What's it worth? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 29th, 2006, 09:43 AM
Cayoweso
Ed Paez
1997 Defender 90 Soft Top

What's it worth?

Looking to buy my second '97 D-90, found one, original owner, kept outside for about half it's in Florida, so there is more rust in all the common places but the mileage is 19,000, never in an accident, could use some guidance on what to offer. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 29th, 2006, 09:47 AM
tkavan01
Trevor K
94 d90 #1304

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayoweso
Looking to buy my second '97 D-90, found one, original owner, kept outside for about half it's in Florida, so there is more rust in all the common places but the mileage is 19,000, never in an accident, could use some guidance on what to offer. Thanks.
35ish if you where lucky, what is the guy asking?
Old April 29th, 2006, 11:23 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Totally depends on how bad the rust is. If it has really affected the bulkhead (not just the foot panels) and the chasis (enough to replace riggers or the frame itself) that would severly impact the sale. The mileage, though, is outstanding and if there are multiple people looking, you may have some issues. many people will buy this as a collectable and pay between 35-42K. If it was me, though, and I wanted to use the vehicle, it would be in the 25-30 range knowing I had some serious work to repair the rust. If it is primarily cosmetic rust, and nothing else really wrong, 30-35 is probably a good price.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 29th, 2006, 12:26 PM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

the 19,000 mile thing just means it sat undriven. To me that means, 9-10 year old seals that have never been replaced, fluids that have sat and not been changed, as well as very little if any scheduled maintenance. The rust issue points in the direction of it not being cared for. If I had a vehicle that I only drove 2k miles a year I would try and store it inside or at the very least put a good cover on it.

Seems like you may be getting yourself into an expensive undertaking.

My opinion
A wang is another word for, you guessed it, A DICK!

Nothing racist, just pure DICK!
Old April 29th, 2006, 01:05 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheki
the 19,000 mile thing just means it sat undriven. To me that means, 9-10 year old seals that have never been replaced, fluids that have sat and not been changed, as well as very little if any scheduled maintenance. The rust issue points in the direction of it not being cared for. If I had a vehicle that I only drove 2k miles a year I would try and store it inside or at the very least put a good cover on it.

Seems like you may be getting yourself into an expensive undertaking.

My opinion
I would agree. I bought mine with 500 miles after it sat for some time. Very costly mistake. Move on and find a higher mileage one at a much better price.
Old April 29th, 2006, 07:06 PM
Cayoweso
Ed Paez
1997 Defender 90 Soft Top

On an average, well serviced V8 how many miles can you expect before major overhaul?

Follow-up Post:

Good point Sheki
Old May 1st, 2006, 09:45 AM
smenzel
Sandro
1967 Series IIA

I'm not sure what people are getting on their D90's but a friend of mine got 225k miles on the 3.9 in his Range Rover.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions