Where is my Coolant Leak? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 28th, 2008, 09:21 PM
61rover
John Crouse
'93 NAS D110 (#8) / '61 Series II

Registry
Where is my Coolant Leak?

I have a very strange combination of symptoms. Turned on the heater and got a foggy windshield. I assumed the heater core was leaking, but I couldn't find a leak. (I'm going to pull the cover off the heater/AC this weekend to be sure). So I let the truck sit for several days and then fired it up this evening. I have moisture in the exhaust and I think the coolant looks a little low. I'm actually getting a drip at the Y-Pipe to exhaust joint.

Looks to me like a head gasket. Just wondering if there are any other possibilities.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 28th, 2008, 09:37 PM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

I ran into a coolant leak 2 weeks ago. No one laugh.... I undid the coolant tank cap and put my finger over the overspill little hose on the side of the tank and put my mouth on the coolant tank refill spout and blew into it. Found the leak as I could hear it. Just a suggestion. You could also try stiking in a rubber plug of some type and pressurizing the system similiar to the above.
Old October 28th, 2008, 09:45 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
There's no conceivable way that a headgasket leak can manifest itself as a foggy windshield, and its not uncommon to have moisture buildup in the exhaust, so I'd say if the foggy windshield persists, its the heater core.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 28th, 2008, 10:53 PM
61rover
John Crouse
'93 NAS D110 (#8) / '61 Series II

Registry
Coolant Leak

I did think about the two problems being unrelated. (On a Rover?) We'll see.

I bought a heater core just in case. If there is anyone else that needs a new heater core for the NAS 110, I think I found a source. I ordered it from an outfit I've never dealt with before. If they deliver, the price is 1/5 what they cost here.
Old October 29th, 2008, 12:41 AM
Chaucer
Will
93 110 | 97 90

I had a foggy windshield from turning on the heater...After thinking it was something like a heater core etc., it was the heater intake was full of water. There's rubber drain in the heater intake that gets clogged...then it fills with water, then you get a foggy windshield when you run your heater.
Old October 29th, 2008, 05:54 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
I was suprised at how much stuff can accumulate in that drain, probally best to clean it out a few times a year if your truck lives outside.
Old October 29th, 2008, 10:32 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Please keep us posted on NAS 110 heater core. Since I have mine out I want to replace it now.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
coolant