What's the record ? - Page 4 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 26th, 2014, 09:30 AM
solarguy
Abraham Bell
1985 Defender 110 Tithonus
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CavemanDiesel View Post

Abe, l drove past yee haw junction yesterday, it was shut down, some guy selling gator jerky in the parking lot, bummer ,
Raub, congrats, I bet you smile all 850 miles home,
Well I guess we all need to meet and throw a grill up in the parking lot. I will bring the beer.
How is your truck coming along?
I just got off of the phone with Raub and Doug, those guys are having too much fun. Shit I wish I could have made it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 26th, 2014, 09:36 AM
roverman2010
John
1985 LR 90 200Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by solarguy View Post
Raub congrats. We will have to meet in yeehaw junction at night soon for a beer and drag race!!
I can't wait to see it.
Doug, I can't tell you the stress that a newbie goes through when you are caught somewhere in the universe between 2.5 na and a 200tdi. It's really tough to take a good running truck and tear it apart to put a new power plant in it. The lack of a smile was me just letting 4 months of stress out. I was the same way yesterday after getting mine up and going again after being a complete fool at the Fl rally.
Congrats Raug on the new Tdi, yeehaw junction, now that brings back memories

Still looking for that place where I can carry a paddle and get asked what's that.

JnK Services
FC101 GS FFR
57 LR 88" SXF 858
85 LR90
95 D1 Tdi
05 D3 HSE
97 XK8 BRG FHC For Sale
Old May 26th, 2014, 09:58 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Abe we have been calling you Mr 2 Bent Rod's around here. Glad she's back to her former glory.

Raub is on his way back to the auto parts store. 5th trip in search of a power steering belt the right length. I don't know how
these guys can't get it right.... I made a braided nylon cord template for them.

Yee Haw Junction, is that the place on 60 ?

I told Raub he has to make a dump run with all the beer bottles that have accumulated in the shop over the last 3 days before he heads South.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 26th, 2014, 11:40 AM
CavemanDiesel
Eric Smirh
1985 D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarguy View Post

Well I guess we all need to meet and throw a grill up in the parking lot. I will bring the beer.
How is your truck coming along?
I just got off of the phone with Raub and Doug, those guys are having too much fun. Shit I wish I could have made it.
My truck is almost done, got the the head and turbo back from Safari on Friday, should be done this week, time for a road trip,
Old May 26th, 2014, 02:21 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Abe, you're more than welcome to come up and help me....I'm only pulling the engine this weekend

Oh and this is for everyone that said they were getting me a shaver after my last video...

Old May 26th, 2014, 02:43 PM
solarguy
Abraham Bell
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Man you know I would if you weren't so far away.
Old May 26th, 2014, 03:27 PM
UTRPh
Danny V
94 D90 #1260

Registry
Helluva Memorable Weekend Guys!!!

That was fun "watching" y'all vicariously. I'm thinkin OM617 down the road but my motor seems pretty solid now(yea, I know, famous last...).
CONGRATULATIONS & thanx for the entertaining weekend
Old May 26th, 2014, 04:59 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
We have been bombing down country roads here in the rolling foothills of Virginia (picture no door tops, no hood, no front bumper) and have put 25-30 miles on the tdi setup in Raub's 110. No leaks, everything seems to be perfect. We had one heater hose clamp slip but otherwise great. Raub is so used to the natural that he's reaching for the shifter before he even gets to a hill and I have to yell @ him to let the turbo do its thing. He's used to flogging the engine to max rpm in every gear so I showed him how quick a tdi is when you stay below 2500 rpm. Between the power steering and new drive train he's in heaven.

Dividing Creek Imports

Old May 26th, 2014, 06:23 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
That is awesome! Great work!
Old May 26th, 2014, 08:29 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Buttoned it up. Installed a "Mud Pod" this afternoon with VDO Vision egt, tach, and boost gauges. Raub is on his way back to Florida with the completed project.

Dividing Creek Imports

Old May 26th, 2014, 08:44 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Wow....just fucking WOW!!!!

Good times, good blokes, good trucks....what more? .......BEER
Old May 26th, 2014, 08:56 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
Wow....just fucking WOW!!!!

Good times, good blokes, good trucks....what more? .......BEER
Raub spent time on all three of our clan's farms and said he was reluctantly leaving "gods country". Good times.

Dividing Creek Imports

Old May 27th, 2014, 07:14 AM
solarguy
Abraham Bell
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I spoke to Raub last night on his way home. Of course we talked about his truck and his weekend. The one thing we agree on, Doug is a good man. We both feel honored to know him as a friend. Thanks Doug.
Old May 27th, 2014, 07:40 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Congrats to both of you,especially Raub. I would have joined you but I had three non-op LR's in my backyard and four memorial day BBq's to attend. Sounds like you guys had a good time and got alot of work done too. So, is this a new record?
Old May 27th, 2014, 08:12 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
No idea. We spent a lot of time trying to get a drop arm off a lhd steering box I had (kroil and heat and bfh) and in the end, had to fix up a disco drag link to get the power steering done. I also had to fabricate a fair amount on the steering. Between that and no one having the magic 29inch long belt we spent a day. It would have gone a lot faster with more people but aside from Cabell dropping by for a couple of hours it was just Raub and I.

Dividing Creek Imports

Old May 27th, 2014, 08:17 AM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber
54 S1 86", 96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
Statements like " I'm never driving through mud again" have been coming from under the truck all weekend. He took his cross member outside to clean it and said it was 15 lbs lighter when he brought it back in.

Priceless...learning definitely transpired. Congrats Raub! Maybe now it won't start moving backward down the Mtn heading to the top of Wintergreen
Seriously though, inspiring progress.
r-
Ray
Old May 27th, 2014, 09:08 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Glad to hear everything went smooth and that he is cruising down the road.
Old May 27th, 2014, 09:20 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
He's more likely to be throwing four roostertails than rolling backwards now. In the interest of time and how far he had to drive to get home we left the engine in what we determined was stock tune, timing slightly retarded from optimum and very low egts/ie low fueling.
So I didn't get a chance to do my "diesel whisperer" treatment. He has over $2k in Allard stuff on order so we decided to wait and tune it to the new intercooler. http://www.allardaluminiumproducts.c...ercoolers.html

We ran into hickups I hadn't anticipated like the lt230 linkage on an exmod lt77 is totally different than the civilian lt77 linkage. Rather than drill and tap the new trans housing for two large bolts I went scrambling through my t cases lying about and found the correct shift linkage.The drop arm not coming off the power steering box after several heating cycles with a puller and 3 lb hammer also sent me scrambling to set him up with a different (better) steering drag link setup.

Power steering makes tire placement a completely different experience off road. Raub referred to manual steering as "aim and hope" when rock crawling. Installing 4 used VDO vision gauges without the benefit of the included wiring diagrams that come with them or taking a break and going to look on the internet was a pita but only made one wrong guess.

The freshly rebuilt Rob Dassler rebuilt gearbox shifted like butta.

If we hadn't also been installing power steering,wasting many hours trying to buy the right power steering belt, and taking the dash all apart to install new gauges, by my time accounting we did the engine/trans/ and transfer case (drivetrain swap) in about 15hrs. That doesn't include time spent, cleaning the engine compartment from all the blowby oil the 2.5 had sprayed everywhere or wrestling with a new/best routing for the winch leads to the battery etc. That kind of stuff is part of every conversion. I will say this, we didn't cut a single bolt or have to drill out a single screw. The Tithonus trucks are like working on a 5yr old defender, not a 25-30 yr old defender. In my mind well worth the difference in price over a standard ex-mod.

We'll have to wait for Raub to get home for him to post more pictures.

Dividing Creek Imports

Old May 28th, 2014, 12:08 AM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Wow, what a weekend! Full of good times, wrenches, cold beer, grease, busted knuckles and just general funny shit - an absolutly fantastic weekend. The fact that I now have an awsome 200tdi (thank you Dave Lucas!!!) where a slow, oily lump of shit used to reside is just a bonus. Saying thanks to Doug dosen't nearly cover my gratitude for the incredible amount of time, knowledge, energy and above all hospitality he showed me this weekend. The guy is an absolute machine when it comes to swapping Rover engines! After all was said the whole thing looks factory - hell, better than factory! The attention to detail Doug gives (to a truck that's not even his) is amazing.

As for the truck, the motor, LT77 and LT230 were spotless (again, thanks Dave!) except for the power steering throwing us a curveball all went according to plan and we would have been done Sunday night. Now these weren't 10 hour days Doug's dad cooked us breakfast and of course lunch at the local (20 min away) deli/hardware store then BBQ at his brothers house and of course I am loathe to miss cocktail hour on the weekends so I had to drag Doug out from under the truck twist one arm and put a cold Corona Lite in the other.

Between the 200Tdi, Lt77, 1.4 t-case and the power steering it is a completely different truck (for the better) and will take some getting used to. I will try and load pictures tomorrow.

Also Thanks to Zak at Rovers North for getting me the brackets on time and Eric at Lucky8 as well for the Mud Consol.

Doug, thanks again for everything.

Raub Robinson
Old May 28th, 2014, 09:44 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
You left out guns ! I have been on the web looking @ these pistols like yours that shoot buckshot/birdshot rounds. http://www.taurususa.com/gun-selecto....cfm?series=41

Thanks Raub. Given how much time I have spent in the passenger seat of your truck on trails in the past year, I felt I had a vested interest in your project. The rest was just how we roll. Going back to one of our conversations this weekend, a David Byrne line seems appropriate.
" This ain't no party, this ain't no disco, this ain't no fooling around"

BTW- the radio station on the shop stereo you were loving all weekend was http://www.wnrn.org/ aka the sound of "Gods Country". If you go to the right hand top corner of their site you can listen to the station live stream. They have an Iphone app as well. Your truck is now quiet enough you may want to install tunes. If you do, go with a blue tooth one that can get its signal from your phone, or someone else's, with no cords.

Dividing Creek Imports

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions