Wheel Ratings - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 17th, 2008, 08:56 AM
nickt
Nick Taylor
1998 Ex-Camel Trophy 110

Registry
Wheel Ratings

Hi,
Does anyone have wheel load ratings for the following:

STL72148U45: Disco Steel Wheels
ANR5593 / ANR4583: Nato Steel (Wolf) Wheels - different P/N for tubed and tubeless.

By way of background, I'm wanting to slightly increase the track on my CT 110, and am already running the Disco steel wheels. I like the ZU rims with a 1400kg load rating, but I'm not sure of the other wheel ratings for comparison.

Google didn't help. I thought I had this info filed away somewhere, I probably do but I've no idea where it is...

Cheers,
Nick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 17th, 2008, 11:33 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickt
Hi,
Does anyone have wheel load ratings for the following:

STL72148U45: Disco Steel Wheels
ANR5593 / ANR4583: Nato Steel (Wolf) Wheels - different P/N for tubed and tubeless.

By way of background, I'm wanting to slightly increase the track on my CT 110, and am already running the Disco steel wheels. I like the ZU rims with a 1400kg load rating, but I'm not sure of the other wheel ratings for comparison.

Google didn't help. I thought I had this info filed away somewhere, I probably do but I've no idea where it is...

Cheers,
Nick.
I don't understand what you are after. The wheel rating is not going to give you any useful indication of how durable a wheel is. That is unless your 110 weighs significantly over 12000 LB and you run D rated load tires.

I am guessing what you are after is impact durability. I have no experience with them but there is a tread over on pirate about how they break on the welds and bend. But like I said, I have no experience with them so can't say for sure.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old February 17th, 2008, 03:07 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Buck - where would those ZU wheels be welded? They look like cast 1-pc alloys on the website. Or are you thinking the Mach 5's?

Both the Mach 5's and ZU's look really nice. Any idea of the price of either of them? I'd also be interested what the Mach 5's weigh - the ZU site list their weight at about 23 lbs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 18th, 2008, 06:59 AM
nickt
Nick Taylor
1998 Ex-Camel Trophy 110

Registry
Hi Buck,
The wheel ratings should show me what the manufacturers specs are for a particular wheel, so it's not durability it's more about safety. I want to ensure I'm within spec, it's an expedition truck after all.

So, as I know the Wolf wheels are rated highly enough to take a squaddies beating, if I can find the official specification I can make a judgement on weather the ZU Alloys will meet my needs.

The Wolf wheels are only 6.5" wide, the ZU wheels are 7" wide which gives me a wider selection of tires to choose from.

My understanding is that they're a single cast wheel, and are stronger and lighter than the Mach 5 steel wheels, as well as meeting the stringent TüV ratings.

Can't find the Pirate thread...

Cheers,
Nick.
Old February 19th, 2008, 12:58 PM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe
Defender/Disco/Series/MoD

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickt
Considering these are used on the Wolf 110's, which are commonly loaded and stressed a lot more than you're likely to, I doubt you'd have any issues with them.

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic
Old February 20th, 2008, 08:21 PM
nickt
Nick Taylor
1998 Ex-Camel Trophy 110

Registry
Thanks for your help lads.

Just to close the loop, I also posted to the HUBB, from which I gleaned the following info (also by way of this thread that dieseljim posted on the lr4x4 forums:

The original steel wheels, NTC5193, are rated at 1650kg.
The Wolf/XD wheels are rated at a quite staggering 2200kg.

Obviously, they are both over the 1400kg that the ZU alloys support.

I'm leaning towards Wolf wheels (again, I already have sets for both my 90s), but with spacers. Nothing wrong with a bit of a safety margin eh? I'm actually a Chartered Engineer, maybe I should see if I can upgrade to a Chartered Overengineer...

Cheers,
Nick.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
wheel