them to.
Old February 9th, 2005, 05:01 PM
mgrgpg
Mark
1989 D110

How well does the Badger II and gutter kit seal the door opening during highway driving. My tops flex out and let a draft in. I am thinking about switching to SW doors and go with the gutter kit and Badger II top.
Old February 11th, 2005, 04:04 PM
paulb
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576

Anyone gone the 1/2 cab route?
and does it have the tight window closures as well?
Guess I got to order my Badger cataloge
Old February 11th, 2005, 04:45 PM
4WD-90
Christopher Stanish
1994 defender 90

[QUOTE=paulb]Anyone gone the 1/2 cab route?
and does it have the tight window closures as well?

I second that request!

Any pics?
Old February 17th, 2005, 01:31 PM
paulb
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576

Ouch, ouch ouch. Just got the Badger Coachworks catalog. Really fast reply delivery and having looked though it I want to buy everything in it. BUT, prices are the ouch factor.
Can I say this...I have a perfectly good full Bestop on a rail system on a 1994. It just has huge gaps around the doors. I'd go for the gutter system but $550.00! Are there other options out there, byond the rags I have stuffed in the gaps and the tarp bungied over the cab?
Old February 18th, 2005, 06:42 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Paul, if you heat up your top in a garage and unsnap the sides, just strech it forward and re snap it on. that what I did. I also put a small heater in the cab to heat up the interior really hot. It made the roof very easy to put on.
Old February 18th, 2005, 02:37 PM
paulb
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576

Randy,
I have no problems putting the top on. It just fits like crap.
Sitting in the drivers seat and looking up to the upper door/window corner nearest the windscreen I have an area 1/4 inch by 1/2 inch where the top does not cover that corner. Its not it is to tight, it doesn't fit, its like an oversight. I/d take a pix but I've a tarp over the top and its been raining all day (day 1 of 4 we hear).
Old February 21st, 2005, 07:20 AM
scoloco
Scott
'94 D90 ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulb
Randy,
I have no problems putting the top on. It just fits like crap.
Tickford top from the 94 are actually much better tops than the besttops that came with the 95s. I've seen many besttops that look like crap, one had sort of ripped at one of the seams (at least I could see a line of daylight). The tickford is canvas and doesnt shrink. Mine have held up extremely well in comparison. Keep in mind that with the badger you get a top that is just as good at the fibreglass hardtop (so I've heard).
-scott

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
badger, soft top