What's up with the Slop in the Drivetrain? - Page 4 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 12th, 2015, 03:51 PM
DefenderMd
Ben
87 defender 110 3 door

Registry
Roar from the rear... My experience in that has been transmission of noise from a disintegrating wheel bearing and broken spider and ring gear teeth. The latter is a very easy diagnosis once you open the diff. I was pulling teeth out the drain hole. Howl/roar.

Pinion bearing also makes a similar noise i'm told. As does bad lash and depth-which can be cause by the bearing too. If it doesn't go away when you put in your old diff.. you are down to one part probably.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 12th, 2015, 04:03 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefenderMd View Post
Roar from the rear... My experience in that has been transmission of noise from a disintegrating wheel bearing and broken spider and ring gear teeth. The latter is a very easy diagnosis once you open the diff. I was pulling teeth out the drain hole. Howl/roar.

Pinion bearing also makes a similar noise i'm told. As does bad lash and depth-which can be cause by the bearing too. If it doesn't go away when you put in your old diff.. you are down to one part probably.
We're on the same page.
Old June 14th, 2015, 04:53 PM
Etienne
Etienne
Tdi 2500 diesel Defender 1985

Registry
From my little bit of experience -A noise in the diff ( when other possibilities have been eliminated) normally indicates ether of two cases - diff worn out or diff running on crown and pinion being forced together. The pinion and crown gears are so finely machined ( always a matched pair - never replace individually) that to measure the gap between the two sets of gears you have to be a good machinist.These gears are capable of rotating together with almost no play detectable by hand (but they are match machined with exceptionally fine play) . A diff whining on clutch pedal let off normally indicates a tight diff (gears touching both sides of the valley 100% of the time).Diff noise also be due to the the bearings on the sides of the crown being adjusted somewhere too tight, or shifting onto the side of the crown wheel forcing it onto the pinion gear. The side shaft teeth in the hub side even if slightly worn gives you slop. the teeth in the diff don't go that quick. The crown wheel when you inspect it should have no shiny areas on the teeth like freshly machined metal. The pinion again would by shiny. Slop and noise can be found by drive shaft flange disconnection, the diff inspection cover at the back off, both back wheels off the ground and a buddy slowly rotating the pinion back and forth. Also push the pinion flange hard to either side and push and pull to feel for play. The least bit of play here is bad. Unfortunately you have to remove all bearings in the system to check each one to eliminate noise from all bearings as well. Play in the planetary system means replacing the thrust washers but beyond that you have to replace it complete as it cannot be adjusted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 16th, 2015, 07:07 AM
1of40
1of40

Registry
Well, SHIT, after subbing a known good diff no change in the deep loose rumbling noise I have when rolling at low speed.

Moving on-

When I started noticing this rumbling sound it was when I was rolling slowly and just after taking a slow turn. The first time I heard it was when I turned into my neighborhood or backing out of my garage. As I would slowly accelerate from
a turn I would notice a faint rumble and as I accelerated it went away. Eventually it got to this point where even after backing out of the driveway and rolling slowly down my street the rumbling is there so I stopped driving it and started trouble shooting.

Ive been assuming the noise after a turn was a reflection of bad rear diff given I had a detroit locker back there.

Does a 230 tcase act differently in turns?

I have had problems with the center diff not engaging smoothly and effortlessly but I assumed that was a whole different drama event for another nice day.

Thoughts?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old June 16th, 2015, 08:04 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
remove rear ds and replace front ds, lock center diff and repeat test?
Old June 16th, 2015, 08:10 AM
1of40
1of40

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
remove rear ds and replace front ds, lock center diff and repeat test?
Yep, I agree. My guess is if it is the Trans or tcase the sound will still be present.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old June 16th, 2015, 08:59 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Have you ruled out the rear wheel bearings? Cheap and easy to replace. Compare sides by miking the hubs. Ducktape an iPhone to the axle housing next to the hub, hit record, and drive around the block. Swap sides, and repeat.
Old June 16th, 2015, 09:17 AM
1of40
1of40

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
Have you ruled out the rear wheel bearings? Cheap and easy to replace.
I don't think well enough. I had a leak at the axle on the drivers side so the first thing I did was replace the seals and bearings on that side. Checked for play on the passenger side and regretfully now didn't replace. The noise is so convincingly low pitched that I then jumped to the wrong conclusion it was the diff.

Lav asked me the same thing this morning. He's seen a loose bearing cause the rotor to bang around against the caliper. I can imagine that bumping around would result in a low pitched, non-grinding sound and be noticeable on slow rolling turns primarily while under load/on the road.
Old June 16th, 2015, 09:24 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Sounds like a project for HH this week.
Old June 16th, 2015, 09:25 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
One thing I will say....if it's a bearing then it seems unlikely to me that the sound would go away as you speed up.

Virtually all bearing noises will be more noticeable as speed increases.

My uneducated guess is that it's rear driveshaft related. Perhaps a UJ. Perhaps rear brake drum related.
Old June 16th, 2015, 09:40 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
One thing I will say....if it's a bearing then it seems unlikely to me that the sound would go away as you speed up.

Virtually all bearing noises will be more noticeable as speed increases.

My uneducated guess is that it's rear driveshaft related. Perhaps a UJ. Perhaps rear brake drum related.
NAS, no rear drums. Thinking we've all experienced different wheel bearing issues. Some initially grind at low speed under a lateral load from one side (e.g., L turn but not R), some wobble at >115mph with no noise, some appear to work fine even though the packed grease blew out with the telltale black star on the rim, some continue to grind with increasing speeds yet can not be heard over the KM2s, etc.
Clay - also check the temperature of both hubs for symmetry after driving for a while.
Old June 16th, 2015, 10:16 AM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
I am with Ed...if it was wheel hub related then at speed it would be more pronounced - right? and not to mention the wheel could be moved back and forth if you put it up on a jack i.e. wobbly wheel.

I am gonna go with Driveshaft....with lifted vehicles, larger tires and all that we put a lot of stress on the ujoints, cv's and driveshafts on these vehicles.
Old June 16th, 2015, 10:29 AM
1of40
1of40

Registry
Can't do HH this week unfortunately and I'm a little afraid to put this on the road at any speed right now.

Going to do the rear passenger side bearings next. Next maybe pull the rear shaft and reinstall the front.

------ Follow up post added June 16th, 2015 10:39 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
I am with Ed...if it was wheel hub related then at speed it would be more pronounced - right? and not to mention the wheel could be moved back and forth if you put it up on a jack i.e. wobbly wheel.

I am gonna go with Driveshaft....with lifted vehicles, larger tires and all that we put a lot of stress on the ujoints, cv's and driveshafts on these vehicles.
I actually read a post on another forum where a guy experienced what it sounds like I've got going on as well. His was a loose wheel bearing.

I agree the DS could easily be the culprit. When I had the rear shaft out I only detected a very slight bit of play. Shaft is 1 year old, not that that means shit in these trucks.

Just weird to me that the noises were only at slow roll turns into my neighborhood. Even now I have to turn the vehicle a bit sometimes to replicate the rumble. If I just roll forward and back in a straight line it sometimes won't happen.
Old June 16th, 2015, 12:29 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
NAS, no rear drums.
Thanks for catching that, Russ. I meant parking brake drum (stupid me!)
Old June 16th, 2015, 07:08 PM
1of40
1of40

Registry
Well, Lav nailed it today. He drove an hour out to help do some trouble shooting. After driving it around and hearing what sounded like it was in the rear the culprit was a loose front bearing. Even the flange bolts were loose. Pretty embarrassing that I didn't look/check all the way around. Lesson learned. Thanks Lav!

Old June 17th, 2015, 08:32 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
nice job!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions