Wheel Question - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 12th, 2013, 11:49 PM
K9Phil
Phil
1994 D-90 #1184

Wheel Question

What's a better off-road wheel, steel or alloy? A tire installer recently told me he thought an alloy wheel was a better choice because it would have some flex compared to a steel wheel. Opinions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 13th, 2013, 12:16 AM
fishEH
Brett Fritzler
94, 95, 96 D1's

The stock alloys hold a bead surprisingly well, better than steel. They're also lighter. But the alloy could crack rendering the wheel useless.

Steel weighs more and doesn't hold the bead as well as the stock alloy. They are more prone to bending than an alloy is to breaking, though the wheel can usually be pounded round again in the field. Steel wheels are also the only choice if you want to go with a 15" or 17" wheel/tire combo.
Old February 13th, 2013, 12:26 AM
RoversNorth
RN
2012 Land Rover Defender
D-90 Source Vendor

The stock alloy holds a bead too well. Getting KM2s off was a pain.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1319 Vt Rt 128, Westford, VT 05494
Please message me with any questions you have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 13th, 2013, 12:29 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Both comments good for LR parts

Have seen aftermarket wheels struggle off road to keep the tire inflated at low pressure

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old February 13th, 2013, 01:43 AM
Jake1996d1
Jake
96 Disco/88 RRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishEH View Post
The stock alloys hold a bead surprisingly well, better than steel. They're also lighter. But the alloy could crack rendering the wheel useless.

Steel weighs more and doesn't hold the bead as well as the stock alloy. They are more prone to bending than an alloy is to breaking, though the wheel can usually be pounded round again in the field. Steel wheels are also the only choice if you want to go with a 15" or 17" wheel/tire combo.
I'd be interested to weigh an alloy rim vs a steel rim because steel rims seem to have less material than most rover alloys. I bet it would be a wash. They do hold a bead a lot better though. If I buy any other wheels it will be blinging alloy bead locks
Old February 13th, 2013, 04:51 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake1996d1 View Post

I'd be interested to weigh an alloy rim vs a steel rim because steel rims seem to have less material than most rover alloys. I bet it would be a wash. They do hold a bead a lot better though. If I buy any other wheels it will be blinging alloy bead locks
I have both and the boost alloy wheels w/ KM2's are certainly easier to lift than the Steel 110 ANR1534 wheels with KM1's - also in 285/75
Old February 13th, 2013, 09:42 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake1996d1 View Post
The LR Alloys are a bunch lighter.

Here's what I've compiled from personal weighing and finding stuff on the internets:

Nato - 33lbs
LR Steel (Disco Spare) - 31lbs
ProComp - 30lbs
TF Alloys - 31lbs
TF Steel - 27lbs
LR Alloys - 23lbs

But your point is right with the TF stuff. I don't have marked if that is with or without the beadlocks on the TF alloys.

And if you factor steel lug nuts vs alloy then it might be a little closer.

And technically you would have to add the weight of spacers to the equation. I know it's not outside rotational mass but they do add weight to each corner.

Tire weight can vary too - my 35" MTR/K/Disco Steelies are just a little lighter than the 285 SSR/Wolfs I had prior.

------ Follow up post added February 13th, 2013 09:46 AM ------

To the OP question what is better alloy or steel. I think the LR alloys are pretty beef and you can get them cheap too. I run steel as I like having the axle shafts exposed and I like that the steel will bend vs alloy probably cracking. And I would be lying if I didn't say I like the looks of steel wheels better.

I would love a 7.5" wide Wolf - it's offset is spot on but the 6.5 is just a bit too narrow for anything over 255.
Old February 13th, 2013, 12:44 PM
Jake1996d1
Jake
96 Disco/88 RRC

Cool thanks for the info Don! My bead locks aren't light but they were cheap comparatively
Old February 13th, 2013, 03:03 PM
K9Phil
Phil
1994 D-90 #1184

I appreciate all the feedback, thanks!
Old February 13th, 2013, 03:13 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9Phil View Post
What's a better off-road wheel, steel or alloy? A tire installer recently told me he thought an alloy wheel was a better choice because it would have some flex compared to a steel wheel. Opinions?
I'd be scared if your alloy was to flex because alloy is brittle and would crack before it would flex. Steel flexes more as a metal, but in all I wouldn't want my wheels to flex much at all off road.

The LR alloys hold the bead extremely as said before. I have mounted tires on both steel and alloys and they are tough as hell to get on.

if your alloy cracks bad off road, you better have a spare. If your steel bends off road you better have a hammer. They are both great, but in extreme (in the middle of nowhere) situations a steel might be an advantage because you can repair them.
1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
wheel