Where are the important grounds - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 26th, 2009, 11:56 AM
mightymg
Lane Farka
97 D90, 05 LR3, 95 RRC LWB

Where are the important grounds

Where are the important grounds for the ecu and the alarm unit..

The truck has done this once before, its runnign fine, then it just shuts off like its out of gas..

What i have noticed its that when it does this I dont have a CEL when the key is in the on position, Im thinking this is a ground issue somewhere causing the communication failure betweeen the ecu and the alarm......

Thanks for the help

Lane

Follow-up Post:

Also I noticed when its running fine the door beeper works correctly, as soon as it dies, the door beeper no longer works..

95 RRC LWB-- DD
97 D90 37 " krawlers, coilovers, beadlocks, stretched
05 LR3 - Mamas/ tow rig

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Moab rally vids 2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 26th, 2009, 02:56 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Use the door beeper to find the problem. I do not think it is the fuel injection power circuits based on your description.

Ground is battery to frame to transfer case. Check and or replace this cable. Ground to firewall by heater box. Ground on back of drivers side cylinder head to firewall and fuel injection.

Things to check. Main system relay. Positive from battery to starter to maxi-fuse box to fuse panel. Starter positive leads can be hosed easily. They jumper from the battery to the maxifuse box and alternator there starter input.

Good luck

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old September 26th, 2009, 05:42 PM
mightymg
Lane Farka

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendy
Use the door beeper to find the problem. I do not think it is the fuel injection power circuits based on your description.

Ground is battery to frame to transfer case. Check and or replace this cable. Ground to firewall by heater box. Ground on back of drivers side cylinder head to firewall and fuel injection.

Things to check. Main system relay. Positive from battery to starter to maxi-fuse box to fuse panel. Starter positive leads can be hosed easily. They jumper from the battery to the maxifuse box and alternator there starter input.

Good luck
great thanks alot Pendy..

One thing i do remember from the last time i had this happen and I was tracing power issues, I ended up unbolting the fuze block assy under the console to check the back, and after a while of messing around ut started working again..

95 RRC LWB-- DD
05 LR3 - Mamas/ tow rig

- Moab rally vids 2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 26th, 2009, 06:30 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

I think the main relay or a ignition switch relay gets ground from the fuse box metal suround. Check the way it fastens to the bulkhead. And check the ground to the bulkhead from the engine. Do not be afraid to add a ground wire from the engine to the bulkhead. Of a larger gauge.

May end up being the relay. It could be damaged from the resistance in its control circuit. But the resistance will have to be sorted as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymg
great thanks alot Pendy..

One thing i do remember from the last time i had this happen and I was tracing power issues, I ended up unbolting the fuze block assy under the console to check the back, and after a while of messing around ut started working again..

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old September 26th, 2009, 11:36 PM
mightymg
Lane Farka

Great thanks alot, Ill tear the console out tommorrow to see what i can find..

95 RRC LWB-- DD
05 LR3 - Mamas/ tow rig

- Moab rally vids 2010
Old June 15th, 2012, 04:15 PM
cbass
Bradlee Duncan
'94 White and '95 Red D's

Lane, I'm running into a similar issue and was wondering what you found with this....

In my case, the truck runs 100% fine until I shut off the heater. If I shut off the heater, about 10 seconds later the door chime sounds as if the door is open with the key on and then the engine will cut out entirely. Where should I look??

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
import