where can I buy a starter selonoid for an 86 defender - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 30th, 2015, 05:58 PM
Timemachine
Louis
None

where can I buy a starter selonoid for an 86 defender

Cleaning all my wires today as my starter was very sluggish and on the last positive wire broke the nut right off the starter selonoid. Where can I get one in the states? It's an 86 defender 90 XMOD version.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 30th, 2015, 06:27 PM
Timemachine
Louis
None

it's a 2.5 diesel. It does come off and looks like many on ebay for the 300tdi but no one lists my year and model.
Old March 31st, 2015, 10:22 AM
pitchrollyaw
wayne p
1985 d90 2.5NA

Registry
RovahFarm for all your new Land Rover Parts and Accessories

The second one down is what you need, hung one on my 2.5 two years ago. If your ex MOD has the extra brace to the block at the front of the starter, it will not work with these new production starters, but this doesn't seem to be a problem as not all trucks had the additional brace.

My slow starter was partially due to a bad chassis ground, which probably contributed to its demise. Sound like you are on top of your connections though.
..tolerant Wife...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 31st, 2015, 10:32 AM
dlbriller
Doug
1987 ex-MOD 'Tithonus' Defender 110

If it's a Valeo starter you can find one here - Accumax, P/N 10-PR148: 10-PR148 (12V,3-Terminal).

I put one in my ex-mod and it worked twice but was still giving me issues, so I just replaced the whole starter with a new one from Trevor. It might have just been a bad solenoid straight from the factory but I never dug into it further.
Old March 31st, 2015, 11:06 AM
BostonAndy
Andrew
Moose :: 1985 110

Registry
I'd replace the entire unit for new. That extra money over a solenoid will save you $ down the road.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
defender, start, starter