Where is wiper relay on a 97 D90 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 11th, 2007, 08:26 PM
LenB
Len Bruffett
NAS '97 ST /SW-POE Config

Registry
Where is wiper relay on a 97 D90

Hi

Does anybody know where the relay for intermittant wiper function is? ('97 D-90) My intermitent function died on my front wipers a while ago. The wipers work in standard operation, but hey do not work in intermittant mode or after a washing cycle is complete - they do not return to the park position. I get them to return by using the wiper wand to move them a tap at a time. I was told that the relay is behind the fuse panel over the tunnel. All I have behind my fuse panel is the flasher relay and the service engine relay ( I just intensionally shorted that turkey to turn off my "Service Engine" light that came on at 81 K miles. The relay # I got from George at RDS is AMR2341 (it is red) - George didn't have one so I bought one from RN. They both felt that it should be behind the fuse panel. I went to install it today - no can find! Thanks in advance for any help.

Len

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 11th, 2007, 10:38 PM
ajtbussen
A J Bussen
1997 D-90 ST

IIRC the wash function and the intermittent function are controled by the aux. ecu. It is located above the clock behind the grey panel. Probably a bad connection to the ecu or the wiring harness. Good Luck.
Old December 11th, 2007, 11:08 PM
LenB
Len Bruffett

Registry
Thank you very much - I'll check the harnesses in the a..m. !

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 12th, 2007, 05:59 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
I was having trouble with one arm more than the other so i removed the passenger side arm. Think the aux ecu could be causing that? it's be nice to have two widers in the snow.
Old December 12th, 2007, 08:58 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of40
I was having trouble with one arm more than the other so i removed the passenger side arm. Think the aux ecu could be causing that? it's be nice to have two widers in the snow.
Sounds like either the wiper arm, gearbox or cable is stripped.
Old December 17th, 2007, 05:25 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenB
Hi

Does anybody know where the relay for intermittant wiper function is? ('97 D-90) My intermitent function died on my front wipers a while ago. The wipers work in standard operation, but hey do not work in intermittant mode or after a washing cycle is complete - they do not return to the park position. I get them to return by using the wiper wand to move them a tap at a time. I was told that the relay is behind the fuse panel over the tunnel. All I have behind my fuse panel is the flasher relay and the service engine relay ( I just intensionally shorted that turkey to turn off my "Service Engine" light that came on at 81 K miles. The relay # I got from George at RDS is AMR2341 (it is red) - George didn't have one so I bought one from RN. They both felt that it should be behind the fuse panel. I went to install it today - no can find! Thanks in advance for any help.

Len

There is no relay for the wiper on the 97, as posted earlier, it is controlled by the body ECU.

The problem you are having is caused by a bad park switch on the wiper motor. Rover part # 520160.
Remove the wiper motor cover and locate the park switch on the wiper motor (its that white-ish thing the wiring harness plugs into). Lift the LH most edge a bit and slide it off to the left. Swap the wires to the new switch and slide the new one on and everything will work 100%.
No tools needed other than a screwdriver to get the wiper motor cover (dash) off.

The AMR2341 is for the 93 110 or the 94-95 D90.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of40
The cause of this is usually the drum that goes on the wiper drive shaft. It connects to the shaft (the part coming out of the bulkhead) by use of a set screw. They loosen up over time. In some cases you can just tighten the set screw and it will be good. In most cases the set screw is rusted in place and you have to drill/ grind off the drum and install a new one. They are cheap but getting them off is a PITA sometimes.

Grab the wiper arm and move it back and forth carefully. If you see the arm and the splined drum moving, but not the chrome shaft coming out of the bulkhead then you need to tighten that set screw.

In later models they did away with that goofy system. I used to have to change those drums every couple years after Maine winters.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old December 18th, 2007, 11:53 AM
LenB
Len Bruffett

Registry
Thanks Mike,

I ordered the Limit Switch from a local LR dealer! - looks like a very simple install!.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, 97, 97 d90, d90, relay