Whats the best V8 for the defender - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 4th, 2015, 12:56 PM
MotoMando
Armando Centeno
1997 Defender 90 SW

Whats the best V8 for the defender

I got 4.6 swapped into my 97 NAS D90 recently. It was a rebuilt one with a performance cam. Don't know anything about the donor. My 0 to 60 mph went from 11.5 secs to 8.5 secs avg. I drive it like a banshee at the cost of MPG. I and easily keep up with highway traffic and merging is safer. Where as before, maintaining 65 mph up an incline was not possible; I think the previous 4.0 was decent for what it is. That is, back roads and trails not the highways. I would've kept the 4.0 but blew it up (don't ask but it was my fault not the engines).

Edit: I also swapped out the stock ECM EPROMS with Tornado Chip EPROMS. EPROMS from P38 4.6 worked but threw out CEL about the transmission signal missing since our trucks don't have transx ECU.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 4th, 2015, 01:34 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMando View Post
My 0 to 60 mph went from 11.5 secs to 8.5 secs avg. I drive it like a banshee at the cost of MPG.
Thinking this provides some insight. Great that the 4.6 worked out so well. For what its worth, my 3.9L can maintain 75 and traffic on highways no problem. On longer grades, down shifting to 4th is required. But that is due to running 33s. On 31s, it can maintain 75 on (shallow) grades in 5th.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions