Wheel spacers? New rims? New ??? - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 26th, 2015, 02:19 AM
emah
Ed Mah
1993 NAS D110

Registry
John brings a good pt. that I am do not know if the studs are different lengths. I think that the length of the studs for your rig vs. the NAS 93 can be research and get your answer that way. I would error on the conservative side and say they are different size. Either way you go, be sure to use loctite before installing the spacers to the hub studs as per Roversnorth website.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 2nd, 2015, 03:50 PM
defdad
Philip
1985 Defender 110 3.5 V8

Just a little update on this one.

I received the EZAccessories spacers and took off the wheel. The issue doesn't seem to be the stud length (see below), the issue is that the wheel lip is no where close to fitting the Boost alloys. The diameter of that lip just seems to be too large.

I think my only choices are to find a spacer that specifically fits the Boost allows already or get someone to make a new set of custom spacers.

Hub:

Sufficient length on the studs, at least that part is ok...

Inside of the Boost alloys (you can see where the drive flange bolts are hitting the wheel):

Close but no cigar...
Old February 2nd, 2015, 04:04 PM
psykokid
Jake
1997 Disco

Since rover wheels are lug centric, not hub centric you could just cut raised lip in the center that is on the spacer and be done with it. It's just there for centering from the looks of it. Its as if the spacers are made for steel wheels instead of alloys. I'd touch base with the MFG and see what they have to say on the matter.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 3rd, 2015, 08:26 AM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Land Rover wheels are not hub-centric.

-Jeff
Yes and No. The alloy wheels rely on hub to center them. (hub-centric) Unlike a steel wheel which has a flange in the bolt hole, with a conical nut, to center the wheel on the studs. If you take a alloy wheel nut and put it into the alloy rim it does go all the way through, but falls short of contacting the hub. These alloy wheel lug nuts do not have the capability to center the wheel like the flange on the steel wheels lug holes .
The older trucks with the bigger flange only used steel wheels which were lug centric. The wheels were centered via the lugs. Thus using a star pattern to tighten up the wheels.
If I were going to put spacers on the older version hub with the intention of using a alloy Rover wheel I would make sure that the spacer is hub centric where the alloy bolts up. (Not necessarily where the spacer bolts up to the hub however)
Old February 3rd, 2015, 11:28 AM
LRover
J. Michael McCaig
D90 ST, LR110, Series IIa, RRC

I noticed that your studs are not stamped with a line across the end. I remember reading in the manual somewhere that some studs are not acceptable to be used with alloy wheels and, if I remember right, it was the non- stamped ones. Maybe someone else has more info but the stamped stud looks like the attached photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09669340.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	112670  
Old February 3rd, 2015, 09:33 PM
KGH
Real Name
#1-'13 110SW,#2-'87 127,#3-'12 LR4

Registry
Am I the only one who sees disadvantages to wheel spacers?
Old February 4th, 2015, 07:18 AM
Capt Milks
Mike

Spacers do put added stress on the hub bearings. Essentially you are moving the center-line out changing the geometry. How much does this effect anything with using a small spacer? probably not much. You are going to make more changes by adding different rims and larger tire. The problems I have seen using spacers is the spacer coming loose and not being hub centric when using a factory alloy. I have also seen people using the spacers and never having a problem.
Old February 23rd, 2016, 02:10 PM
RX6RCROL
Matthew Hedrick
1994 D-90 #646

Registry
Edit...just ordered a set from Lucky8. Thank you.

Which wheel spacers do I need to mount boost on my 1991 110?? Front Click image for larger version

Name:	image-447073471.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	438.3 KB
ID:	143214 Rear Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3683724491.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	454.9 KB
ID:	143223
Old February 23rd, 2016, 04:04 PM
Capt Milks
Mike

looks like the first you would need one and the second you would not.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, rims, wheel, wheel spacer