Wheels n tires - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 15th, 2015, 08:24 AM
Squaretyre
Landan
94 d90

Registry
Wheels n tires

Looking for suggestions for steel wheel n tire sizes n makes for general off road conditions. ( rocky Mountain area, not mud bogs for example) have 3" lift for space but unsure on wheel off set or prefered tire size with rover rear end gearing etc. Just like something other than street wheels n tires for off road events.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 15th, 2015, 09:27 AM
ron
Ron
1994 NAS Defender 90

I have been happy with the duratrac... 285 75 16 on wolfes but rim width may be a bit small
Old September 15th, 2015, 10:08 AM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe
Defender/Disco/Series/MoD

My preference is 7.50R16 (or LT235/85R16) on Wolf's. I find they do well with stock gearing, and i like skinny tires.

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 15th, 2015, 10:37 AM
meatblanket
Mike Simpson
1955 86 1986 ExMOD 110

Registry
I like my BFG Mud Terrains, 255 85 16 on ANR1534 wheels. Wolf wheels would work fine also with that tire.
Old September 15th, 2015, 11:23 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Google "Modular" steel wheel. These are the cheapest option and are available in a variety of rim widths (up to 10"+) and offsets. Can be had for as little as $50 a wheel new.

As Mike mentioned, another alternative is the "Wolf" steel wheel. There are multiple versions of this steel wheel. There is an authentic version as well as some copies. They come in tubed and tubeless versions as well. They are fairly narrow wheels, but are constructed to have a 2200kg rating. I don't know much about these wheels so hopefully others can chime in.

This is a good resource to become educated about Wolf Wheels:
http://www.landroverexpedition.com/e...t/wolf-wheels/
Old September 15th, 2015, 11:38 AM
rovertrader
Dale
Tithonus 110, D-90, 109 S/T 5-door

I have a set of NTO Wolf/XZLs off my Tithonus if interested... Set of 5.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old September 15th, 2015, 12:05 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
This is a good resource to become educated about Wolf Wheels:
Wolf wheels | Land Rover Expedition
That is a terrible article full of misinformation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Present:
1960 SII 109"- "Red Square"
1984 90 Tdi- "Yamelo"
1988 RRC- "Chewbacca"
1987 RRC- "Chewy 2"
2008 RRS SC- "The Supersofa"

Past:
1959 SII 88"- "The Little Green Beastie" last seen in NY
1972 SIII 88"- "GreenHELL" now in NC
1988 90 "Eric the Half a Bee" half a truck, sold for parts
1991 RRC- never got a name- long since recycled
Old September 15th, 2015, 12:20 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

On Steelies, 255/85-16 would be my choice of size with your suspension set uo.
Old September 15th, 2015, 01:27 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching View Post
lmfao

------ Follow up post added September 15th, 2015 02:31 PM ------

Gulf Coast Rovers used to offer and wheel made by american racing for reasonable money. I have several sets of wolf aka nato aka 130 wheels and dont get the hype

Home | Gulf Coast Rovers

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Land Rover Shipment and Importation Service
Bespoke Restoration & Modification work

Old September 15th, 2015, 01:38 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Boosts...
Old September 15th, 2015, 01:40 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:

What is wrong with it?
Old September 15th, 2015, 02:13 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Quote:
What is wrong with it?
really Ed? Hmmm, lets see...

>a fully loaded Defender comfortably on one wheel - a possible situation you may find yourself in on tricky terrain. –

If you only have one wheel on the ground regardless of terrain, load capacity of the rim is the least of your concerns

>In my case, the modulars are an inch shorter than the Wolfs wheels with their standard 7.50R16 tyres,

This is a tire size issue that has zip(0) to do with wheels.

>There are two types of Wolf rim. (Well, three but ANR1543PM is superceded).

ANR1534 is a NATO/130/1-ton rim that is not and AFAIK has never been a Wolf rim.

