Wheels with drum brakes - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 21st, 2016, 06:28 PM
Sanbornc
Christopher Sanborn
1990 Defender 110

Registry
Wheels with drum brakes

I have been looking on this forum to see if this question has been answered, but I haven't found anything. If there is a thread already for this question, please point me to it.

I need a spare tire and rim for my 1990 Defender 110. I have been debating just getting a full set of rims but I cannot figure out what I can get which will fit. I have read that I need an offset because of the rear drum brakes, but I'm unsure of what that offset needs to be. I would love to get alloy rims but I think that it out of the questions without spacers (I personally think they are dangerous) or replacing the axle. I'm curious about the latter but I think this may be more of a project to tackle at this time.

What rims will fit a Defender with drum brakes.
Thanks
Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 21st, 2016, 06:31 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

There are aftermarket alloys that fit. I believe stormer has a pair for sale. Otherwise, any rover pattern steel wheel will fit. I personally like disco I spare wheels but no one else does.
Old September 21st, 2016, 06:40 PM
Sanbornc
Christopher Sanborn
1990 Defender 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
There are aftermarket alloys that fit. I believe stormer has a pair for sale. Otherwise, any rover pattern steel wheel will fit. I personally like disco I spare wheels but no one else does.
Thanks for the reply. I like the Disco rims too. I'm looking at these below but I'm not sure how I can tell if the offset would be correct, or could I use a spacer just on the rear?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Disco rims.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	158112  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 21st, 2016, 07:04 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
It has nothing to do with the brakes or the offset. The interference is with the drive flanges.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old September 21st, 2016, 07:07 PM
Sanbornc
Christopher Sanborn
1990 Defender 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
It has nothing to do with the brakes or the offset. The interference is with the drive flanges.
Thanks. I always thought that it was the brakes. What am I looking for in a wheel?
Old September 21st, 2016, 07:11 PM
Naplm00
Matthew
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top

Second vote for the disco 1 spare steel wheels. Cheap and tough.

If you have the coin and time, I like my procomp 16x8 black steel wheels. With coupon codes from 4wheel parts I got mine for about 66 a wheel. They have a great offset the pushed my tires out.
Old September 23rd, 2016, 08:46 PM
Sanbornc
Christopher Sanborn
1990 Defender 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naplm00 View Post
Second vote for the disco 1 spare steel wheels. Cheap and tough.

If you have the coin and time, I like my procomp 16x8 black steel wheels. With coupon codes from 4wheel parts I got mine for about 66 a wheel. They have a great offset the pushed my tires out.
Thanks for the info. I'm going to show my ignorance. What kind of offset would I want, and why would I want an offset?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
brake, wheel, wheels