Wheel Sizes and Sources - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 14th, 2008, 01:22 PM
Hoosier
Chris Hinkle
More than I need

Wheel Sizes and Sources

Back a few years ago, I started using 15" wheels for some of my defenders (theory was that it was what the jeep guys used so it was available). I now have a collection of 15" wheels and tires and 16" wheels and tires. As I progress into my next project, what is everyone using now? 17" or 18"? Who are the suppliers? Used to be we could get wheels from SG, but no more. Suggestions? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 14th, 2008, 01:56 PM
Tim Scully
Tim Scully
95 D90 SW/ 95 RR LWB

Wheel and tire sizes have gone crazy over the past few years. What size tire are you running and what brand? There are so many different configurations of tire sizes you have lots of choices.

I got a set of MRW 16" beadlocks for mine. I got them at wholesale from one of my vendors and I think it was around $800 for four black steel beadlock wheels. I still have to get lug nuts but then they are going on. I have the same wheels on my Jeep and my FJ Cruiser but they are on 15". I really like them because they aren't your typical weld on beadlock kit. They do take a DOT wheel and weld the rings on but they go the extra mile to bend the lips of the outer ring to accept and align the bead of the tire. They also use grade 8 bolts instead of the cheap stuff.
Old January 15th, 2008, 07:36 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

I've had good luck with a set of Marsh Racing Wheels (MRW). 15"
Advertisement

Old January 15th, 2008, 09:24 PM
Hoosier
Chris Hinkle
More than I need

What width and offset did you get? Thanksl.
Old January 15th, 2008, 10:34 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Scully
Wheel and tire sizes have gone crazy over the past few years. What size tire are you running and what brand? There are so many different configurations of tire sizes you have lots of choices.

I got a set of MRW 16" beadlocks for mine. I got them at wholesale from one of my vendors and I think it was around $800 for four black steel beadlock wheels. I still have to get lug nuts but then they are going on. I have the same wheels on my Jeep and my FJ Cruiser but they are on 15". I really like them because they aren't your typical weld on beadlock kit. They do take a DOT wheel and weld the rings on but they go the extra mile to bend the lips of the outer ring to accept and align the bead of the tire. They also use grade 8 bolts instead of the cheap stuff.
They make DIY weld on kits with the same lip, just way cheaper. And you usually source your own bolts anyway.

Back to the question at hand, unless you are going with a 37in tire or more, keep the 15in wheels. They may not be bling, but they do the best job with the smaller tires. Actually, I think they do very well even on bigger rubber.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old January 15th, 2008, 11:37 PM
huck1974
shane cates
94 d90

running 15s still and the price is right on tires. Advantage to a bigger wheel?
And I love you too
Old January 16th, 2008, 10:58 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by huck1974
running 15s still and the price is right on tires. Advantage to a bigger wheel?
Side flex for stability in off camber is better with larger wheels. But it's not a problem at all with a 35" tire and 15's. It's not really even a problem on 37's but starts to get noticeable at 40-42" tires and a 15in wheel. That said, I run a 15in wheel on 40's and I am totally happy. The side flex is noticable, but it doesn't bother me, especially since I am not afraid to dump my rig.

The big disadvantage's to a bigger wheel are weight, rim damage, and cost.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old January 17th, 2008, 01:27 PM
Tim Scully
Tim Scully
95 D90 SW/ 95 RR LWB

[QUOTE=Buckon37s]They make DIY weld on kits with the same lip, just way cheaper. And you usually source your own bolts anyway. [QUOTE]

I have seen those weld on kits for about $300.00, but by the time you buy steel wheels $300, hardware and weld them together you have the same money in them IMO.
Old January 18th, 2008, 12:46 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

[QUOTE=Tim Scully][QUOTE=Buckon37s]They make DIY weld on kits with the same lip, just way cheaper. And you usually source your own bolts anyway.
Quote:

I have seen those weld on kits for about $300.00, but by the time you buy steel wheels $300, hardware and weld them together you have the same money in them IMO.
$640 < $800. And you can get the kits for $50 a tire and the rims for $50 a wheel. Add $40 worth of hardware and $440 << $800.

But, don't think I am bagging on your buy at all. It is a lot of work to weld these things on. And, easy to do it wrong. It may well be worth the extra cash to have it, and have it right.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old January 18th, 2008, 08:03 AM
Hoosier
Chris Hinkle
More than I need

So it appears everyone is staying with 15" or 16" and either stock wheels or beadlocks. Right now I have 15" beadlocks on the Tomcat with 37" tires. The 110 doublecab has stock 16" wheels with 33" tires (these particular wheels were choosen because they came with the doublecab when it was introduced). Anyway, both require spacers? My 90 G4 tdi has some old (and cheap) 15" steel wheels with 33" tires - haven't decided whether or not to put 35" tires on it yet and haven't ramped it yet. Then there is the next project --- Anyway, I was hoping there were more manufactures of wheels for our vehicle than in the past - appears there are fewer
Old January 18th, 2008, 08:40 AM
WhiteD90
Johnathan Tisdale
93 110, 90 RockRR buggy

Chris-

As you know from your past innovative experiences, you have to seek out manufacterers to make a 5 on 6.5 bolt pattern. Many will do it, I have some 17" Walker Evans beadlocks and they had to get all the measurements from me originally to make a set. Many of the sweet wheel manufacterers the rock racers/pro crawlers are running will do the same thing. That said As Buck noted it depends on what size tire you run, stiffness of sidewall, and what your expectations are. Buck has tall tires with stiff sidewalls, I have 37's like you and sidewall roll/flex is an issue at 3psi with Krawlers.

You asked for wheel options originally, so I'd say unless you have a need for a beadlock, want to run a tall tire, or just want a cool wheel just use what you have given it sounds like you have options lying around. I think I read where the new BFG comes in a size close to a 37 that you could run on a stock alloy...I think that would look pretty cool, and the stock alloys have a nice lip on them for holding a bead fairly well.

my .02
Old January 18th, 2008, 09:05 AM
Hoosier
Chris Hinkle
More than I need

Other issue I have noted with 15" wheels and 35" or 37" tires is that balancing can be an issue. With 17" or 18", I would expect less problems - plus the wheel/tire combination would be lighter. In the old days, getting a manufacturer to do special bolt sizes required a minimum purchase of twenty or fifty - don't really want to do that anymore
Old January 18th, 2008, 10:02 AM
Cirbo
Jim C.
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteD90
Chris-

I think I read where the new BFG comes in a size close to a 37 that you could run on a stock alloy...I think that would look pretty cool, and the stock alloys have a nice lip on them for holding a bead fairly well.

my .02
Interesting. Where did you read this?

jC
Old January 18th, 2008, 07:03 PM
huck1974
shane cates
94 d90

Had no balancing issues and required no spacers with 35s on 15s. If you have balancing issues, I would try internal weights like the big rigs use. You can order them from the tire shop.
And I love you too
Old January 19th, 2008, 08:40 AM
Hoosier
Chris Hinkle
More than I need

When looking over the Scorpion site yesterday, I noticed a product that I had not seen before. It is ceramic spheres - hi density - that you insert inside the tire. They roll around and dynamically balance the tire. You use different weight (number of spheres) depending on the size tire. Anyone familiar with this approach?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
wheel