Where's the bl**@y coolant going? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 13th, 2004, 03:39 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
Where's the bl**@y coolant going?

Well after 100,000 miles of trouble free motoring (well relatively) the 200 tdi in my 110 is starting to use water at an alarming rate- 2 litres in about 50 miles. The anoying think is I can't see where it's leaking from
This is potentially not good - head gasket maybe)?
Strangely it lost no water with the header tank cap removed on the return journey so that in a way points to it not being the headgasket, at least the combustion gasses aren't pressurising the system. There aren't clouds of steam from the exhaust so water probably isn't getting into the combustion chambers.
The water must be being forced out by the pressure generated within the cooling system, but where?
The engine has been a little slow to start in the mornings lately but I don't know if that's connected.

Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 13th, 2004, 03:59 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

pin hole in the radiator that only opens when there is pressure? Do you have a way of pressurizing the cooling system with the engine off? Like one of those pressure testers? Just an idea, if it is a leak you could always crack an egg in it.
Old December 13th, 2004, 04:22 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Check your heater core also, if it's leaking in the heater box it would either be dumping out the drain hose or maybe pooling in the heater box. Turn your windshield blower on full, and look for the coolant on the inside of the windshield.

-Hans

Follow-up Post:

Oh, and just out of curiosity. Have you checked the transmission bellhousing? Remember, you DID have fluid coming out of that in the past. Could be a freeze plug in the back of the block.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 13th, 2004, 05:19 PM
rolaro
Jan-Dirk Roodbol

Check the dipstick of the oil; no contamination? kind of brown sludge?
Take off the nut on top of the radiator, and look on the waterlevel if it is pulsating by running motor.
By a headgasket faillure it is possible that the gasket is broken in the dirtection of the piston, or "oil channel".
An other possibility is that a hoseclip has cut the hose after a while.
Pressuring the system what Mike wrote is also a possibility, but take care; the thermostat , when the engine is cold, block the whole system.
The difficult thing is that you warme up the radiator, and the leak vaporized directly.

Good luck anyway.
Tell us how you solved the problem

Jan-Dirk
Old December 14th, 2004, 09:25 AM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans
Check your heater core also, if it's leaking in the heater box it would either be dumping out the drain hose or maybe pooling in the heater box. Turn your windshield blower on full, and look for the coolant on the inside of the windshield.

Oh, and just out of curiosity. Have you checked the transmission bellhousing? Remember, you DID have fluid coming out of that in the past. Could be a freeze plug in the back of the block.

-Hans
Well remembered different truck though.
I found the leak this afternoon. Pin hole in the pipe going to the heater matrix. Expansion tank cap off- no leak, cap on slow leak, hardly left a trace on the bulkhead but there was a whitish deposit on the pipe and a bit of a spurt if you twisted the pipe about a bit. I replaced the heater matrix about 2 months ago, no doubt when that went, the inside of the truck turned into a sauna - couldn't see a thing out of the windows. Had to use the force to steer/navigate

Mike H, I was devising a cunning plan to pressurise the cooling system involving a header tank cap drilled out to accept an ordinary tyre valve but there's a snag.... the overflow pipe would need to be blocked off, hadn't quite thought of a way of doing that when the cause of the leak became apparant. Possible some sort of blanked off tube. Might build it on the basis of it would be a useful thing to have in the tool chest.

Thanks for all the useful suggestion, it turned out to be a relatively cheap and easy leaking hose.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
coolant