Where to buy a new windsheild ? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 14th, 2006, 01:22 PM
Doug Crowther
Doug Crowther
94SW,4.6HSE,93LWB,83 110

Where to buy a new windsheild ?

Has anyone recently purchased a new windsheild. I had an appointment with the local Safelite Auto Glass, their price was $218 plus installation. They called back after I dropped the windsheild frame off saying the glass was going to be dealer only-ie... order it from LRNA and would be $545 installed. This seemed ludicrous to me so I continued shopping. Seems our trucks are rare enough no one has this glass. Is Rovers North my only option ? I would love to go heated if I'm going to spend that much but this was the price for the normal tinted windsheild.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 14th, 2006, 01:28 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
if you want heated, best route in euroglass or better yet, John Craddock Ltd in the UK. they quoted me this:

"part number JC606 HEATED AND TINTED WINDSCREEN 165.00 Carriage would be 30.00 with PARCEL FORCE"

For non-heated, the piece of glass is flat, so any shop should be able to cut it. I have to replace mine as well, and Pendy is having a local shop cut it for under $250. If they are saying dealer, try another shop.
Old September 14th, 2006, 01:33 PM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

Go to any glass shop that deals with heavy equiptment and they will be able to cut you a new peaice of flat glass for ~150$... I got mine done at a place that works on construction equiptment... they were more than happy to take my money and install the glass.
IMO your should get a new seal and bring it to them if your is looking old at all. if it is new looking you can reuse it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 14th, 2006, 03:47 PM
btate
Bryan Tate
d90

I 2nd the glass shop, I got safety glass for the 110 and the 90.
I believe the laminated safety glass is what you want

Can't get tempered as that will not cut without breaking
Looks great, I could look for the receipt but believe it was about $200 installed
Check your seal, I replaced mine while I was doing the windshield

Tinted was an option
Old September 14th, 2006, 08:57 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

I will have one for sale complete by the end of the season if you can wait for a few months.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old September 15th, 2006, 01:28 AM
Gkase
George Kase
1983 110 200Tdi CSW LHD

David...are you cooking up a prototype windshield for sale or selling the one off your truck?
George
Old September 15th, 2006, 01:49 AM
D90user
steve

Buck- I may be interested if the price it right managed to crack the windshield today

That is what I get for giving advice on glass.. the glass gods are not pleased.

I'll probably be down in socal and could pick it up this winter... crack is on the passenger side so the girlfriend will just not be so happy

What are you planning?
Old September 15th, 2006, 08:59 AM
Monkeyboy

I "think" Pendy may still have one heated glass on the shelf...otherwise I'm voting for the heavy equipment glass.
Old September 15th, 2006, 10:11 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by D90user
Buck- I may be interested if the price it right managed to crack the windshield today

That is what I get for giving advice on glass.. the glass gods are not pleased.

I'll probably be down in socal and could pick it up this winter... crack is on the passenger side so the girlfriend will just not be so happy

What are you planning?
Hey guys,

Yes, I am selling the one I already have on the truck. The glass, frame, and any hardware. I am not looking for a lot of money at all. I won't be ready though for a couple of months min. If you are interested, you have first right of refusal

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old September 15th, 2006, 10:36 AM
Baldewin
Chris Baldewin
Bastard 90

David,

Put me down for second on your list for your windshield. I may even bring the green beast to pick it up.

Chris
Old September 15th, 2006, 12:54 PM
D90user
steve

Thanks Buck... let me know when I have the opportunity to refuse
Old September 15th, 2006, 02:23 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Theres this glass shop in Wilmington California off of PCH that cuts them out of flat safety autoglass for about 110 bucks. They use your windshield as a template and they even installed it on my 90 for nothing. I second on the getting a new seal. The only difference is the glass is a bit thicker than the british version and its a bit "greener". The British glass is clearer and lighter for some reason. Either way it still fits perfectly and you can't tell the difference really. They even did the windows for my series III. Those were in two pieces. Custom glass shops are the way to go.

Neil
Old September 15th, 2006, 02:34 PM
Doug Crowther
Doug Crowther
94SW,4.6HSE,93LWB,83 110

Found out Atlantic British carries them for $89.00 plus shipping.
Old September 16th, 2006, 12:11 AM
Shake
Bob Hanson AKA Two-Socks
Red 94 D-90 #428

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Crowther
Has anyone recently purchased a new windsheild. I had an appointment with the local Safelite Auto Glass, their price was $218 plus installation. They called back after I dropped the windsheild frame off saying the glass was going to be dealer only-ie... order it from LRNA and would be $545 installed. This seemed ludicrous to me so I continued shopping. Seems our trucks are rare enough no one has this glass. Is Rovers North my only option ? I would love to go heated if I'm going to spend that much but this was the price for the normal tinted windsheild.
OH MAN!!! Go to ELITE Auto Glass! It's a flat piece of glass. Had one cut and installed in my truck in an hour for $235 installed! It was easy for them.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions