wheel nut question - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 14th, 2013, 03:40 PM
CaptMidnite
Daniel Choi
94 NAS Defender 90 ST

wheel nut question

Previous owner of my 94 ST had mismatching wheel nuts on the wheels, so I went to a u-pull-it and found some Discovery I wheel nuts for about 75 cents each. I recall D1/D90 wheel nuts are compatible but they seem to be oddly off. The Discovery nuts fit a 1 1/8" wrench perfectly, while the nuts from my Defender fit loosely on a 1 1/8" wrench. On the other hand, the D90 nuts fit the factory lug wrench while the D1 nuts seem a tad too big. I thought of pounding the slightly too big D1 nuts into the factory wrench socket to make them fit. Or should I just upgrade completely to aftermarket lug nuts. Suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0250.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	77639  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 14th, 2013, 03:45 PM
javelinadave
-
-

The threads/stud are the same but factory and aftermarket lug nuts may require different tools to remove them.
If it was me I would find 23 of the same dimension lug nuts, either factory or aftermarket.
Old August 14th, 2013, 03:50 PM
fishEH
Brett Fritzler
94, 95, 96 D1's

Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave View Post
The threads/stud are the same but factory and aftermarket lug nuts may require different tools to remove them.
If it was me I would find 23 of the same dimension lug nuts, either factory or aftermarket.
Well, there's that. Then there's also the fact that the capped Rover capped lug nuts suck ass and deform, thereby requiring a larger socket.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 14th, 2013, 03:57 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMidnite View Post
Previous owner of my 94 ST had mismatching wheel nuts on the wheels, so I went to a u-pull-it and found some Discovery I wheel nuts for about 75 cents each. I recall D1/D90 wheel nuts are compatible but they seem to be oddly off. The Discovery nuts fit a 1 1/8" wrench perfectly, while the nuts from my Defender fit loosely on a 1 1/8" wrench. On the other hand, the D90 nuts fit the factory lug wrench while the D1 nuts seem a tad too big. I thought of pounding the slightly too big D1 nuts into the factory wrench socket to make them fit. Or should I just upgrade completely to aftermarket lug nuts. Suggestions?
I can't remember - are the lug nuts 28 mm? First you want to have the correct sized wrench. They should be Metric, not SAE.

They are probably all the same lug nuts, but because they're capped (they suck) one has deformed more than the other. If you pound the too big one into a socket, you'll have to pound it back out which will just leave a huge dimple in the middle of your nuts. And they still won't be fixed.

Get some RRC steel (non-capped) lug nuts like these:
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=45870

and leave them as-is, or like I did:
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=46414

and you'll be better off. I've almost been left stranded with the capped lug nuts when they wouldn't come off of one wheel, so I'll never put those on ever again.
Old August 14th, 2013, 04:26 PM
CaptMidnite
Daniel Choi
94 NAS Defender 90 ST

thanks . . .

The capped nuts were probably deformed in some way. Visually, the nuts from the D1 look exactly the same as the Defender ones . . . just a hair off in sizing.
Old August 14th, 2013, 06:00 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Just get a breaker bar and a six point 1 1/8in socket and it works fine for swelled nuts.
Old August 14th, 2013, 06:38 PM
GaryBaxter
Gary Baxter
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
Just get a breaker bar and a six point 1 1/8in socket and it works fine for swelled nuts.
That's what she said.
Old August 14th, 2013, 07:52 PM
CaptMidnite
Daniel Choi
94 NAS Defender 90 ST

thanks for the tips

Thanks for the input everyone. I was basically looking for a solution that would give me one wheel nut size/one tire wrench size for the whole vehicle at reasonable cost. Either I'll have to carry two sets of tire wrenches or keep hunting for decent M16 x 1.5 nuts.
Old August 14th, 2013, 08:23 PM
Brewie212
Brian Kandefer
1957 107 wagon, 94 arles St, 101 FC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
The solid RRC nuts alleviate this issue.

-Jeff
Haha, yours are on the way! Should be there tomorrow!!
Old August 14th, 2013, 08:40 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Agreed, no physical difference besides the fact that someone used an impact to break tension, or used the incorrect sized wrench.
Old August 14th, 2013, 08:44 PM
evilfij
evilfij

1 1/8th works on normal ones too. They all suck other than, as Briggs says, the all steel RRC ones, but you should not use those on steel spares.
Old August 14th, 2013, 10:02 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post

No longer 'Ron good?'

-Jeff
Ron good sure. I did it forever. Not safe for general use.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
wheel