Where to buy NAS 110 Oil Cooler line replacements - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 25th, 2015, 10:34 PM
Tyler Wirken
Tyler Wirken
1997 Defender 90 LE

Where to buy NAS 110 Oil Cooler line replacements

Where is the best place to buy stainless braided lines with all proper adapters for an NAS 110? I bought my adapters for mine from ECR but their site says they are no longer selling the parts. Only available for onsite install only.

Suggestions?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 25th, 2015, 10:37 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Wirken View Post
Where is the best place to buy stainless braided lines with all proper adapters for an NAS 110? I bought my adapters for mine from ECR but their site says they are no longer selling the parts. Only available for onsite install only.

Suggestions?

Thanks
I'd suggest you look for a local industrial hydraulic supply house that will make custom lines. Bring in your current ones and have them replace the flex sections with braided SS - this keeps the stock fittings and prevents the cobbled together adaptors that you would end up with.
Old November 25th, 2015, 10:48 PM
Brewie212
Brian Kandefer
1957 107 wagon, 94 arles St, 101 FC

Eric Brown at Trailhead, he makes killer kits! I have installed a half dozen this year, highly recommend his product.
Advertisement

Old November 25th, 2015, 10:57 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Wirken View Post

Suggestions?

Thanks
If you have the radiator adapters already then you don't need anyone's kit.
You can get all the 8AN fittings and hose right from JEGS or Summit Racing (or any other place that sells AN fittings).

------ Follow up post added November 25th, 2015 11:00 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mybluett View Post
I'd suggest you look for a local industrial hydraulic supply house that will make custom lines. Bring in your current ones and have them replace the flex sections with braided SS - this keeps the stock fittings and prevents the cobbled together adaptors that you would end up with.
This does not however solve the issue that Rover stupidly ran the lines right next to the RH exhaust manifold.
One of the many benefits of going with AN style hoses is that the lines are moved far away from the hot manifold, and when quality parts are used it is superior in every way to the Rover fittings.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old November 25th, 2015, 11:09 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR;691911
[SIZE=1

This does not however solve the issue that Rover stupidly ran the lines right next to the RH exhaust manifold.
One of the many benefits of going with AN style hoses is that the lines are moved far away from the hot manifold, and when quality parts are used it is superior in every way to the Rover fittings.
No disrespect meant, I'm sure you've done about 1K times more replacement lines than we have. But our solution does solve the issue if you specify a length that allows the lined to be run away from the manifold (as we have done a few times for customers). An easy solution that makes for a clean installation without aftermarket parts (not disparaging the quality of other suppliers, just simplifying the solution for a few people who prefer.
Old November 25th, 2015, 11:22 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mybluett View Post
No disrespect meant, I'm sure you've done about 1K times more replacement lines than we have. But our solution does solve the issue if you specify a length that allows the lined to be run away from the manifold (as we have done a few times for customers). An easy solution that makes for a clean installation without aftermarket parts (not disparaging the quality of other suppliers, just simplifying the solution for a few people who prefer.
To each his own, but the factory lines have long sections of hard pipe on each end that dictate where the flex line will go (and you can't use a thermostatic oil plate if you wanted to). If you extend the flex line you can get into issues with the AC filter/drier, especially on the early 1994 NAS 90s, and you can't truly route the line away from everything like you can when you make your own.
See the image. The hard pipes force the lines to be in bad places and unless you went really long on the flexible part you are still going to be in non-ideal locations.
We have also seen the stock lines with braided hose leak a good bit (because it is a crimp, not a full fitting) and in a couple of cases crack the radiator solder holding the oil cooler in place due to the weight and leverage. Adding more flex pipe would make that issue worse.
We are all for Genuine parts but the oil lines are a case where Rover got it dead wrong. Going with the stock parts over race proven superior aftermarket parts is not something we would suggest to any customer, especially after all the Defenders we have had to rebuild due to fires. YMMV.

NAS Defender oil line upgrade
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	oilmanifold.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	135608  

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old November 25th, 2015, 11:44 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Wow - looking at that pic that Mike @ ECR posted it looks like LR tried to get the lines as close as possible to the header pipe. Seems like there is a nice clean run straight across and clearing the header by a lot.

I used Trailhead lines on my NAS 90 years ago. For my current build I used AN fittings and it worked out well from the OM617 oil filter to a 200tdi radiator. The AN fitting are straight forward to work with.
Old November 26th, 2015, 08:42 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Mike, can you share your opinion on removing them all together for NAS applications? I don't believe the ROWs came with lines unless you ordered as an option an external oil cooler. I saw one once on a ROW I brought over from CH.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old November 29th, 2015, 08:32 PM
Tyler Wirken
Tyler Wirken
1997 Defender 90 LE

Thanks for the help. I will send all of this info onto the owner.
Old January 31st, 2016, 08:20 AM
ben little
ben little
1986 ex-MOD 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of40 View Post
Mike, can you share your opinion on removing them all together for NAS applications? I don't believe the ROWs came with lines unless you ordered as an option an external oil cooler. I saw one once on a ROW I brought over from CH.
I'd like to hear more about this as well. Doing a restore on my 110 now and although I'm temporarily keeping the little 2.5na, I'd like to remove the shitty oil cooler/ lines.

I recall reading somewhere on the board that ex-mod trucks (like mine) were only fitted with Oil Coolers so they could idle for days on end while radio transmitting.
Old January 31st, 2016, 09:22 AM
Reese_D90
Reese
97 D90 ST and 93 D110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewie212 View Post
Eric Brown at Trailhead, he makes killer kits! I have installed a half dozen this year, highly recommend his product.
X2 I have put these on all four of my defenders I have owned over time.
NAS 1993 D110 CDN #11/25
1997 D90 ST #1953
2006 Range Rover
1997 D90 SW #701 (sold)
1995 D90 ST (sold)
Old April 25th, 2016, 01:16 PM
RX6RCROL
Matthew Hedrick
1994 D-90 #646

Registry
Summit racing oil cooler line fail. I did not assemble these, previous owner did. Hose came out/squeezed out of the fitting. I reassembled it on the side of the road, got oil, drove on to Uwharrie. Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1696084777.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	504.2 KB
ID:	148063 Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1827463191.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	554.8 KB
ID:	148065 Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3809058084.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	601.6 KB
ID:	148066 Click image for larger version

Name:	image-522452244.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	480.9 KB
ID:	148067

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
110, ac, nas, nas 110