What's up with the Slop in the Drivetrain? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 7th, 2005, 02:28 PM
spencer08291985
Tim/Spencer

What is up with the slop in the drive terrain?

Hello, my name is Tim Spencer from Michigan, I own a 1997 D-90, 49,000 mile. There seems to be a lot of "slop" in the driveterrain, especially upon slowing down, then speeding up. Is this normal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 7th, 2005, 03:26 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
sure. Rovers are known for having slack in thier transmissions. Perhaps you could check your u-joints etc.
Old February 7th, 2005, 03:58 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

In an effort to split out the thread, I think I killed the earlier post. Sorry gang.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 7th, 2005, 04:22 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

I have the same issue with mine as well, and have never been able to track it down fully. It seems to be coming from the front, possibly the bellhousing area. New u-joints didn't solve it, considering front axle CV's. It may also be the shock absorbing springs (the coil springs in the disk, not the flower spring on the pressure plate) aren't strong enough and they are bottoming out?

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old February 7th, 2005, 04:26 PM
arbik
Arbi Karapetian
1995 D-90 SW #163/500

I read in the latest issue of LRW that some of the "noise" that is accredited to the driveline is caused by the triangle bushings being too old and rotted.

since I dont know anything about rovers..I'm just passing on the info I read in the magazine...
by the way...my 95 has that slop too.

-arbi
Old February 7th, 2005, 04:47 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Hmmm, now I just have to figure out what Land Rover calls a "triangle" bushing so I can inspect it. But it does make sense, it might be a suspension bonk rather than a driveline bonk.

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old February 7th, 2005, 05:47 PM
arbik
Arbi Karapetian
1995 D-90 SW #163/500

Hans,

I"ll look it up tonight and post it.
-arbi
Old February 7th, 2005, 11:00 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

I got it bad. It is huge when in locked high with the front end unlocked. If I let off the gas fully in first after getting rolling it chuncks and pops and clanks. It is annoying. To me it feels like slop in the t-case. I remember others complaining about it so I just figured it was normal. All my u-joints are new, and I have new bushings. It might just be the truck.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old February 8th, 2005, 12:39 AM
arbik
Arbi Karapetian
1995 D-90 SW #163/500

ok,
just checked the magazine. Its the January Issue of LRW. Its the Rear Radius arm bushings they call "triangle" bush.

Hope this helps.

-arbi
Old February 8th, 2005, 07:36 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

I agree with Dave, The T-case is the biggest part of the problem. There is slop between the front and rear outputs. I have driven both i front only and rear only and the problem goes away with only 1 drive shaft. And it is not because they are old, when I replaced mine it did the same thing. Auto trannys don't have as much of a problem as they are a bit smother in operation, but if you drive it enough you will get better at not making it do it.
Old February 9th, 2005, 06:35 AM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

I think all Rovers have more slack in the drivetrain than most other vehicles, all the way from the input of the transmission to the drive flanges.
Old February 10th, 2005, 01:37 AM
arbik
Arbi Karapetian
1995 D-90 SW #163/500

Guys,

Just got back from driving my buddy's "new to him" D90 SW. #451/500 1995 with the manual gearbox.
This truck has 72K miles on her, and there is NO slop in the driveline. NONE WHAT SO EVER.
Mine on the other hand, with 112K on it (same year and model) has TONS of slop.
How does that work out?

Obviously, they "all dont do that" as the dealer told me yesterday morning. So..its something.
I'm probalby going to redo the whole truck one piece at a time...but it'd help to know where this slop comes in most ...

Just an observation...

-arbi
Old February 10th, 2005, 09:49 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Good luck getting rid of your slop. Although, if you are handy with setting up diffs, you can first take those apart and reduce the backlash as much as possible before they start making a bunch of whining noise and be sure to check the inner teeth that mesh with your axles for wear--you will undoubtably need to replace your axles since the splines probably have some wear, also check your hub splines for wear, your u-joints, your transfer case gears, your entire transmission. When you are done with that, check your suspension mounts. Or do in whatever order you want. When you are done with all this, and your back lash is at a reasonable level, I will bet you will have some whining going on that will make all this seem like it was not worth it.

I know you drove one without slop--and good for them!, but it is not factory spec. and I would say they are just the 1%'ers.
Old February 10th, 2005, 12:57 PM
arbik
Arbi Karapetian
1995 D-90 SW #163/500

...looks like I need to learn to live with slop
Old February 10th, 2005, 01:13 PM
RyanS
Ryan
'93 NAS 110

It would be interesting to check out the "No Slop" truck. Out of maybe half a dozen transfer cases I've seen (which includes a freshly rebuilt one from Ashcroft and a relatively new one out of a Disco), all of them have had a lot of slop in them. Add to that everything else in the drivetrain everyone has already mentioned, and the overall drivetrain slop is fairly signficant even in a fresh build. It's kinda funny to say, but I wonder if there's something "wrong" with the "No Slop" truck.
Old February 10th, 2005, 05:01 PM
arbik
Arbi Karapetian
1995 D-90 SW #163/500

Nothing that I could feel. Ran and drove like a champ.
He'll be at the RR5 in April for show and tell
As will my "slop galore" D90

-arbi
Old February 10th, 2005, 08:00 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Real men have slop.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old February 10th, 2005, 08:32 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
no, real men wear kilts
Old February 10th, 2005, 09:45 PM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

Slop is fun. What else can you drive that offers such a challenge??

Locked in low range and crawling on a rocky trail, my 110 sometimes is like a damn bucking bronco!! Who needs a horse??? 8-0

DW
Old February 11th, 2005, 08:38 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
yeah when I am locked and moving at a snail pace over rocks etc I get worried about something being fubar'ed, makes noises that sometimes are un reassuring.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions