Where to get a cheaper starter???? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 12th, 2006, 09:38 AM
bd90
Brian
94 Arles Blue #1644

Where to get a cheaper starter????

Does anyone know of a different brand of starter for a '94 D90? I mean is the LR starter the same as a GM or Ford (or some other manufacturer) but with a different part number? How about an aftermarket starter for a Disco from a parts store chain (for less $$)? $400 to $600 is a little ridiculous especially when I just dropped $500 on cooling system parts. A cursory search of the FAQ Section on the great article on part conversions was unsuccessful.

How about rebuilding the starter. Do you think a local shop could rebuild it or is it an oddball starter setup?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 12th, 2006, 09:53 AM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LAND-...spagenameZWD1V

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/START...spagenameZWD1V

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-S...spagenameZWD1V

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-S...spagenameZWD1V
Old October 12th, 2006, 09:55 AM
Bowtracer
Peter Sherman
NAS 110

my dealer has them for 199
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 12th, 2006, 10:06 AM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

I am going to need one too. I have heard of people changing to the Mean Green starters, they average around 299 on the internet. Any thoughts would be appreciaed.

In a previous post, I have also read that you can repair your stock LR starter.

Old October 12th, 2006, 10:33 AM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

I have the Bosch units rebuilt locally with a new drive, brushes, and solenoid for about $200. I used to be able to buy new from the dealer for about that price, but things are changing and prices have gone up recently (thanks, Ford)...retail for a new Bosch starter was quoted at $420 last week with a $140 core charge.
I use a local rebuilder that does a lot of rebuilds for forklifts and other equipment. Apparently a lot of that equipment uses similar Bosch starters and parts are readily available. They can generally turn it around in 3 days or so.
Old October 12th, 2006, 01:20 PM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd90
Does anyone know of a different brand of starter for a '94 D90? I mean is the LR starter the same as a GM or Ford (or some other manufacturer) but with a different part number? How about an aftermarket starter for a Disco from a parts store chain (for less $$)? $400 to $600 is a little ridiculous especially when I just dropped $500 on cooling system parts. A cursory search of the FAQ Section on the great article on part conversions was unsuccessful.

How about rebuilding the starter. Do you think a local shop could rebuild it or is it an oddball starter setup?
My "Land Rover" starter is stamped Bosh. I recently decided to open it to rebuild it. Someone mentioned that it is in fact using standard parts (well brushes and solenoid) that I can get for about $50 total.
In the process I also learnt of a good address to get a new one for cheap:
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...4402#post74402

HTH,

Follow-up Post:

BTW, I had bought replacement brushes from Atlantic British (http://www.roverparts.com/) but they _do_not_ fit my starter, so open/check it out before you order parts!
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )
Old October 12th, 2006, 01:34 PM
bd90
Brian
94 Arles Blue #1644

Fabro, so you're saying that the Bosch unit is Bosch in name only?

Thanks for all the advice. After I posted I thought that if my battery is bad that could be the cause of the ticking noise when I turn the key. If so I won't need a starter but with my luck the battery will be in tiptop shape. If its the starter, I'll see about the rebuild option first and then try to find a $200 replacement somewhere.

Follow-up Post:

Fabro, I re-read your post. Now it makes sense. The starter has genuine Bosch parts but to rebuild it yourself you can use standard brushes, etc. to fix. Sorry about that. Brian
Old October 12th, 2006, 01:50 PM
MonLand
Loic Fabro

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd90
Fabro, I re-read your post. Now it makes sense. The starter has genuine Bosch parts but to rebuild it yourself you can use standard brushes, etc. to fix. Sorry about that. Brian
Yes, this is a Bosh starter. My understanding is that such starter has been widely used and (Bosh?) parts are widely available. I can't speak for the 1994, but I would assume this is the same starter? I have the part numbers of the starter and solenoid if you want to compare with yours.
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
Old October 12th, 2006, 04:56 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Loic -- for some reason I didn't realize you were in Herndon . . . anyway, Arlington Armature (which is actually in Alexandria) can rebuild the starters quickly and fairly inexpensively. Same with alternators.
Old October 12th, 2006, 08:10 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Mean green suck. I had two of them and gave up on them. They didn't like working in the not really cold of winter in Va.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old October 13th, 2006, 08:35 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
I think autozone had the bosch and lucas for around teh 200 spot
Old October 13th, 2006, 03:03 PM
MonLand
Loic Fabro

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4
I think autozone had the bosch and lucas for around teh 200 spot
I was quoted about $280 at my local Advanced Autopart. BUT, this was for a rebuilt (i.e. not a brand new one!).
New and rebuilt is not the same thing... ;-)
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
Old October 15th, 2006, 01:31 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

Had a mean green on my Range rover and liked it. I had it some seriously cold weather and snow but never experienced problems. Opposite case of Tyler's above, the stock selenoid kept feezing up in the winter and I could never get the truck to start. If I remember correctly I had to buy some extra battery cableing because the mean green does not fit up with stock wiring very well. I think this problem is amplified in Denfenders. Could be wrong though. The reason I went with the mean green was simply because it offered a lower gear ration than the stock starter which was something i wanted in the cold winters my car was seeing.
Old October 17th, 2006, 08:04 AM
Andrew Vick
Andrew Vick
95 D90

Got a new in the box starter from Nathan Crabtree at www.discountbritishparts.com for $148 or so. No issues whatsoever and Nathan is awesome to deal with.
Old October 17th, 2006, 08:52 AM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflash868
Had a mean green on my Range rover and liked it. I had it some seriously cold weather and snow but never experienced problems. Opposite case of Tyler's above, the stock selenoid kept feezing up in the winter and I could never get the truck to start. If I remember correctly I had to buy some extra battery cableing because the mean green does not fit up with stock wiring very well. I think this problem is amplified in Denfenders. Could be wrong though. The reason I went with the mean green was simply because it offered a lower gear ration than the stock starter which was something i wanted in the cold winters my car was seeing.
I loved the Mean Green when it worked. I accidentaly found out one day that I can actualy start the truck in gear and the starter would get me moving fast enough to keep going with just a little gas. I'd like to get another high torque starter just so long as it works in the winter.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old October 19th, 2006, 07:41 PM
loykd
Ken Loy
1994 Portofino Red ST

Bought my Bosch-design from a place in Lorton VA for $210. Found them through a local search on "alternator" "rebuild" "starter" for keyworkds

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
start, starter