Wheelies and brakes! - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 6th, 2006, 09:36 AM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

Wheelies and brakes!

This got me thinking a little. I was climbing Hell's Gate in Moab and my front right tire came off the ground for about +/- 3'. Now who ever did or seen that obstacle knows lifting a tire is not good, so when that happened I had to take it easy and since I have an auto I put my left foot on the brake paddle and amazingly my front tire came back to the ground and my question is was it luck or applying the brakes does help?

Thanks
Advertisement

Old January 6th, 2006, 10:19 AM
mhansen
Mike Hansen
97 D-90 SW #2243

Ninga needs schooling

Traction Control 101.

When the brakes are applied the traction control turns off. If the TC is active you can hear and feel it go off. Sounds just like HDC when you hit the brakes.

What happens is the tire with traction, then looses it (ie open diffs with no TC) and the suspension settles to a neutral stance. When the brake is then released and you hit the gas the truck will then again rase a wheel.

BTW how are things over as Disco Web
Old January 6th, 2006, 03:17 PM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

Haha funny.

I see what you are saying, but I've seen people with lockers do the same thing. I could be wrong though. I'm putting ARB lockers and gears in the Disco at the end of the month, it will be interesting to see if this works on a locked rig.
Advertisement

Old January 6th, 2006, 03:20 PM
ne4x4
Ian McCormack
1984 Landrover 90

it will work I'm sure somewhere there was an article on driving hummers which mentioned pulsing the brake pedal on slipy stuff to maintain traction
Old January 8th, 2006, 12:54 PM
geneseemtn
shane
curently without rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by ne4x4
it will work I'm sure somewhere there was an article on driving hummers which mentioned pulsing the brake pedal on slipy stuff to maintain traction
My regular off road rig is an H1, and I use BTM (brake throttle modulation) often. By dragging the brake & overpowering the brakes w/ the engine, the drive train is all working together, so it gives the same effect as a center locking differential - all the wheels move together & are locked via the transfer case through the drive train.
Old January 8th, 2006, 09:37 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

This is a pretty simple trick, farmers do this all the time when driving tractrs uphill. When driving uphill most of the tork is applied to the rear wheels, and the direction the tires turn applies almost a twist on the drivetrain which lifts or pushes up on the truck, this is the same reason why dragsters pull wheelies. When you apply the breaks you remove some of the upward twisting force applie to the wheels, if you don't belive me ask a farmer who drives a tractor on a hill.
Old January 10th, 2006, 09:46 AM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

Yes but when you have a CDL wouldn't the "tork" be divided front and rear?
Old January 10th, 2006, 10:31 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

ven with 4sd the truck will still tork over. (just remembering now) A few months ago I was on a friends property and took his tractor for a spinn, when i started up a steep hill (not that steep but I was in a big tractor) the front end got very light, I throttled up (hand throttles rule!) and pushed on the breaks and diff lock and she climbed up without being as light on the front.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
brake, wheel