>The ANR5593 is meant to be used with tubes whilst the ANR4583 with tubeless tires. Tubeless tyres are considered to have better strength and durability, but tubed tyres are easier to repair.
Tubed tires have to have the tube removed to make a repair. Tubless you just put a plug and keep going. Of course there are other situations that could happen, but overall I’m not sure if this really applies. If you carry a radial tube or two you can always turn your tubeless tire into a tubed one.

>The consensus is that you can fit tubeless tyres to tubed rims with tubes,

With, or without, as many have been doing for fracking ever.

>but not tubed tyres to tubeless rims. This is because tubeless rims have an extra ridge that eventually wears on the tubes.

No idea why someone would pay the premium for tubeless rims and then put tubes in the tires. Do the tubeless LR rims even have a valve hole large enough for the tube’s valve to pass through? I can’t see the bead retention ridge causing a problem, its just rounded hump. This guy is just repeating crap he hears on the interwebs.

>Although, it is also said that fitting tubeless tyres to tubed rims are prone to >leaking because of the bead not sealing properly, but there are also accounts of this >not being an issue.

News flash, this can happen with tubeless tires on tubeless rims too! Oh my GOD! And wait…sometimes- get this... it DOESN’T HAPPEN!! This is because sometimes the tires are correctly installed on a clean mounting surface. And sometimes, good rims go bad. I had some wood get wedged in my tire’s beads. A couple times. For fudges sake.

>The Wolf wheel you don't want to use with tubeless tyres is ANR1543PM, as this is a Tubed rivetted construction and is not as air-tight as the later welded rims.

This can be a problem. But not a big enough problem to suggest eschewing them altogether. Unless of course you are on that solo expedition with no way to add air to a tire. In which case you may need to stop fretting over wheels and get your fuggin head examined.

>In any case, this tubed wheel/tubeless tyre combo probably has a tube in it

Maybe, maybe not. Pretty easy to tell. IF, and only if, you have the gift of sight AND a freaking clue.

Here's the link again in case anyone hasn't read it yet.
Internet Wannabe Talks About Stuff He Knows Nothing About | Land Rover Expedition

Present:
1960 SII 109"- "Red Square"
1984 90 Tdi- "Yamelo"
1988 RRC- "Chewbacca"
1987 RRC- "Chewy 2"
2008 RRS SC- "The Supersofa"

Past:
1959 SII 88"- "The Little Green Beastie" last seen in NY
1972 SIII 88"- "GreenHELL" now in NC
1988 90 "Eric the Half a Bee" half a truck, sold for parts
1991 RRC- never got a name- long since recycled
Old September 15th, 2015, 02:24 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
That was comprehensive in a way that only you could make it, Dave Thanks!
Old September 15th, 2015, 04:56 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Need to know what you have for power and if you are up for re-gearing to recommend a tire size. Then you can figure out what tread will work for the terrain.

I am a fan of Wolfs. Even the cheap repo's are thick gauge and tough. And they look just right on a Defender.

Stock Disco 1 steels are an option but the offset is stock and the outer steel is more light duty. I bent pretty easily with a 315 on it so it had plenty of side protection. I think a Disco 1 steelie cut out and a thicker outer rim welded onto it with more offset would be great.

Modular's are cheap and can come in various sizes but I hate how they look. Just too generic / Jeep for me.
Old September 15th, 2015, 06:30 PM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe
Defender/Disco/Series/MoD

Quote:
As Mike mentioned, another alternative is the "Wolf" steel wheel. There are multiple versions of this steel wheel. There is an authentic version as well as some copies. They come in tubed and tubeless versions as well.
I don't really consider knock-offs to be a "version".

AFAIK there are only two versions, tube type and tubeless.

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic
Old September 15th, 2015, 08:54 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
The 15x8 desert rover?s Doug posted will clear 35" tires with your 3" springs IIRC. Those wheels with 33x10.5 Should help your steering radius over stock esp 285's on stock wheels . Those wolfs are mostly foroverlanding and the extra weight of the roof tents. I imagine they are tough but quite heavy .

