Wheels for 315/35"s - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 5th, 2012, 07:21 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Wheels for 315/35"s

Ever since I got the Toy diff done and updated to 4.1's I've been kicking around going up to 35" tires.

After searching online forever I think I made my choice with 315/75-16 MTR/K's from Goodyear. They are actually lighter than my 285/75 SSR's and I have found hardly any bad things about them on the Jeep and Toyota forums. Plus o2betsea just got a set and if they are good enough for him they should be plenty good for me

I am running 6.5" wide Wolf/NATO wheels now but am worried that the 315 is going to be too wide for them (although I did get one MTR/K mounted as a test fit on the 90 and it looks pretty good).

I've read various threads saying 8" is the minimal but have seen 315 width tires run on stock alloys on here and a few people running them with 6.5" Wolfs. I think Jorge is running 345 on stock alloys.

So question is:

Can I keep the Wolf/NATO's wheels and mount the MTR/K's up to them. I probably won't need spacers just adjust the front stops.

Or would one of these options be better:

16x7 - LR Steel Disco Spare with 30mm spacers
16x8 - Pro Comp, 4.75" backspacing, no spacers
16x8 - Terrafirma Steelies, not sure the specs just saw them on Lucky8's Facebook page

I'd want to stay clear away from the 10" wide mudder look and keep the tires as close to the fender arch line as possible.

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 5th, 2012, 07:25 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by don
Ever since I got the Toy diff done and updated to 4.1's I've been kicking around going up to 35" tires.

After searching online forever I think I made my choice with 315/75-16 MTR/K's from Goodyear. They are actually lighter than my 285/75 SSR's and I have found hardly any bad things about them on the Jeep and Toyota forums. Plus o2betsea just got a set and if they are good enough for him they should be plenty good for me

I am running 6.5" wide Wolf/NATO wheels now but am worried that the 315 is going to be too wide for them (although I did get one MTR/K mounted as a test fit on the 90 and it looks pretty good).

I've read various threads saying 8" is the minimal but have seen 315 width tires run on stock alloys on here and a few people running them with 6.5" Wolfs. I think Jorge is running 345 on stock alloys.

So question is:

Can I keep the Wolf/NATO's wheels and mount the MTR/K's up to them. I probably won't need spacers just adjust the front stops.

Or would one of these options be better:

16x7 - LR Steel Disco Spare with 30mm spacers
16x8 - Pro Comp, 4.75" backspacing, no spacers
16x8 - Terrafirma Steelies, not sure the specs just saw them on Lucky8's Facebook page

I'd want to stay clear away from the 10" wide mudder look and keep the tires as close to the fender arch line as possible.

Thanks in advance
I'm running that size tire on Wolfs. You'll need/want spacers or your turning radius will be awful.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old March 5th, 2012, 07:41 PM
Rosproline157
Matt Oaks
1992 Defender 90

Registry
You need to run them with 8" rims min. or the tires will balloon out really badly and wear funny. More then likely the beads on the tire uninflated is wider then 6.5 inches. not very safe either...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 5th, 2012, 07:46 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

I have a set of 35's SSR's on 15x10 wheels that I may sell... May have 2000 miles on this...but probably less.

Old March 5th, 2012, 09:43 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by woldd90 View Post
I have a set of 35's SSR's on 15x10 wheels that I may sell... May have 2000 miles on this...but probably less.
Thanks for the offer but want to stay with the GY MTR/K's. I actually have 2 in the garage now. Going to buy another pair when I get the funds.

I was thinking of going the 35x10.5 SSR's but wanted to try something else and the SSR's in that size were expensive and a little more difficult to find. I'm curious as to how the GY's will do compared to the SSR's on the trail especially in the mud.
Old March 5th, 2012, 11:19 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosproline157 View Post
You need to run them with 8" rims min. or the tires will balloon out really badly and wear funny. More then likely the beads on the tire uninflated is wider then 6.5 inches. not very safe either...
I know Goodyear specs minimal 8" rim. But I have seen people run that size tire on 7" wide rims and was wondering with a "lighter" rig like the 90 and on a D load range tire that it might work if the correct tire pressue is used. Measured the bead on a unmounted tire at 7" if that makes any difference. I'm thinking the 6.5" Wolf was too narrow but maybe the 7" LR rim might work.

The Terrafirma steelie could be a good option.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
wheel, wheels