Where to get Stainless Screws for front door hinges - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 1st, 2014, 07:48 PM
BMGmotors
Baird M. Gehring
1997 D90 ST #1558

Registry
Where to get Stainless Screws for front door hinges

I am looking for a stainless version of the stock hinge screws to replace the ones on my D90. The size of the stock ones are M8-1.0, oval head phillips/posidriv, about 1.75" and 2.25" in length. I cannot find them anywhere in stainless, McMaster and Fastenal only have the M8-1.25 variety. Does anyone else know where I might be able to find these oh so rare screws?

Last week I purchased a bunch of stainless screws and nuts from McMaster referencing a list I got off this forum (that I cant seem to find here lately so will attach pic) which included the McMaster part #s, I received those screws and found them to be almost entirely different from the stock screws as they were standard, not metric, and all about a quarter inch too short! Maybe that's why Rover didn't use stainless screws originally, they couldn't find them!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-08-01 at 6.41.17 PM.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	99936  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 2nd, 2014, 02:21 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
That list is few years old, so I can't vouch for the part numbers any more. Also, using the standard sized bolts requires pulling out the captive nuts (J-nuts) and swapping the captive portion for the square nuts that are listed on the spreadsheet next to the bolts. The selection of metric stainless wasn't as good back then because no one had gone to the effort of sourcing pozidrive head countersunk metric bolts in the correct length. Now several companies provide reasonably priced kits, but I believe the best one comes from Nakatanenga.de

Good luck, let me know if you need help getting something shipped, I live in Germany and, worst case, I could forward you a small package through the APO.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old August 2nd, 2014, 02:13 PM
BMGmotors
Baird M. Gehring
1997 D90 ST #1558

Registry
Thanks for your reply Jim,
I've looked at Nakatenenga and found these:
http://4x4overlander.com/nakatanenga...t-110sw-3.html
on their UK supplier site. Is this what I should be ordering? Seems like a good deal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 2nd, 2014, 03:23 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

Having been through the Stainless Steel hinge bolt thing, I will never use them again. Stainless galls, even with anti - size as lube. It's a major PITA to fix stainless fasteners that have galled and effectively welded themselves together, particularly the hinge bolts on the bulkhead side. IMO, exercise caution.
Old August 2nd, 2014, 03:35 PM
BMGmotors
Baird M. Gehring
1997 D90 ST #1558

Registry
Then what type of hinge screws do you use? galvanized?
Old August 2nd, 2014, 04:01 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by grnrvrs View Post
.....Stainless galls, even with anti - size as lube. It's a major PITA to fix stainless fasteners that have galled and effectively welded themselves together, particularly the hinge bolts on the bulkhead side. IMO, exercise caution.
Truth. I completely agree. I used stainless but was very careful during assembly. Not sure I want to take it apart again

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old August 2nd, 2014, 04:55 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I've used plenty of stainless and have had great luck. I always use anti-seize and you can't torque like crazy.

I just got the complete kit from Nakatanenga themselves at their store.

Old August 2nd, 2014, 07:07 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMGmotors View Post
Then what type of hinge screws do you use? galvanized?
Genuine BYG100140L/ BYG100150L, with lots O' anti - seize.
Old August 2nd, 2014, 08:17 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
I've just got the complete kit from Nakatanenga themselves at their store.
X2. Used the supplied anti-seize and had zero issues backing the screws out two years later, just to check for potential issues. There were none.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
door