Ive not been particularly easy to the alloys on my Classic and have never lost a beat or sprung a leak .
Old September 15th, 2015, 09:26 PM
rovertrader
Dale
Tithonus 110, D-90, 109 S/T 5-door

I am a Wolf advocate. However, the Gulf Coast steelies are nice for wider tires given their offset- make it possible to run 35/12.50 with 2-3" lift. Plenty strong as well...

Old September 15th, 2015, 10:03 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
1994 Defender 90 #916

Quote:
really Ed? Hmmm, lets see... >a fully loaded Defender comfortably on one wheel - a possible situation you may find yourself in on tricky terrain. – If you only have one wheel on the ground regardless of terrain, load capacity of the rim is the least of your concerns >In my case, the modulars are an inch shorter than the Wolfs wheels with their standard 7.50R16 tyres, This is a tire size issue that has zip(0) to do with wheels. >There are two types of Wolf rim. (Well, three but ANR1543PM is superceded). ANR1534 is a NATO/130/1-ton rim that is not and AFAIK has never been a Wolf rim. >The ANR5593 is meant to be used with tubes whilst the ANR4583 with tubeless tires. Tubeless tyres are considered to have better strength and durability, but tubed tyres are easier to repair. Tubed tires have to have the tube removed to make a repair. Tubless you just put a plug and keep going. Of course there are other situations that could happen, but overall I’m not sure if this really applies. If you carry a radial tube or two you can always turn your tubeless tire into a tubed one. >The consensus is that you can fit tubeless tyres to tubed rims with tubes, With, or without, as many have been doing for fracking ever. >but not tubed tyres to tubeless rims. This is because tubeless rims have an extra ridge that eventually wears on the tubes. No idea why someone would pay the premium for tubeless rims and then put tubes in the tires. Do the tubeless LR rims even have a valve hole large enough for the tube’s valve to pass through? I can’t see the bead retention ridge causing a problem, its just rounded hump. This guy is just repeating crap he hears on the interwebs. >Although, it is also said that fitting tubeless tyres to tubed rims are prone to >leaking because of the bead not sealing properly, but there are also accounts of this >not being an issue. News flash, this can happen with tubeless tires on tubeless rims too! Oh my GOD! And wait…sometimes- get this... it DOESN’T HAPPEN!! This is because sometimes the tires are correctly installed on a clean mounting surface. And sometimes, good rims go bad. I had some wood get wedged in my tire’s beads. A couple times. For fudges sake. >The Wolf wheel you don't want to use with tubeless tyres is ANR1543PM, as this is a Tubed rivetted construction and is not as air-tight as the later welded rims. This can be a problem. But not a big enough problem to suggest eschewing them altogether. Unless of course you are on that solo expedition with no way to add air to a tire. In which case you may need to stop fretting over wheels and get your fuggin head examined. >In any case, this tubed wheel/tubeless tyre combo probably has a tube in it Maybe, maybe not. Pretty easy to tell. IF, and only if, you have the gift of sight AND a freaking clue. Here's the link again in case anyone hasn't read it yet. Internet Wannabe Talks About Stuff He Knows Nothing About | Land Rover Expedition
Dave I'm really high right now and that was by far the funniest response I've ever read. I can't stop laughing.

The whole time I was reading it, I was saying it in your voice and it was spot on.
1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV
Old September 15th, 2015, 10:16 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Daniel, I think your response may be even more funny than Dave's response. But then I have only been drinking beer.
Old September 15th, 2015, 10:24 PM
rlynch356
Robert Lynch
1995 NAS

Any love for the saw tooth wheels? I like the look but don't think they would make it off road...
The td Dakar wheels also look interesting but...

95' D90 - daily driver..

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
tire, tires, wheel, wheels