What's up with the Slop in the Drivetrain? - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 11th, 2005, 10:02 AM
mrmuddy
John Cranfield
1989 90

Since the lt230 is a gear drive Tcase there will inherently be some slop which is why the RR went with a chain type as do many other 4x4s.
a certain amount of slop isn't bad and in terms of nasty noises you ain't heard nothin like a chain Tcase when the chain slips, enough to make a good gearhead puke.
Other places to look for slop... drive shaft slip joints, ujoint every where, diffs and axleshaft splines. Suspension bushings particularly if the steering feels a bit wandery.
early 5 speeds had a wear problem in the tcase input shaft sleeve.

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 11th, 2005, 11:51 AM
cbass
Bradlee Duncan
'94 White and '95 Red D's

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4
no, real men wear kilts
well put

MrMuddy,
Where can I find out more info on the tcase input sleeve slop. I have an eary d-90 #787 and I wonder if there's an easy fix for that?
Old February 11th, 2005, 12:56 PM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

There is a drill you can do with a manual to check input shaft slop. raise one tire so it can spin. Chock the car so it won't roll. Put in 4th gear. release hand brake. You can then twist the hand brake drum and the amount of play is the wear on your input shaft splines. While you're there, you can change things around, like put the tcase and tranny in neutral and twist the driveshafts to see the play in each diff/axle (drop the tire first of course).

Doug W.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 11th, 2005, 01:36 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Good advise. This doesn't really help the problem but I am almost sure that the slop is in the t-case. I have 9in front and rear axles, no CV's, no rear bushings, new driveshafts, new clutch. A TDi, doesn't really matter but at least different than the V8. The slop is still there with everything new. In fact, the only part of the entire drivetrain that I still have, that I used to have, is a lt230. So I am guessing that this is something that we all have to deal with. Especially since the lt is the only great thing about the LR powertrain, as far as beef. The strange thing is that I do not get the hpping you guys described in 4 lock with the front hubs engaged. At any rate, its fun clunking around.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old February 12th, 2005, 09:44 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
what transmission are you using?
Old February 12th, 2005, 12:25 PM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

Nursing along an LT77 with 106K miles, here.
Old February 12th, 2005, 04:36 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

R380 now, was an LT77

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old February 17th, 2005, 04:27 AM
swappyd
Dave Swap
1992 Defender 90 200TDi

If you can totally remove the slop let Land rover know!

I have driven "fresh from the factory" so fresh they where still in Lode Lane!! LR's and they a all do it.

To check where it is coming from park on a flat surface with the transmission brake on and roll it by hand! That will tell you how much is in the drive train from the Tranasfer box to the wheels.

I'm not too sure how you could check the slop in the transfer box with an Auto as My 90 is manual.

Just remember there is a lot of cogs and joints between the the fly wheel and the ground so tollerance gaps etc stack up to a fair bit!

Have fun!!
Old February 17th, 2005, 12:33 PM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

You can also remove the PTO cover on the tcase and inspect the input splines. On the 110 case the gear is too big to slide out, but I've read that the 90 top gear can slide off, so you can actually closely check the wear on the shaft and gear. Steve Parker in the UK makes a splash collector (they call it an oil feeder) that will drive lube to the splines, so he claims. I've installed it -- can't tell you if it works yet and probably won't know for another year -- and it seemed to me to make sense the way it was configured. It's merely a 1" or so wide half pipe that sticks in the space left at the end of the input shaft inside the top gear. Oil splashing on the PTO cover gets collected by the pipe and dropped onto the inside of the top gear and should easily work its way back to the splines from there.

Doug W

Doug W.
Old February 21st, 2005, 09:30 PM
whistler110
Mike Johnstone
ex-mod 110

I'm guessing there are many things in the driveline that can create slop, but the one I find most of the time is the input gear of the transfer case. This was a problem in earlier LT230's that did not have the cross drilled input gear, the output shaft on the transmission wears out because of no oil. Mine has this problem now, if I leave my truck in gear not running you can rock it back and forth quite a bit. If I apply the transmission brake it doesn't rock as much. Ashcroft makes a kit to install the cross drilled input gear and that stops it from getting worse but a new output shaft will be required to get rid of the amount of slop I have.
Old June 4th, 2005, 04:08 PM
cbass
Bradlee Duncan

Anybody ever rebuilt a t-case before? I finally got the axles assemblies off of the truck and moved over to the new frame. When I did that, I could grab the e-brake drum and the front driveshaft flange on the t-case and twist either one about 1/4 of a rotation before the other one starts turning. In my situation, if I could get rid of half of that play just in the t-case, it would make a huge difference for my "clunking" issues.

Anybody have tips for rebuilding? I already have the t-case out, so it'd be easier than ever before to do it now.
Old June 5th, 2005, 08:21 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

No tips really but when I got my rebuilt one it did the same thing, I think they are all like that.
Old June 5th, 2005, 11:18 PM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hippert
I think they are all like that.
I believe this is now officially the universal answer to a Defender question.
Old June 6th, 2005, 12:43 AM
cbass
Bradlee Duncan

haha, ok, I give in then, lol!
Old May 11th, 2009, 02:15 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
When did they get the updated input? late 94's or 95's or was it not untill the 97's
Old May 11th, 2009, 04:22 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

I'm glad you brought this to the top again because I have more info about it. I have been meaning to post but I didn't want to look for the thread!

I recently replaced my axles again. But I went to the same 9in so I don't think that has any affect on this. I did go to a racing fluid in the diffs that might have some affect. It suppresses shock, and seems to do a good job. Also, no more radius arms, which could affect this also.

Anyway, before KOH, Eddie at West Coast Rovers swapped my T-case to a 1.2 from a D2. The case is the lt230Q. The q is supposed to stand for "Quiet". At least thats the rumor. Well, the slop is gone. At least, as gone as I can tell. I don't really drive on the street. I do know that it is much reduced for sure compared to what it used to be like. So, I think I was right about the t-case being the issue, and there seems to be a way to reduce the slop as well.

Cheers, Buck

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old May 11th, 2009, 04:56 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
I'm glad you brought this to the top again because I have more info about it. I have been meaning to post but I didn't want to look for the thread!

I recently replaced my axles again. But I went to the same 9in so I don't think that has any affect on this. I did go to a racing fluid in the diffs that might have some affect. It suppresses shock, and seems to do a good job. Also, no more radius arms, which could affect this also.

Anyway, before KOH, Eddie at West Coast Rovers swapped my T-case to a 1.2 from a D2. The case is the lt230Q. The q is supposed to stand for "Quiet". At least thats the rumor. Well, the slop is gone. At least, as gone as I can tell. I don't really drive on the street. I do know that it is much reduced for sure compared to what it used to be like. So, I think I was right about the t-case being the issue, and there seems to be a way to reduce the slop as well.

Cheers, Buck

Thanks for the update. We are all in denial..
Old May 11th, 2009, 08:04 PM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
Im glad you guys brought this up. Im new to my D90 and I must say I hate the slop. Major clunk if you dont really ease off the clutch. Of course the 110 didnt have the issue because it was an auto conversion. My 61 109 has a smoother drivetrain than the D90 and Its got a new trans, new axles, new diffs etc. So its sounds like i can blame the transfercase?
Old May 11th, 2009, 09:06 PM
cdb
Clark Bowen
1969 Series 2a/OM617 Bugeye 88"

I think Arbi may be on the right track. I replaced the A arm bushing right above the rear diff and that's all it took. However, it can be a bitch to remove.

Clark
Old May 12th, 2009, 07:21 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Ive done this with all the rest of the rearward bushings.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions