What's normal water temp range? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 27th, 2006, 12:58 PM
btate
Bryan Tate
d90

What's normal water temp range?

Finally got the VDO's working, I had a time getting the correct sender. I think it is still too long....
Anyway, what's the normal running temps and ranges with hot/humid conditions?
(94 d90, no A/C)

It was running hot in stopped traffic before I put in fan clutch, therm.
I am trying to have a number in mind that I can begin to worry if it gets too hot

(Now that I can actually see what the temps are)
Thanks
Bryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 27th, 2006, 01:10 PM
Sergeant_V
Abel Villesca
1995 D-90 ST

I usually start paying attention when it gets close to 210 degrees
Old May 27th, 2006, 04:24 PM
souza
Dave Souza
1995 Defender 90 SW #275

I too get concerned at about 210, and I shut it down if it goes any higher. I like to see mine stay at or below 200 personally.

To help that, I run a 160 degree thermostat now, and I like it. The truck rarely sees more than about 195. Normal for my truck is now around 180-185, and then in traffic or on the trail it'll creep up to about 190-200. I suspect this is because of the stock viscous' settings. I know the engine is designed for a normal of 190, but after all the cooling issues I've had I feel a little better seeing that guage below 200.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 27th, 2006, 05:40 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

I agree with Dave completely. Mine operates in the same range and if it goes above 200, I get itchy.
Old May 27th, 2006, 10:18 PM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

Mine, with the TVR-modded engine, runs hotter. Been two years now with no damage, running up to nearly 228 (rarely) while rock-crawling uphill in desert heat. AC fans come on at about 220 degrees and usually knock the temp down in a couple of minutes. I went to 235 one time when fuse to my old electric fans blew. Shut her down and did repair on the spot -- no engine damage. 210 is no great shakes, but 220 makes me nervous, and above 220 and I'm looking for instant solutions. I think I've got it licked now, but this summer will be the final test....

Doug W.
Old May 27th, 2006, 11:41 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Mine runs at a rock-solid 195 in the summer, sometimes lower but never higher.

Doug.... you can get lower temp switches for the A/C fans if you want. It's in the FAQ what you have to cross reference. I have a 165 degree switch running my electric fans.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old May 28th, 2006, 12:29 AM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

Hans, there's another thread running on this topic, and I'm confused:

Dave Souza posted: "I'm getting confused here myself with the different sensors. The A/C cutoff switch is right on the same housing as the thermostat, has two male spade poles and usually has a small brown plastic connector (two wires of course). My understanding is this kills the AC at like 220 or something. This is what we usually remove to put in the VW temp switch."

Does that sensor control only the fans, or is it also used when the AC is turned on, to cut the compressor if the engine coolant temp gets too high? Anyone know for sure?

Doug W.
Old May 28th, 2006, 04:57 PM
Etrier
Jonah Thompson
1994 D90 ST

I'm still debating between replacing the viscous and switching to electrics. Being an old jeep guy I have another question - anyone running electric water pumps? Any downsides to the stock one that might be improved with a big electric high flow one?

Still wondering about the A/C cut-off or turn on provided by the switch in question
Old May 29th, 2006, 12:17 AM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

I honestly don't have A/C on mine, so the sensor was there but not connected to anything. When I get a chance, I'll go over the wiring diagrams and see if I can determine the exact use for it.

Or, you can also test what it does by removing the leads from the sensor, and jumpering it to see what happens when the engine is at a more normal temperature.

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
water