Where To Put The Splice? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 11th, 2010, 01:26 PM
The Wizard
Douglas Wozny
1994/ Defender 90 #500

Where To Put The Splice?

I am going to replace the dealer installed trailer connector on my D90 with a military connector in order to be compatible with my Canadian 1/4 ton trailer. I am leaning to cut the wires to the existing connector after they leave the "black box" so that splice will be behind the right rear speaker. But then I got to thinking (which in my case can cause serious problems) why not put the splice somewhere along the wires on the outside. The splice will be made using male/female push on connectors. I am doing this so that IF I need to go back to a commerical connector it won't be too bad of a job. Let me have it. I can take it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 11th, 2010, 01:45 PM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
If you're using push on connectors then I would suggest doing the splice behind the speaker inside the truck. It will help keep water and dirt out of the connectors. Doesn't add much to the task of changing over since you just need to pull the speaker box and feed back through the floor. Will look cleaner too without the splice 'in view'.

Just my 02c.

Ian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wizard View Post
I am going to replace the dealer installed trailer connector on my D90 with a military connector in order to be compatible with my Canadian 1/4 ton trailer. I am leaning to cut the wires to the existing connector after they leave the "black box" so that splice will be behind the right rear speaker. But then I got to thinking (which in my case can cause serious problems) why not put the splice somewhere along the wires on the outside. The splice will be made using male/female push on connectors. I am doing this so that IF I need to go back to a commerical connector it won't be too bad of a job. Let me have it. I can take it.
Old June 11th, 2010, 01:50 PM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

I have a very factory looking splice in that exact location.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 11th, 2010, 02:07 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

On a 1994, the connections are made via bullets to an adaptor to the factory trailer wiring. It goes bullets to round plug, round plug to factory trailer wiring harness. I would just replace the 1 to 1 bullet connectors with 2 to 2 bullet connections and run the wires from that and leave the other harness and adaptor in place. I am not sure what additional wires are needed for a canadian trailer, but if it has independent turn signals, there should be no need for a converter box.
Old June 13th, 2010, 10:33 PM
The Wizard
Douglas Wozny
1994/ Defender 90 #500

Successfully removed the dealer installed Land Rover trailer connector and spliced in the military connector. At least the test light lights up when touched to the correct sockets. Normally I would have have come away with some kind of injury but no blood was shed this time. Have not hooked up the trailer yet. Just hope it works. Thank for your help.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions