Wheel spacers? New rims? New ??? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 23rd, 2015, 07:45 PM
defdad
Philip
1985 Defender 110 3.5 V8

Wheel spacers? New rims? New ???

Happy Friday everyone. Hope someone can help...

I'm getting a lot of wobble from the front on my 1985 110 at around 40mph (goes away over 40mph). Guy at the local Rover place says the front rims are the culprit and is noticing metal shavings inside the rim. Claims these aren't the right rims for the vehicle and wants me to get new ones (!) but my wallet starts to frown at that idea. What makes it a little more strange is that even though the front and rear wheels are in line with each other, the dust caps on the front axle protrude a lot farther out than the ones on the rear axle. I don't mind that as much, although it would be nice to get some center caps on those rims moving forward.

Not much info from the PO on this vehicle so not sure if the axles or rotors were replaced at one time. At any rate, before investing in new rims my thought was to perhaps get some 30mm wheel spacers which may solve all of the above issues (stop the wobble and make the dust caps flush with the rim). Anyone ever seen this before or may know what is going on?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 23rd, 2015, 08:38 PM
psykokid
Jake
1997 Disco

Spacers would be the easiest way to sort it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old January 23rd, 2015, 09:19 PM
defdad
Philip
1985 Defender 110 3.5 V8

Thank you gentlemen, spacers it is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 23rd, 2015, 10:28 PM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
your going to need longer studs to fit the spacers… these are the ones i used.

http://www.ezaccessory.com/Wheel_Ada...1_5_p/st25.htm
Old January 23rd, 2015, 11:11 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Wobble at 40? Have you checked to see if the tires are balanced?
Old January 23rd, 2015, 11:47 PM
defdad
Philip
1985 Defender 110 3.5 V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix37 View Post
your going to need longer studs to fit the spacers… these are the ones i used.

http://www.ezaccessory.com/Wheel_Ada...1_5_p/st25.htm
Thanks. I have seen a few people around here using their spacers as well...are they pretty reputable?

------ Follow up post added January 23rd, 2015 08:50 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
Wobble at 40? Have you checked to see if the tires are balanced?
The PO said he just had them done...perhaps it's time for a second opinion.
Old January 23rd, 2015, 11:57 PM
Greg S
Greg Sutfin
1986 90

"Don't really fit." Is sort of a polite term for THEY WONT FIT!!!!! Your going to crash!

Unless the truck or wheel has been modified for that application.
Old January 24th, 2015, 12:10 AM
Greg S
Greg Sutfin
1986 90

The inside of the aluminum wheel has to be ground down to provide clearance around the bolts holding the drive flange on or else you have to install the newer thinner drive flange. I don't know if that can be done by just swapping or if there has to be a change made on the axle stub as well.

My guess is that you presently have the wheel bolted on and fitting against the already mentioned bolt heads. Not against the brake/ hub face where it is supposed to be.
Old January 24th, 2015, 02:09 AM
emah
Ed Mah
1993 NAS D110

Registry
Greg is correct. I recently purchased a NAS 110 and the previous owner mounted DI Freestyle alloys on there but he had to grind the inside of the hub area to accommadate the drive flanges. I It was a tight fit but he made it work. I did not like those wheels so I bought the same ones you have the Boost and installed the 30 mm aluminum spacers and Perfecto. Great fit and smooth driving. My suggestion as Psychokid mentioned just get the spacers and you're done. Don't need longer studs. If your ever in San Diego you can swing by and check out my Rig. Good Luck!
Eddie

ps I forgot that as mentioned above...if there was an axle swap that may affect the fit.
Old January 24th, 2015, 06:08 AM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
Eddie before Philip has a wheel come flying off are you sure the studs on your NAS 110 are the same length as his 85?!

I don't think they are. I ran spacers on my NAS 110 without longer studs but the nuts barely screw on to my older 110. Just doesnt feel safe. Id think twice before running without longer studs.
Old January 24th, 2015, 09:33 AM
LRover
J. Michael McCaig
D90 ST, LR110, Series IIa, RRC

If the wobble doesn't go away after fitting spacers etc., check your panhard rod bushings
Old January 24th, 2015, 11:25 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
swivel ball tension as well
Old January 24th, 2015, 12:39 PM
defdad
Philip
1985 Defender 110 3.5 V8

Thanks everyone... going have to adhere my new Land Rover regarding the spacers: OWTFO!

(one way to find out!)
Old January 24th, 2015, 08:14 PM
psykokid
Jake
1997 Disco

If you are able to bolt the alloys on now and get good thread engagement with the lug nuts then you shouldnt need longer studs for the spacers. Since the truck isn't your daily I'd just order the spacers and fit them on. Get the longer studs only if you need them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old January 25th, 2015, 02:25 AM
samer0214
Samer Hijazi
1997 P38 Vitesse

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix37 View Post
Eddie before Philip has a wheel come flying off are you sure the studs on your NAS 110 are the same length as his 85?!

I don't think they are. I ran spacers on my NAS 110 without longer studs but the nuts barely screw on to my older 110. Just doesnt feel safe. Id think twice before running without longer studs.

I agree with John. I have an '86 with Boosts, and you either will need the longer studs if you use the spacers, or have custom spacers made like I did, with deeper lug nut "wells". While I still can't screw the nuts flush with the studs, I can get at least 7 threads on there and have had no issues. I've since taken the truck to Death Valley on a 3-day trip, without any problems. The rims are on there to stay.

N.B. I will be swapping the lug nuts with the longer ones sometime soon for better peace of mind.
Defenderless, for now!
Old January 25th, 2015, 12:58 PM
defdad
Philip
1985 Defender 110 3.5 V8

I have an email in to EZaccessory because I'm not seeing a hub-centric [edit I meant wheel-centric] spacer listed for a Defender (just a Range Rover). Otherwise seller simonbbc on fleabay has a pair which he claims will fit, comes with OE lug nuts, and is the same price w/ shipping as EZaccessory.

Haven't done a stud swap before (that's what she said!) but looks like a little a penetrating spray and a ball peen will do the trick. Fingers crossed I won't have to go there...
Old January 25th, 2015, 01:47 PM
samer0214
Samer Hijazi
1997 P38 Vitesse

Registry
Wheel spacers? New rims? New ???

^^ What Jeff said. You don't need hubcentric rings, although the ones I had made had a little "lip" on them, on which the wheel would center.

Many on this board seem to like the spacers made by EZaccessory, my experience was different. I ordered a set from them on eBay, and they were well made, but they did not work on my '86, because they needed the longer studs. I returned them and ordered a set from www.motorsport-tech.com

Talk to Lenny the owner, nice guy, and will work with you with a lot of experience on Defenders. His were more expensive than the ones by EZaccessory, but IMO much better built, and worth every penny.
Defenderless, for now!
Old January 25th, 2015, 02:43 PM
kjva
Ken Jackson
1985 110 Wagon

I tried spacers from vendors in the US and UK and the nuts were too loose on the threads for my liking.
In the end I went with the H&R spacers made in Germany they were expensive but well worth it.
Old January 25th, 2015, 03:07 PM
defdad
Philip
1985 Defender 110 3.5 V8

Whoops, brain fart above. "Wheel-centric" is what I wasn't seeing at EZaccessories.

Maybe I'll take off a front & back rim and see what I'm working with. Then post a pic and see what you guys think. Not much history on the vehicle but from what I do know it looks to be an ex-mod from the Cypriot army. So OWTFO and YMMV seem to be common in my situation. Such a strange but amazing beast this one has been!
Old January 26th, 2015, 02:06 AM
RoverPaisa
Abel
1988 40th Anniv. RRC Chamonix White

Registry
Off topic but how did you get an '85 defender registered in CA?

IG

My Website:

Abel DLT

Los Angeles, CA

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, rims, wheel, wheel spacer