Where Are My Gears? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 11th, 2014, 04:37 PM
moose
Brett
Ex-Mod Tdi 110 Hard Top

Registry
Where Are My Gears?

Started having a bit of trouble with my gearbox recently. It's an R380. Was occasionally having trouble getting into 5th, but it seemed more like the shift lever then inside the gearbox. Couple weeks later it became a struggle getting into reverse. Then a couple days later when stopped, I would have to shift into 2nd before it would slip into 1st. Then, it would not go into 1st or 2nd at all. Shift lever would not move far enough to the left so it would only go into 3rd and 4th.

Yesterday I pulled the boot and the shifter off thinking I would find a worn bushing or loose grub screw in there but everything was fine. Looks like I have some serious gearbox issues going on now. Once the shift lever cover was off, the shaft in there would move freely forwards and back into the 3rd and 4th positions without any resistance at all, so something is obviously broken or come undone.

Truck ran fine prior to this and there was no new strange noises coming from the gearbox. It is stuck in gear now, 3rd I believe, and will still move but it's not like I am going far in one gear. I'm thinking not, but is there anything I can do here before pulling the gearbox and rebuilding or replacing. I am familiar with tearing down Series gearboxes but have never seen the inside of one of these R380's.

Looks like the Series 3 is back in the roll of daily driver... which ain't so bad.

Brett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 11th, 2014, 05:09 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
No way to tell without opening up the tranny, which is actually not that difficult to do.

I had a similar problem with my LT77, except it shifted flawlessly until it stuck suddenly in 4th gear. Disassembly showed that the 4th gear synchro was locked into gear and a synchro key was "flipped up" and prevented the synchro from returning back to neutral.

Easy enough to rebuild, though it took a while and some new parts.
Old May 11th, 2014, 05:19 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Have you changed the fluids? Might be top late but I'm now convinced I haven't changed mine often enough and for no good reason.

Clay

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 11th, 2014, 06:02 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Make sure the fluid is not low and the clutch is adjusted properly.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old May 11th, 2014, 06:53 PM
moose
Brett
Ex-Mod Tdi 110 Hard Top

Registry
Fluid level has always been fine and was recently changed with new Redline MTL when the box started to act up with the shifting into 5th problem. Clutch is fine too. Definitely something amiss inside the box.

Argh. Did need this hassle or expense right now.

Brett
Old May 19th, 2014, 08:38 PM
moose
Brett
Ex-Mod Tdi 110 Hard Top

Registry
So I dug a little deeper into the gearbox today. Took the shifter and housing back off then removed the whole top cover, and found something interesting. The set screw had come loose allowing the selector quadrant to slide around on the selector shaft, resulting my lack of gears. I suspect the set screw had gradually backed out allowing some play in the selector quadrant on the shaft causing in the increasingly difficult gear changes.

I relocated the selector quadrant, fitted the set screw and everything seems to be shifting normally again. Unfortunatly it is a bit difficult to do a proper test drive with the seatbox out, but few feet driving up and down the driveway went well.

The manual says to use Locktite 270 and tighten to 25Nm, so that is on tomorrows agenda.

Brett

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions