Where to find an air conditioning condensor? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 3rd, 2015, 04:25 PM
jaherring
Jason Herring
94 D90 ST #1253

Where to find an air conditioning condensor?

D90 300TDI, original NAS so I have the NAS aircon setup.

My condensor has a slow leak - I've tried to have it fixed a few times and it's just not able to be repaired. The leak is so slow that two different air conditioning shops couldn't locate it. I had a suspicion where it was (some stress damage near the fittings attachment from R&R) and had it welded, which made it last longer before running low, but still, no go after a few months.

Summer is almost here. Where can I get one? I've looked and it seems Rovers North only sells kits now? (and they'd rape me anyway on price). I looked on eBay UK and can't find anything (who needs aircon in England?).

Is it possible to use a condensor from a Discovery? Any other thoughts about getting one that doesn't have to be custom made and cost a small fortune?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 3rd, 2015, 04:40 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
I assume you ran blue die right? Easiest way to find it
Old May 3rd, 2015, 04:46 PM
jaherring
Jason Herring
94 D90 ST #1253

Two different aircon places ran the dye and they couldn't detect the leak. It's very slow - it takes several months to seep out.

It was taking a month (of use) or so before I had a troublesome looking weld (fitting to the core) re-welded and that seemed to make it last almost a season.. but I don't want to have to refill this every year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 3rd, 2015, 05:27 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

I would try shop number three. clean all of the areas. It should only take hours running the AC on max. did they check inside? you could just sell the problem to someone else...PM details if you decide to sell...
Old May 3rd, 2015, 09:46 PM
DannyboyUpstate
Danny Harrington
1983 110 3-door

Registry
Where to find an air conditioning condensor?

If it's that slow, it could also be a compressor shaft seal.

I'm completely opposed to using dye in refrigerant circuits. Due to the fact that most automotive shops don't really have adequate tools to search for leaks, this is their go-to method. (Plus they get to charge you for the dye injection)

You need to find a shop with a top notch electronic leak detector. Either an Inficon D'Tek Select or a Bacharach/Mars/Johnson Controls H-10. These tools locate leaks that are a single ounce of refrigerant per year. You're probably losing 3-4 POUNDS per year. You may need to find a neighbor who is a competent Refrigeration Technician and ask him to leak check it more than he's leak checked anything in his life. If he has the right tool, he'll find it.

It also may help to evacuate the refrigerant that's in there, put a trace of R-22 in the system, and then increase the pressure in the system with Nitrogen to make the leak more apparent. Good luck.
Old May 29th, 2015, 06:22 PM
jaherring
Jason Herring
94 D90 ST #1253

Thanks, I'll try to find a better aircon shop then.... the place I went was admittedly a general-purpose shop. But I do suspect this weld as it did sustain some collateral damage during an engine swapping and I had it welded once which seemed to work (there was no indication of leak at that particular spot again).
Old May 29th, 2015, 06:48 PM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

Try Vintage Air replacement parts. They have a generic condenser that is almost an exact match for the D90. The size and fittings are correct, mounting brackets need slight mods. last one I bought was like 1/4 the price of OEM. I used part number 037033.

http://www.vintageair.com/2014catalo...08-15%2084.pdf

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions