Where to move speakers to? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old June 17th, 2004, 06:38 AM
Chris Cox
Chris Cox
94 D90 SW, 300tdi
Where to move speakers to?

I have a 94 ST. I bought new doors, and am having them line-x'ed, so I won't be using my interior door panels. I was wondering if any of you guys have moved your front speakers to the bottom of the dash? I know that some 90's came this way, but they had a different dash bottom. Thanks for the help.

Follow-up Post:

By the way, no AC.

Old June 17th, 2004, 07:00 AM
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles
Chris, that's a good idea with no AC. Q-forms makes a "universal" speaker enclosure you can mount anywhere. I moved my rear speakers in the SW up to the top of the rear door using these and it came out nice. I even have an extra set of the Q-forms fascia pods (hard to explain what this is...) that you could use.

Or you could get the LaSalle headliner and mount them right above the front passenger heads...

Just some ideas.

Old June 18th, 2004, 12:06 PM
'93 NAS 110
Dave - Where do you buy the universal Q-forms? I checked Circuit City who's supposed to be a dealer but they only have the large boxes. Thanks.
Old June 21st, 2004, 03:03 AM
Brett Hurrell
D90 Hardtop 300Tdi
Chris, I have mounted my speakers below the dash factory style. The factory use Pioneer speakers, plus a plastic spacer that fits between the speaker & the dash. I bought Pioneer speakers from a hi-fi shop & the spacers (also made by Pioneer). Unfortunately the spacers & speakers were not compatible, the preformed holes didn't line up & I couldn't modifiy them as the spacer holes are on lugs.

What I did was use a sheet of MDF the same thickness as the spacers, used the spacer as a template & cut out two doughnut shapes, drilled to match the speaker hole positions & sprayed them matt black.

Then all you need to do is offer up the spacer ring, mark your positions on the dash, drill a couple of starter holes & jigsaw them out. Be careful as there is wiring for the wiper motor behind there. I removed one side of the dash to cut, but the other I had to cut in place 'cause I couldn't remove it.

All finished it's almost impossible to tell mine from a factory install. But the beauty of making your own spacers is you can fit larger speakers if you wish.

All in all it's a reasonably easy job, the hardest part is cutting out the holes in the dash., if you don't rush it though it's no problem.
Sniff my Diff ;)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions